FL - Troubling discovery after girls drown in pond, St. Petersburg, 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Troubling discovery after girls drown in pond
pond_1461098979567_1760876_ver1.0.jpg

There are some serious questions about what happened in the hours before three teenagers died in a St. Petersburg pond. 10News WTSP put together a timeline to give you a better understanding of what happened from the moment investigators say they spotted the stolen car to when they drove into the pond that's located in a cemetery off I-275 and Gandy Boulevard in St. Petersburg.
Fifteen-year-old Laniya Miller, 15-year-old Ashaunti Butler, and 16-year-old Dominique Battle were the ones who lost their lives.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/pine...discovery-after-girls-drown-in-pond/143264892

I am really confused by the article. What are the questions? What is the troubling discovery? Sounds like they were trying to get away from the police, their car went into retention pond and they drowned.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/3-teenage-girls-killed-after-stolen-car-crashes-into-pond/111588699 (Mar 31, 2016) has 1 min:31 sec news vid clip.

At :19 sec, there are pix of all 3 teens, each w criminal history listed.
---16 y/o Battle had 9 items listed, since Oct 2014, including burglaries of dwelling, gr theft auto, possessing marijuana, violation of probation, and had an active warrant.
---15 y/o Butler had 5 items since May 2015, also violation of probation, gr theft auto, retail theft, resisting officer, possessing marijuana, burglary of dwelling, & pick-up notice as runaway, active warrant.
---By comparison, 15 y/o Miller seems to have been a novice - gr theft auto, Mar 16, 2016.

"....Between these three teens they were arrested seven times just for grand theft auto,” says Sheriff Gualtieri." bbm

IIUC, the second LEO who observed them that evening called in plate & learned car was reported stolen.

Personally, I'm giving credit to Butler's stepsister for common sense:
"...“I was shocked when I heard it, real shocked, because I just saw her,” says Jackson. “I don't think it was a smart decision, whatever she did.” bbm
Too bad that none of these three of these teens <modsnip> used common sense.

Sad, sad, sad. JM2cts.

I am really confused by the article. What are the questions? What is the troubling discovery? Sounds like they were trying to get away from the police, their car went into retention pond and they drowned.

My take is the article is questioning the time it took divers to get to the scene and into the water. Also another question is that according to police the girls' car entered the cemetery going about 35 mph but some of the police vehicles were going much faster entering the area. Since there is a quote from an attorney for one of the girls saying she's trying to get answers for her client's mother my guess is this will be less about 3 girls with criminal records who stole a car and ran from the police and more about alleged mistakes by LE. But that's just my HO

My take is the article is questioning the time it took divers to get to the scene and into the water. Also another question is that according to police the girls' car entered the cemetery going about 35 mph but some of the police vehicles were going much faster entering the area. Since there is a quote from an attorney for one of the girls saying she's trying to get answers for her client's mother my guess is this will be less about 3 girls with criminal records who stole a car and ran from the police and more about alleged mistakes by LE. But that's just my HO

How fast is one expected to round up divers in the middle of the night?

I find it troubling that 3 girls the ages of these 3 had such extensive records already, and that they were still out running around stealing cars. And that they thought it was okay to flee from the police.

The parents have retained a lawyer/s because they want facts ~ lawsuit!

They were all good girls and the poor LE officers should have jumped into the muck, no matter what, to save them!!

No room for personal responsibility here. Good girls. Bad LE!

I even had someone on a local news site tell me I condone MURDER because I wasn't jumping on the bandwagon that LE should be blamed instead of these girls.

Said it before, I'll say it again - These girls were out of control and the parents did nothing to stop them. They stole a car and when they realized they were had, they tried evading LE because they didn't want to get caught - again - and ended up drowning in that pond.

Many cars are much safer in that neighborhood now!!

RIP girls. That being said, where are their parents culpability? I live 15 minutes from here and it's not the safest city to begin with. Sad story all around but I am with LE on this one.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
Edited to fix typo

I really think the "troubling discovery" about this case are the rap sheets of these very young individuals. That's plain crazy!

And very sad indeed....

I see it both ways it's horrible that these 3 girls died because they were running from police, in a stolen car. However, who wouldn't try to get to them, no matter their criminal records. How do you not try your hardest when people are drowning ?

Yeah this is rather disturbing I agree. Like, how can the police not be obligated to... IDK, protect and serve by trying to save lives? Like someone just mentioned, most people would try to save a drowning person simply because of a natural moral instinct to value life. How many people were awful teenagers and ended up productive adults? Plenty. These girls never get the chance to outgrow their stupid choices.

Yeah this is rather disturbing I agree. Like, how can the police not be obligated to... IDK, protect and serve by trying to save lives? Like someone just mentioned, most people would try to save a drowning person simply because of a natural moral instinct to value life. How many people were awful teenagers and ended up productive adults? Plenty. These girls never get the chance to outgrow their stupid choices.

Supreme court ruled police aren't obligated to save you. And in this case it wouldn't be easy.
And never mind that police didn't even know who was in the car. They could have been trying to save this person and this person could have hurt them (considering that car was reported stolen).

Three minors are dead. Their lives are much more important that a stolen car. Yes they've been in trouble with the law before, but that's all we know - they may have been abused children acting out, for all we know. And they could have turned their lives around and become valued members of the community as they got older. They did not deserve to die screaming as cops looked on. Their lives were worth infinitely more than any amount of stolen cars or shoplifted items.

Again, minors were trying to outrun police, the car they were in was stolen, it went into retention pond, and they drowned. I don't see any mystery here in this case. Supreme court ruled police don't have a legal obligation to save you.
So police didn't have an obligation to jump in their after the car. In any case, it wouldn't be easy to save them for someone unqualified for underwater rescue.

And what was the State of Florida juvie court system doing to help them outgrow their stupid choices?(although I disagree with the latter) Just slap them on the wrist and send them out the revolving door?:moo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back