Reaction score
3442DFON_LARGE.jpg
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3442dfon.html
Dawn Eva Carisse
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: August 10, 2001
Location Last Seen: North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Physical Description
** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: February 18, 1958
Age at Time of Disappearance: 43 yrs
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5' 6
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 114 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Green
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar Left Cheek, Faint; Mark Abdomen, two moles on her abdomen; She has short term memory loss due to Cardiac arrest several years earlier.

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/...ing-persons-and-homicide-investigations-86419

The public’s help, however dated or minimal, may be the crucial link we need to help solve a case."

Jan 12, 2016
Detective Helen Kent

The public’s help, however dated or minimal, may be the crucial link we need to help solve a case and our first goal today is to encourage the public to contact police or Crime Stoppers with any information they may have.
We have not ruled out foul play in some of these missing person investigations. In most cases, the disappearances show a marked departure from the missing person’s behaviour. Because so much time has passed, we are not ruling out the fact that we may discover human remains in most of these cases.
For missing persons we suspect are deceased, matching found human remains to their case is not easy.
The North Bay Police Service is closely following updates on a proposed bill called “Lindsey’s Law” which will be a very helpful tool for police in linking missing person cases to human remains that have been found across Canada.
Also, a new DIP3 software program, developed by a forensic dentist from Western University, which matches dental records of missing persons to found human remains is a new tool that the North Bay Police Service is currently exploring and hoping to apply to our missing person cases, where we have dental records.

snip>

Dawn Eva Carisse

At the time of her disappearance close to 15 years ago, on August 9th, 2001, Dawn Eva Carisse was a 43-year old patient of the North Bay Psychiatric Hospital. Dawn had spoken about leaving the hospital to visit her family. It’s possible she attempted to locate her family in the Kirkland Lake or Sudbury areas.

March 16 2011
http://www.northernnews.ca/2011/03/16/kl-woman-still-missing-a-decade-after-disappearance

KIRKLAND LAKE -Dawn Carrise, a former Kirkland Lake resident, went missing from the North Bay Psychiatric Hospital Aug. 10, 2001 and hasn't been seen since.

Now her daughter Sandra McNeil, of Kirkland Lake, is hoping to find answers and ultimately her mother.

McNeil, who was 15-years old when her mother walked away from the North Bay Psychiatric Hospital, said she can't understand how a person could just walk aware from a secure facility, where she had been a patient for about 10 years.

Carrise lived with a mild form of depression, was hospitalized for treatment due to an aneurysm and amnesia. She suffered short term memory loss as a result of a cardiac arrest several years prior.

snip>

"I hope to get the story out because maybe somebody out there knows something," said McNeil. "I'm hoping my mother is alive. I hoping to find her and get some answers."

snip>

At the time Dawn Carrise went missing she was described as 43 years old, five feet six inches tall, weighing 114 to 116 pounds, brown hair, short with bangs, parted in the middle, with green eyes. She had a faint scar on her left cheek and two moles on her abdomen. She was wearing a long pink dress with faint white flowers, short sleeves, buttoned on the front, with a drawstring criss-cross on her back. She was wearing brownish/red closed toe sandals and had an overnight bag described as gym bag dark in colour.

Anyone who thinks they may have information about Dawn Carrise is asked to telephone the North Bay Police Services at 705-497- 5555 or Crime Stoppers at 705-476-8477 or 1-800-222- 8477.

Hi everyone and Dotr. For those who are interested on the Facebook site HELP FIND DAWN EVA CARISSE!!!! a lot of pictures of Dawn. I wonder if she was ever considered to be Ontario Rockwood Jane Doe 2005. I'm looking and looking and still can't make my mind up.

Hi ... comment from the facebook group .... I'm also wondering if she was considered to be Ontario Rockwood Jane Doe 2005.

11 mars 2011
This is so troubling. Nicole, what happened with the DNA and the unidentified woman in Toronto?

Commentaires
33816507_10156108507968153_8563012800685801472_n.jpg

Nicole Hopkins It took a long time to get the results but it was not a match. I was not very hopefully as I did not find the picture looked at all like my mother. I have requested my DNA to be kept on file although the papers said they are suppose to be destroyed , so hopefully they will keep them for future use.

Hi ... comment from the facebook group .... I'm also wondering if she was considered to be Ontario Rockwood Jane Doe 2005.

11 mars 2011
This is so troubling. Nicole, what happened with the DNA and the unidentified woman in Toronto?

Commentaires
33816507_10156108507968153_8563012800685801472_n.jpg

Nicole Hopkins It took a long time to get the results but it was not a match. I was not very hopefully as I did not find the picture looked at all like my mother. I have requested my DNA to be kept on file although the papers said they are suppose to be destroyed , so hopefully they will keep them for future use.

As I read it, there was not a match with an UID found in Toronto. But Rockwood Jane Doe was not found in Toronto, was she? I'm I right that this aren't the same UID's we talking about?

As I read it, there was not a match with an UID found in Toronto. But Rockwood Jane Doe was not found in Toronto, was she? I'm I right that this aren't the same UID's we talking about?

Good Morning, Yes, Rockwood Jane Doe was not found in Toronto. I don't know who the UID was that was tested for a match with Dawn's daughter.... when her daughter first posted about doing a DNA swab she didn't identify where the body had been found, and it was a member of the facebook page that identified Toronto.

Police Report posted by Dawn's daughter

Thanks Jaanniss.

