What are the chances an amateur will find a match?

Any123

Reaction score
Honestly, what do you think the chances are of an amateur sitting at home looking for a match will actually find one? It seems slim to me. Especially for the really high profile UIDs that would be thoroughly searched. But even for not well known ones, I read that when they are adding an UID the computer will see if there are close any matches. And LE might be looking through NAMUS as well as the family and other sleuthers. I just wanted to get some opinions in this.

I was wondering about this as well. Has there been many matches made by web sleuth members?

More than they get credit for. If you look at the top of the Identified! section, every case with a green Match! prefix was resolved with the help of one or more of our members. Those are just the ones we know for sure.

More than they get credit for. If you look at the top of the Identified! section, every case with a green Match! prefix was resolved with the help of one or more of our members. Those are just the ones we know for sure.
I haven´t been active here for long, so I did not know that. That´s pretty amazing! Great work!

Dear Any123,

I can guarantee you there will never be any matches if no one tries. If not one person looks at a case and attempts to make a match our rate of success will be ZERO.

However, if just one Websleuths member tries to make a match then there is a chance it could happen.

If two members try then our odds go up. If three members try...You get the picture.

The members at Websleuths have done incredible things. Most of their good work goes unrecognized. We never hear about the member who reaches out to the loved ones of a missing person and offers to help, we never know who is donating to what cause to help the missing, we never know about the members who get up every day and come to Websluths and try like hell to make a match. Sometimes we know they are working hard because they post about their work, which is great. We want to know. Most of the time we don't know. So what if the chances are slim? Ask the loved one of a missing person if they will take slim over none and you'll get a very quick answer.

Even if no matches are made at least Websleuths members are letting all these loved ones of the missing know they care. Letting them know that people from all over the world care enough to come to Websleuths and work on their loved one's case.

You see Any123, success on Websleuths comes in different forms. Making an identification is by far our top priority but how do you rate on the success scale if you help a loved one of a missing person if you help by volunteering If you offer a kind word that truly helps a hurting heart heal.

What are the chances? I don't know but no one is going to give up. Not as long as Websleuths is here.

Hope that answers your question.

Tricia

Honestly, what do you think the chances are of an amateur sitting at home looking for a match will actually find one? It seems slim to me. Especially for the really high profile UIDs that would be thoroughly searched. But even for not well known ones, I read that when they are adding an UID the computer will see if there are close any matches. And LE might be looking through NAMUS as well as the family and other sleuthers. I just wanted to get some opinions in this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back