957 users online (187 members and 770 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 244
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885

    Catholic Church to open its doors to gay priests

    A Vatican document expected to be made public soon says the Church will allow gay men who have lived chastely for three years to be candidates for the priesthood.

    The document, which has been in the works for three years will update Vatican policy which up until now made clear that homosexuals should be barred from the priesthood.

    A senior official with the Vatican, who requested anonymity because the document has not yet been released said the new policy will permit candidates who have lived a chaste life for at least three years before their admission to the seminary.

    The Italian weekly Panorama said in its Friday editions that Pope Benedict XVI approved the document during the summer.

    In a similar report Friday, the National Catholic Reporter said seminary officials will be asked to exercise "prudential judgement."

    Vatican teaching holds that homosexual acts are "intrinsically disordered." The Church, however, says that homosexuals should be treated with compassion and dignity.


    Article

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,763
    Vatican teaching holds that homosexual acts are "intrinsically disordered." The Church, however, says that homosexuals should be treated with compassion and dignity.
    And to provide them access to lots of little alter boys to play with.




    Oh - I know that being a homosexual doesn't mean you're a child molestor, but the church does not have a good track record on this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mountains, CA
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Pook
    And to provide them access to lots of little alter boys to play with.




    Oh - I know that being a homosexual doesn't mean you're a child molestor, but the church does not have a good track record on this.
    that is very offensive to me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    i guess molesting and raping little boys and girls counts as "living chastely"....

  5. #5
    poco's Avatar
    poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Flora-frickin-duh
    Posts
    38,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    A Vatican document expected to be made public soon says the Church will allow gay men who have lived chastely for three years to be candidates for the priesthood.

    Article
    This is a NEW thing??????

    So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885
    Quote Originally Posted by poco
    This is a NEW thing??????
    No actually it's not. But now it's official.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    LOL!! that's what i thought too. that's, like, OLD news folks, we already knew that... DUH.....!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mountains, CA
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by reb
    LOL!! that's what i thought too. that's, like, OLD news folks, we already knew that... DUH.....!!
    What is your interpretation of treating an entire group of people "compassionately and with dignity?"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Pook
    And to provide them access to lots of little alter boys to play with.




    Oh - I know that being a homosexual doesn't mean you're a child molestor, but the church does not have a good track record on this.
    Pook, I know you don't mean to be cruel, so let's be clear: in the absence of women as a sexual outlet, a significant percentage of men will respond sexually to other targets, including children and other men. Prisons (and the military whether we admit it or not) prove this all the time.

    There's no reason to believe priests who molest male children are necessarily homosexual. All that is required is that male children be more available to them than, say, adult women, female children, etc.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,763
    There's no reason to believe priests who molest male children are necessarily homosexual.
    Then what are they??

    I'm sorry, I mean no harm at all to anyone who's gay. One of my dearest friends was gay, and we had kids only a few days apart. I trusted her with my son more than I trust anyone else, as she also trusted me.

    What I have a problem with is an organization with a horrible record for protecting children, be they male or female, who looked the other way the whole time. And they still are. And this is also an organization that states that being Gay is wrong in the first place. Why would I want to support anyone who says that?

    The whole point of becoming a priest, according to the catholic church, is that you give up sex for God. Period. Until they change that, there will continue to be problems.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Pook
    Then what are they??

    I'm sorry, I mean no harm at all to anyone who's gay. One of my dearest friends was gay, and we had kids only a few days apart. I trusted her with my son more than I trust anyone else, as she also trusted me.

    What I have a problem with is an organization with a horrible record for protecting children, be they male or female, who looked the other way the whole time. And they still are. And this is also an organization that states that being Gay is wrong in the first place. Why would I want to support anyone who says that?

    The whole point of becoming a priest, according to the catholic church, is that you give up sex for God. Period. Until they change that, there will continue to be problems.
    They are pedophiles. A true pedophile is not attracted to adults, so neither homosexuality nor heterosexuality applies.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    lala land
    Posts
    9,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Maral
    They are pedophiles. A true pedophile is not attracted to adults, so neither homosexuality nor heterosexuality applies.
    Exactly. They molest little boys because they're attracted to little boys. They don't molest women because it's not women that turn them on. That's why allowing priests to marry would never solve the problem - unless they're allowed to marry young boys.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    Exactly. They molest little boys because they're attracted to little boys. They don't molest women because it's not women that turn them on. That's why allowing priests to marry would never solve the problem - unless they're allowed to marry young boys.
    They're attracted to children, to their helplessness. Young girls are molested too, by pedophiles, and by the pedophile priests. But the pedophiles who are priests have less access to the girls - there aren't altar girls, and people ask more questions when a male is around a young girl a lot.

    There's no link between being gay and pedophile any more than heterosexual and pedophile.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    They're attracted to children, to their helplessness. Young girls are molested too, by pedophiles, and by the pedophile priests. But the pedophiles who are priests have less access to the girls - there aren't altar girls, and people ask more questions when a male is around a young girl a lot.

    There's no link between being gay and pedophile any more than heterosexual and pedophile.
    Hi There! Details, I totally agree with your last statement disputing the link between homosexuality and pedophilia but I respectfully disagree regarding female altar servers. Altar servers can be male or female. Case in point... Corpus Christi Catholic Church in St Augustine, FL had female altar servers last Sunday and they have been for the past few years. FWIW
    Freethought is a philosophy not a policy-
    "The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    lala land
    Posts
    9,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    They're attracted to children, to their helplessness. Young girls are molested too, by pedophiles, and by the pedophile priests. But the pedophiles who are priests have less access to the girls - there aren't altar girls, and people ask more questions when a male is around a young girl a lot.

    There's no link between being gay and pedophile any more than heterosexual and pedophile.
    I agree, it's just as possible that some are attracted to little girls as well as little boys, but there are also pedophiles who target one sex or the other. Regardless, these abusive priests are not "gay", they're child molesters. Two totally different things. A homosexual adult who is not a pedophile is no more threat to a child than is a heterosexual adult.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Pope says church doors open, even to aliens
    By dotr in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
  2. Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility
    By Reader in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM
  3. Armored truck's doors pop open and $20 bills fly out
    By Casshew in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 07:36 PM
  4. Lawyer to post list of 2,600 Perv Catholic Priests
    By Casshew in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 04:45 PM