Tropical Storm Vince has arrived

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Tropical Storm Vince Forms in Atlantic

By JOHN PAIN, Associated Press Writer

Tropical Storm Vince formed Sunday in the far eastern Atlantic, making this hurricane season the second busiest on record, forecasters said.

The 20th named storm of the season formed between the Azores and the Canary Islands in waters that are cooler than what is typically needed for a tropical storm, said Chris Sisko, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

But the storm, which had top sustained winds of about 50 mph, posed no threat to land. That's because it wasn't expected to survive for long due to the cooler waters and other weather systems in the area, Sisko said. Water temperatures are about 73 to 75 degrees, below the 80 degrees usually needed for a tropical storm.

Forecasters said this appears to be the farthest east and north that a tropical storm has formed in recorded history in the Atlantic.

"Vince is a very odd one," Sisko said.

Only one other Atlantic season had more tropical storms and hurricanes since record keeping began in 1851 — there were 21 in 1933.

The hurricane season began June 1 and ends Nov. 30. After Vince, only one name is left for storms this season — Wilma. After that, storms are named after letters in the Greek alphabet. That has never happened before in more than 50 years of regularly naming storms.

This season has been one of the deadliest and costliest in the U.S. in the last century. Hurricane Katrina killed more than 1,100 people on the Gulf Coast and is expected to cause more than $34 billion in insured losses.

At 11 a.m. EDT, Vince's center was located about 515 miles east-southeast of the Azores and about 140 miles northwest of the Madeira Islands. It was moving northeast at about 5 mph.

___

On the Net:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

I'm going to call this one Vincent

VincentPrice.jpg

It does

Although I thought of my disowned cousin
and hope the storm will follow suit AKA
Piss us off but do no real damage :)

Sounds like hurricane season 2005 is petering out. Can't wait until next year. I predict that Omaha will be a boomtown in 2007, though.

What happens when we run out of the alphabet?
Do we usually get to the V's in a single hurricane season?

I heard/read that the last letter to use is W after that they go to the greek alphabet which has not happened in the last 50 years of tracking/naming hurricanes. Might have read that on the site DK linked.

chicoliving said:
I heard/read that the last letter to use is W after that they go to the greek alphabet which has not happened in the last 50 years of tracking/naming hurricanes. Might have read that on the site DK linked.

This is correct, although I hope it doesn't happen...

Vince briefly made Hurricane status, but since then has petered out, and it appears Vince will be history pretty soon. Where's Wilma???? That's the next name in line.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime
Back