UK UK - Angela Bradley, 34, Abbeydale, Gloucestershire, 16 Jan 1995

dotr

Reaction score
angela bradey.jpg

http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/new..._new_police_enquiries_into_her_disappearance/

LEDBURY man says new police enquiries into the mystery disappearance of his sister 21 years ago have made him question his long-held belief that she drowned in the Severn.

Phil Miles, 64, now suspects that “something untoward”

may have happened to sister Angela Bradey in 1995 – or that she could still be alive.

Troubled Angela, 34, who had suffered from anorexia and underwent an abortion after becoming pregnant in a psychiatric hospital, disappeared on January 16 in 1995.

It was only days after she had been discharged into the community because of the closure of Coney Hill Hospital in Gloucester.

http://www.gloucesterreview.co.uk/a...ned to Angela?&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2016
January 2016
Police have marked the 21st anniversary of a Gloucester librarian’s disappearance by issuing a new appeal for information on her whereabouts.

Angela Bradley was 34 when she went missing on January 16, 1995.

She was never found and her parents both died without knowing what became of her. Andrew and Florence Bradley were dramatically changed by the disappearance of their daughter, say the family. From being sociable outgoing people who enjoyed frequent outings together the couple became depressed and rarely left their home.

"We’d particularly like to speak to anyone who may have spoken to her during the days leading up to her disappearance or anybody who can help us build up a picture of Angela’s lifestyle prior to her disappearance"

At the time that Angela went missing she was wearing light blue trousers, a dark blue tracksuit top, pink socks and black boots.

Anyone who may be able to provide information on Angela’s disappearance is asked to contact Gloucestershire Police on 101, quoting incident number 281 of January 13 2016.

At the time of her disappearance police searched the River Severn in the area of Mythe Bridge, near Tewkesbury, where her car was found and there were also helicopter sweeps of the area.

Angela’s brother Phil, 64, of Ledbury, says she was an ’intelligent but quiet woman’ who had suffered from anorexia and spent weeks in the former at Coney Hill psychiatric hospital not long before her disappearance.

When the hospital closed she moved into her parents’ home but went missing a few days later.

Police accept she may have drowned in the Severn but say if that is what happened it would be very unusual for no trace of her body ever to be found.

Noting the spelling of last name sometimes spelled as Bradey or Bradley.

"I had always assumed she went into the river," said Phil. "But I think the police now feel that the leaving of the car by the river was a decoy.

"The police have pointed out to me that when someone goes into the river the body always surface sooner or later. Angela's never has.

"My gut feeling has now changed and I now wonder whether something unforeseen happened to her."

Phil is hoping that police plans to talk to people who knew her and retired police officers involved in the original inquiry will - with the help of new technology - shed more light on the mystery.

Angela's parents, Andrew and Florence, who lived in Hucclecote, died five months apart in 1993 and 1994, both in their nineties, still wondering what happened to their daughter.

Florence held onto the belief that Angela was still alive and would one day return, and she gave Phil some money to pass on to Angela if she ever came back.

Angela's weight had dropped to four and a half stone about a year before her disappearance, which was the main reason she was admitted to Coney Hill Hospital. She moved out of Coney Hill to a 'half way house' where she was living with other patients until her disappearance.

snip
On the evening she vanished she was relaxing with housemates but then suddenly said 'I'm late. I've got to go.' No-one knew what she could be late for or where she was going.

Three months before her disappearance Angela had withdrawn £9,000 from her bank account. No explanation for that withdrawal, which was made while she was still in hospital, has ever been found.

snip
"We don't know what happened to her after that point and her body has never been found. We're not ruling out any possibilities – including the chance she started a new life in a different area or was the victim of foul play. We simply don't know at this moment so are keeping an open mind.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/...her-believes/story-28949667-detail/story.html

Poster, no info though.

attachment.php

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/help-us-find/angela-bradley-95-000748

Attachments

• Angela Bradley.jpg
    Angela Bradley.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 59
So when did she disappear...it's states 1995 but then says mom and dad dies in 93 and 94 respectively wondering what became of their daughter..

Shoddy reporting??
Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Maybe something to do with family conflict?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...went-missing-but-he-was-not-the-only-one.html
AssetAccess_9__2227879a.jpg
Angela Bradley

Last seen on January 16, 1995

MARRIED Angela was 34 when she was last seen, in her hometown of Abbeydale, Gloucs.

