Found Deceased Peru - Harry Greaves, 29, British traveler, Pisac, 7 April 2016

MelmothTheLost

Reaction score
[Mods - sorry, Peru wasn't in the drop-down list]

Concern is growing for an English traveller who went missing after going on a solo trek up a mountain in Peru more than a week ago.

Harry Greaves, 29, from Shropshire, was visiting friends in the village of Pisac, near Coscou, when he said he wanted to spend some time alone, on April 7.

Carpenter Mr Greaves told his pals that he would return by April 10, but has not been seen or heard from since.

The Lucie Blackman Trust, which works to support Britons in crisis abroad, said on its website that a thorough search had been made of the area Mr Greaves was visiting with no sign found of him.

It wrote: 'He attended a permaculture course before heading into the jungle with a group. He sent two very positive and happy emails home and seemed to be enjoying his time there.'

The website explained that Mr Greaves was an experienced traveller and was well known for being practical and well prepared.

It said: 'Harry does often desire to travel alone and he is very practical, self-reliant and used to outward bound activities. He set out with full travelling kit including tent and sleeping bag.

According to the entry for Harry on the Lucie Blackman Trust's website (http://www.lbtrust.org/#!Harry-Corder-Greaves/ctu0/57113a610cf2e66d024f4b4b), Harry is 5ft 10in tall, of athletic build and has blue/grey eyes.

Full report in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-seen-went-visit-mountain-Peru-week-ago.html

Sister of missing Briton Harry Greaves: I'm so worried for him
Ellen says he also knows the area fairly well and Harry's friends have told her it's a relatively safe part of Peru.

"We don't know whether he's had a fall or been injured. But of course, we can't rule out that he met someone who's then hurt him," she says.

Ellen's mum and cousin are now flying out to Peru to help search for him. And his friends already out there have organised a helicopter and been in touch with the local police.

"We do feel a bit helpless back home but we're all looking after each other," says Ellen.

"Dad's coping the best he can and has contacted lots of people in Peru."

"If we don't hear anything in the next few days then I'll travel out there with dad too."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...ng-briton-harry-greaves-im-so-worried-for-him

ad_203253630.jpg

Harry Greaves, 29, told friends on April 7 that he wanted to spend the day by himself on the mountain in Pisac, Peru, but on April 10, when they expected to see him again, he did not return.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/18/fears-grow-over-missing-british-backpacker-5823706/#ixzz46BbnH8kX

i would worry too
although the shining path is not active anymore and most peruvians are friendly, nice and curious of foreigners i would have be cautious and avoid trekking on my own. the terrain is rough and, although he was probably acclimatised, altitude sickness can hit at anytime, my brother still gets hit by it and we lived 3000 mts above sea level as children in peru
i hope he is found soon, it can get really cold in the andes at night time

Lupus est *advertiser censored* homini, non *advertiser censored*, quom qualis sit non novit

i would worry too
although the shining path is not active anymore and most peruvians are friendly, nice and curious of foreigners i would have be cautious and avoid trekking on my own. the terrain is rough and, although he was probably acclimatised, altitude sickness can hit at anytime, my brother still gets hit by it and we lived 3000 mts above sea level as children in peru
i hope he is found soon, it can get really cold in the andes at night time

The BBC report describes it as a "relatively safe part of Peru". I wonder what "relatively safe" means. Unfortunately the sight of a lone western traveller can be a huge temptation to local people in many parts of the world.

Some years ago I went on a small group tour to Sri Lanka, one of the highlights of which was an ascent of the sacred mountain known as Adam's Peak. One of the women in the group took a wrong turn towards the end of the descent and found herself on a more isolated path. Within minutes she found herself the focus of attention of 3 or 4 local men in a potentially very dangerous situation. A group of local women, reading the signs, took her under their protection and ensured she reached their village with them, whence word was got to the tour leader that she was safe. It had been a very worrying few hours, not only for her but for the entire group when it was realised she was missing. In two weeks, that was the only bad experience any of us had with the Sri Lankan people but it could have ended very differently than it did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucius79
Back