1016 users online (124 members and 892 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Kirk Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
    I don't believe the Hodel angle...
    I get the vibe that Kirk Douglas knows more than he claims. It is widely believed that he raped Natalie Wood when she was a teen and I have heard from industry friends that there are some rather unsavory facts that will come out when Douglas dies....

Kirk Douglas will be 93 years old on December 9th. He published an autobiography recently.

I know Kirk still alive. He actually has published 2 autobios

I can't help but agree with you, scriptgirl, that Kirk Douglas knows more about this than what he is telling. A lot of those stars from the Golden Age were involved in some shady stuff and the studios fiercely protected them and kept things quiet. I have long felt that Kirk Douglas was somehow more involved in the disappearance of Jean Spangler than what is generally known.

Exactly. There was a doc on Jean's disappearance-it was mainly about the Black Dahlia-but Kirk came off looking shady as hell.

Bump

Next month will mark 61 years that Jean has been missing. Come home soon.

Thanks for bumping. I had forgotten about this case. I wish this case would get re-opened with a new set of eyes. I bet a lot of info could be uncovered, especially now that there are no longer big studio's protecting people and keeping witnesses quiet. The Kirk Douglas angle is interesting. Kirk is not that common of a name (especially in one town) and they did work together in a movie. Makes me wonder if he did know more about her then he led on.

Quote Originally Posted by momtolil View Post
    Thanks for bumping. I had forgotten about this case. I wish this case would get re-opened with a new set of eyes. I bet a lot of info could be uncovered, especially now that there are no longer big studio's protecting people and keeping witnesses quiet. The Kirk Douglas angle is interesting. Kirk is not that common of a name (especially in one town) and they did work together in a movie. Makes me wonder if he did know more about her then he led on.
    Thanks from me for bumping this too, Kat. I keep forgetting about this case as well. I have long thought Kirk Douglas WAS the Kirk mentioned in the note. I've read lots of bios of stars from the 30s and 40s and it's just unbelievable how studio heads rushed to the scene of a crime and did damage control in those days. I also believe that the major studios had the Los Angeles DA on their payroll...there were just too many things that were covered up back then. That's why I've always thought Kirk Douglas knew more about Jean's disappearance than what he said.
    Last edited by MaryLiz; 09-25-2010 at 10:20 PM.

I started reading a little more on this case and found that short blurb about a couple Jean's Hollywood friends and fellow "Earl Carroll Girls" had to say about her disappearance. Probably gossip, but interesting none the less....

Tom Willett
    Hollywoodscreams.com

I first heard of "Jeanie" Spangler while I was at a Hollywood party. I was with some old friends who were show business old timers in Hollywood. Two of the ladies at the party had been Earl Carroll girls. Earl Carroll had a theater in Hollywood which boasted "Through these portals walk the most beautiful girls in the world." To have been an Earl Carroll girl was as much a trophy of beauty as being Miss America.

http://www.hollywoodscreams.com/true.html
    Last edited by JBean; 09-26-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: copyright

Scott is a first name too....sounds like they only checked last names though.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLiz View Post
    I can't help but agree with you, scriptgirl, that Kirk Douglas knows more about this than what he is telling. A lot of those stars from the Golden Age were involved in some shady stuff and the studios fiercely protected them and kept things quiet. I have long felt that Kirk Douglas was somehow more involved in the disappearance of Jean Spangler than what is generally known.
    Indeed. If the allegations in the link below are true then that can also be added to the list of shady Hollywood dealings that should have been investigated. I'm not relating this to Doulglas and Spangler, btw, as I think the link refers to a later date than the 40s.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/20...n-version.html

Updated Charley Project file on Jean.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...gler_jean.html
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces Cloud View Post
    Indeed. If the allegations in the link below are true then that can also be added to the list of shady Hollywood dealings that should have been investigated. I'm not relating this to Doulglas and Spangler, btw, as I think the link refers to a later date than the 40s.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/20...n-version.html
    Wow... That story in your link is intriguing. Now I want to know the answer to this mystery. It's a few years old. Does the blogger ever give up any names in later entries?

The dates may not march, but the story never really gave any concrete dates, did it? Is there any way that the girl in the story (if it's true) could be Jean? It could explain why there are so few clues in her case. and possibly why the Kirk Douglas angle was never really looked into.

The thing I found odd about KD was the fact that he called the police before they even made a connection that the "Kirk" mentioned in the note could have been him. From the quote below, I don't believe he was even on their radar yet, but he called them while vacationing in Palm Springs. I don't think he had anything to do with her disappearance per se, but I think he knows what happened.

From Jean's Wiki page: (BBM)
    "Spangler had completed a bit part in the then unfinished film Young Man With a Horn starring the actor Kirk Douglas. Douglas was vacationing in Palm Springs and heard about the disappearance. He called the police and told them he was not the Kirk mentioned in the note before police knew there was any connection. Douglas was interviewed by the head of the investigating team and stated that he had heard the name and that Spangler had been an extra in his new film, but he didn't know her personally."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Spangler
    Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLiz View Post
    The thing I found odd about KD was the fact that he called the police before they even made a connection that the "Kirk" mentioned in the note could have been him. From the quote below, I don't believe he was even on their radar yet, but he called them while vacationing in Palm Springs. I don't think he had anything to do with her disappearance per se, but I think he knows what happened.

From Jean's Wiki page: (BBM)
    "Spangler had completed a bit part in the then unfinished film Young Man With a Horn starring the actor Kirk Douglas. Douglas was vacationing in Palm Springs and heard about the disappearance. He called the police and told them he was not the Kirk mentioned in the note before police knew there was any connection. Douglas was interviewed by the head of the investigating team and stated that he had heard the name and that Spangler had been an extra in his new film, but he didn't know her personally."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Spangler
    I agree with you Maryliz. I always thought it was strange that he kind of jumped the gun with notifying the police. I always wondered why nobody ever mentioned that or thought it was fishy.

Apparently they did find it suspicious, and they questioned and investigated Douglas, but it didn't really lead anywhere.
    nothing seems black when i see your red shoes

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast