VA - Lt. Commander Edward Lin charged with espionage & prostitution

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
A Taiwan-born Navy officer who became a naturalized U.S. citizen faces charges of espionage, attempted espionage and prostitution in a highly secretive case in which he is accused of providing classified information to China and Taiwan, U.S. officials said.

(...)

The Navy, which has not identified Lin by name, said the officer is assigned to the headquarters for the Patrol and Reconnaissance Group, which oversees maritime patrol aircraft such as the P-8A Poseidon and P-3C Orion spyplanes and the MQ-4C Triton surveillance drone.

A heavily redacted charge sheet released by the Navy states that the officer faces two specifications of espionage and three specifications of attempted espionage. He is accused of communicating secret information “with intent or reason to believe it would be used to the advantage of a foreign nation,” hiring a prostitute for sex, committing adultery by having sex with a woman who was not his wife, not disclosing foreign travel to the U.S. government as required, and lying about it after the fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ge-and-prostitution-in-highly-secretive-case/

A Taiwanese-born U.S. Navy officer charged with spying for China and Taiwan confessed to the crime, but his attorneys said his confession should not be admissible in court.

Lt. Cmdr. Edward C. Lin's attorneys said he was never read his rights and that the information in question is readily available on the Internet. Lin, a naval flight officer, faces two counts of espionage, three counts of attempted espionage and five counts of communicating defense information. According to charging documents, Lin, 39, met five times with an undercover Mandarin-speaking FBI agent, allegedly giving classified information. It is not clear what information he allegedly provided. Lin, who is married, also faces adultery charges and charges related to soliciting a prostitute.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016...ession-not-valid/9711462540075/?spt=sec&or=tn

Edward Lin Will Serve 6 Years for Mishandling Classified Information, Not Reporting Foreign Contacts

A Navy officer who pleaded guilty to mishandling classified information and not reporting foreign contacts will serve 6 years of confinement and will be dismissed from the Navy, a military judge ruled in a Friday sentencing hearing.

Lt. Cmdr. Edward Lin, 40, was sentenced to a nine-year sentence with the last three years suspended as part of a pre-trial agreement with the government. Along with a 646-day credit for time served in pre-trial confinement, Lin could be released from the brig in about four years.

“While this case didn’t turn out to be related to foreign intelligence — not really a ‘spy’ case — the sentence sends a strong message to the force about taking care to safeguard classified and sensitive information,” Rob “Butch” Bracknell, a former Marine and military lawyer, told USNI News on Friday.

Former naval officer based in Hawaii sentenced for leaking military secrets

Lin then talked about his sister, Jenny, who he says received death threats after he was charged.

“I wasn’t able to protect her and I put her in that position,” Lin added. “I don’t know what I can say to her for how sorry I am. I feel ashamed.”

Lin then moved on to talk about serving the United States.

“No words can express my sadness,” Lin said. “I’m physically ill when I think what could have happened. The thought I put them [sailors] in harm makes me sick.”

In 2013, Lin told Navy officials he was taking leave to head back home to Alexandria, Virginia, when he actually traveled to Taiwan to visit family. Lin said he again claimed Alexandria as his leave destination in 2015 — when he was actually to go to China to see a girl he met online.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back