Sister Brenda Gilder, 69, is convinced she is alive, and disappeared in order to escape their domineering mother.

Brenda said: “Two years after she disappeared she left a message on my answerphone, in Latin. It said she was alive, but dead to the family.

“She wanted to disappear, probably because of my mother. My mother was interfering in her marriage.” She added: “The police have always been very good.”

Brenda wants to let Angela know their mother died two years ago, and to urge her to get in contact.

rbbm.

[video=youtube;ALiCfsvqaFo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiCfsvqaFo[/video]

The correct surname is Bradley. Ancestry has a marriage record of Angela P Miles to Stephen W Bradley in Gloucester in June 1981. Angela P Miles was born in Q4 1960. All this fits with the reported age and location, and since her brothers surname is Miles I assume these are the correct records.

Given the comments of Angela's sister about the mother (who I think died circa 2013, not in the 90s) and her interference in the marriage it would be interesting to know the position of that marriage at the time of the disappearance. There seems to have been no comment in 20 years by the husband and I can find no divorce record (or remarriage). The domestic situation in 1995 is very unclear and may cast some light on the various possibilities.

The correct surname is Bradley. Ancestry has a marriage record of Angela P Miles to Stephen W Bradley in Gloucester in June 1981. Angela P Miles was born in Q4 1960. All this fits with the reported age and location, and since her brothers surname is Miles I assume these are the correct records.

Given the comments of Angela's sister about the mother (who I think died circa 2013, not in the 90s) and her interference in the marriage it would be interesting to know the position of that marriage at the time of the disappearance. There seems to have been no comment in 20 years by the husband and I can find no divorce record (or remarriage). The domestic situation in 1995 is very unclear and may cast some light on the various possibilities.

Thanks for the great information!
Interesting that the husband apparently has not responded to the missing person appeal, as far as i know, and no body has been located to date.
Wonder if Angela's mother might have been on to something?
imo, speculation.

Has anyone seen Angela's height listed?

So when did she disappear...it's states 1995 but then says mom and dad dies in 93 and 94 respectively wondering what became of their daughter..

Shoddy reporting??

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes, I was wondering the same. Now it is clear that that was incorrect as her mum passed away years later.

What I am also confused is that she disappeared after being released from hospital due to anorexia but not sure where to. One article states that after hospital she was released to half way house to live with other patients and other article states she moved to parents house.

So which one is it? Which place did she disappeared from few days after release?

I also noted that none of the articles mention her husband or her living with him anymore around that time. There clearly was some separation some time prior to this. I also do wonder if she had any children at this point.

Her pregnancy while in hospital, her withdrawal of few thousands pounds few month prior, her meeting someone unknown on the day she disappeared all do raise further questions.

Thanks for the great information!
Interesting that the husband apparently has not responded to the missing person appeal, as far as i know, and no body has been located to date.
Wonder if Angela's mother might have been on to something?
imo, speculation.

Has anyone seen Angela's height listed?

She has Doe Network profile:

Angela Bradley

Missing since January 1995 from Gloucester, United Kingdom
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 34 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; brown eyes. Slim build.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Angela disappeared in January 1995, leaving her white Citron AX car with the keys in the ignition and her glasses, which she couldn't see well without, on the dashboard.
Angela had been living with her parents in Gloucester and was depressed and ill at the time.
Angela is described as being a quietly spoken, very reserved, intelligent person who loves animals and wildlife. She worked many years as a librarian in Gloucester.

The Doe Network: Case File 2458DFUK

Just to add: At the time that Angela went missing she was wearing light blue trousers, a dark blue tracksuit top, pink socks and black boots.

Last edited:
Few extra bits and pieces from different articles: (some information bolded by me)
===
Mrs Bradley's brother, Philip Miles has provided a DNA sample so it can be checked against details of unidentified bodies held by the Missing Persons Bureau. (in 2015 or 2016)

He said his sister had suffered from anorexia and had attended Coney Hill mental hospital until it had closed in 1994, after which she was placed in a house in Gloucester. It was while she was staying with her parents for the weekend that she disappeared.

Police reopen 1995 missing woman case

Angela, who had suffered with anorexia, was last seen in her home city of Gloucester at around 7pm on January 16, 1995 when she drove into the city centre and dropped off her fiance at his home in the Brunswick Square area.

Her car, a white Citroen AX was later found abandoned ten miles away in Tewkesbury, close to the River Severn. Her spectacles were on the dashboard and the keys were in the ignition.

GLOUCESTER: Whatever happened to Angela?

Angela’s weight had dropped to four and a half stone about a year before her disappearance, which was the main reason she was admitted to Coney Hill Hospital. While in hospital she became pregnant by another patient but was advised to terminate the pregnancy because of the medication she was taking.

Phil said: “She was still married but she and her husband had separated. The abortion made her depressed but when the hospital closed days before Angela’s disappearance she was much better, weighed more and was driving again.”

She had always wanted children and before she was ill had been for all sorts of tests to find out why she did not get pregnant. Nothing was wrong with her. But her husband wouldn’t go for tests himself. I think that caused her a lot of anxiety and aggravated her anorexia," said Phil.

"Angela was last seen in Reservoir Road in Gloucester at about 7pm on January 16 1995 and her car was found abandoned later that evening.

What happened to Angela?

Last edited:
Adding small approximate map of movements. From Abbeydale to Gloucester, then Gloucester centre - Brunswick Square and lastly Tewkesbury.

While one news article is stating that Tewkesbury is only 10 miles away, map is showing distance as 40 miles away. Interesting that she was last seen at 7pm and car was found quite quickly, on the same evening so far away. That does give only small window of time.

What sticks in my mind is glasses left behind. I do not know how bad her vision was but no one really takes them of willingly unless asleep or otherwise...

Map - Google Maps

Adding small approximate map of movements. From Abbeydale to Gloucester, then Gloucester centre - Brunswick Square and lastly Tewkesbury.

While one news article is stating that Tewkesbury is only 10 miles away, map is showing distance as 40 miles away. Interesting that she was last seen at 7pm and car was found quite quickly, on the same evening so far away. That does give only small window of time.

What sticks in my mind is glasses left behind. I do not know how bad her vision was but no one really takes them of willingly unless asleep or otherwise...

Map - Google Maps
Thanks for all these great posts Al Ka!
Thinking about AB leaving her glasses in the car and wondering if she could even reach whatever destination (possibly the river?) she had in mind without them?
Maybe she left everything, the car, keys and glasses behind so that people would think she drowned, but actually left wearing a different pair of glasses?
If it was suicide one might expect that AB removed the money from her account to give to somebody, otherwise thinking/hoping she used the money to runaway somewhere.
imo, speculation.

Thanks for all these great posts Al Ka!
Thinking about AB leaving her glasses in the car and wondering if she could even reach whatever destination (possibly the river?) she had in mind without them?
Maybe she left everything, the car, keys and glasses behind so that people would think she drowned, but actually left wearing a different pair of glasses?
If it was suicide one might expect that AB removed the money from her account to give to somebody, otherwise thinking/hoping she used the money to runaway somewhere.
imo, speculation.

That one tiny detail, her glasses left behind does make me think of foul play.

£ 9 000 was huge amount of money then... it could be for her new life but we also know that many people did disappear shortly after giving money to someone else.

I really do wonder about that fiance. If it was the same person from her hospital, patient she was pregnant with. She was there for anorexia. What was he there for, in mental hospital??? He might be the one who she gave money to. And most importanty, last person who have seen her.

Did he disappear too?

Tewkesbury is 10 miles (approx) from Gloucester. I lived in Chepstow for a while and sometimes went up that way. It is a short run. And whilst the River Severn is tidal and bodies can get taken out into the Bristol Channel, the location is far enough up the river to make that very unlikely. A body could get snagged in vegetation, but even then it would be likely to be found at some point as the river is well used. So I doubt she went into the river. The claim of the sister that she received a message 2 years after the disappearance tips me to the deliberate disappearance theory, especially with the missing £9000. I find it hard to believe her sister would mistake the source of a phone message and I assume the Latin aspect had some relevance which she recognised. The glasses left behind do not bother me. I keep a spare pair in my car and forget they are there for months at a time. If she has started a new life I trust all has worked out for the best.

The claim of the sister that she received a message 2 years after the disappearance tips me to the deliberate disappearance theory, especially with the missing £9000. I find it hard to believe her sister would mistake the source of a phone message and I assume the Latin aspect had some relevance which she recognised.

I can't find this information. What was the actual message?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back