In addition to the file we know.
From the police-rapport: the clothes she was wearing when she went missing:
"Dawn Carisse was last seen wearing a long pink dress with short sleeves and a buttoned front. The dress was covered with faint white flowers and had a draw string cris-crossed across the back of the dress. Dawn was also wearing brownish-red closed toed sandals.

At the time of her disappearance she had brown short cut hair, with bangs and slight sideburns.

According to complainant: All her belonging were still at the hospital and she had no money or a change of clothes.

Hi everyone and Dotr. For those who are interested on the Facebook site HELP FIND DAWN EVA CARISSE!!!! a lot of pictures of Dawn. I wonder if she was ever considered to be Ontario Rockwood Jane Doe 2005. I'm looking and looking and still can't make my mind up.

Still pondering on the Ontario Rockwood Jane Doe being Dawn. According to this article Who is the Rockwood Jane Doe? Remains of woman still unidentified as 10th anniversary approaches

Jane Doe was missing two teeth and had a dental plate. The plate wasn't numbered, so police don't know where it was manufactured.

I wonder if there is something known about Dawn's dentals.

Thanks Jaanniss.

In addition to the file we know.
From the police-rapport: the clothes she was wearing when she went missing:
"Dawn Carisse was last seen wearing a long pink dress with short sleeves and a buttoned front. The dress was covered with faint white flowers and had a draw string cris-crossed across the back of the dress. Dawn was also wearing brownish-red closed toed sandals.

At the time of her disappearance she had brown short cut hair, with bangs and slight sideburns.

According to complainant: All her belonging were still at the hospital and she had no money or a change of clothes.

Along with the identified clothing Dawn was last seen wearing, she May have had a dark duffle bag in her possession

Dawn's family has posted on their facebook page that Dawn's belongings were returned to her mother by the hospital. They noted that all that was missing was her status card. Although the original missing person info released by LE identified her as white, she has status with Abenakis of Oddanak Band - Quebec.

Last edited:
Along with the identified clothing Dawn was last seen wearing, she May have had a dark duffle bag in her possession

Dawn's family has posted on their facebook page that Dawn's belongings were returned to her mother by the hospital. They noted that all that was missing was her status card. Although the original missing person info released by LE identified her as white, she has status with Abenakis of Oddanak Band - Quebec.
From the link. rbbm.

"Dawn Carisse always spoke of leaving the hospital and going to where she believed her family would be. Her family was in the Kirkland Lake area and then moved to Sudbury. She was aware of both, and her possible destinations were Kirkland Lake or Sudbury. She was last seen on Highway 11 North, in North Bay, Ontario"

From the link. rbbm.

"Dawn Carisse always spoke of leaving the hospital and going to where she believed her family would be. Her family was in the Kirkland Lake area and then moved to Sudbury. She was aware of both, and her possible destinations were Kirkland Lake or Sudbury. She was last seen on Highway 11 North, in North Bay, Ontario"

Between 1997 and Aug 9, 2001 Dawn eloped from North Bay Psychiatric Hospital 9 times and was found wandering on hospital property or hitchiking along Hwy 11. Her actions were expalined as wanting to visit her children. Due to her loss of short term memory, it was recorded she experienced confusion and on her attempt prior to Aug 9, 2001 it was reported she was found heading south and not north to Kirkland Lake. I think it's important to note here that if she was travelling to Sudbury, she would have been travelling south.

Dawn is stated indigenous (First Nations) in this file. All the time it was reported wrong.

Dawn Eva Carisse / North Bay Police

Maybe somewhere stated; by looking at her picture. She most likely has pierced ears.

Dawn was living with short-term memory loss and was often easily disoriented. Two years prior to her 2001 disappearance, she left the hospital grounds in an attempt to see her children, who were living in the Kirkland Lake area at the time. She was later found hitchhiking along Highway 11 in the opposite direction of Kirkland Lake. Since 1997, Dawn had eloped nine times from the Ward, to be later found by hospital staff walking on the hospital grounds or on Highway 11.

"she was Always in search of her children". How sad.

Carisse is one of the detachment’s 13 unsolved missing persons cases. Six of these people disappeared from the same location: the former psychiatric hospital, which was demolished in 2013.

While Wilson said he feels as though the detachment has developed a solid working relationship with the current North Bay Hospital’s Psychiatric Ward, missing person investigations in general are extremely frustrating for police agencies because Ontario hospitals are bound by privacy laws.

Article from July 2019.
ONTARIO COLD CASE: Patient 1 of 6 to vanish after fleeing psych unit

Last edited:
The police report says she was on Tegretal, a medicin against depression.

I think Tegretal is non-existing. Maybe a typo? There is Tegretol
(carbamazepine). Carbamazepine is used to manage certain types of seizures. It's also used to treat the facial nerve pain of trigeminal neuralgia and to treat acute mania and prevention of bipolar (manic-depressive) disorders.

Tegretol - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions - Canada.com

Did she had seizures or any of the above things mentioned? I'm not a medical expert but my feeling says this is not the first medicin that comes to mind when you want to treat a depression. It's in the first place an anti-epilepsy/seizure medicin.

Also abruptly stopping this medication is not good for you, what would have been the case, after she went missing. This medication has some ugly side effects too.

From the article in the above post
“She had a blood clot that stopped her heart,” her daughter Sandra said. “She was revived but ended up with brain damage and it left her like a child so she wasn’t able to take care of herself.

Maybe she got a stroke, caused by another blood clot in the brain, after she went missing (maybe even caused by stopping the medication). Just thinking out loud.

Maybe a medically skilled member can be off help.

The suspect in the 1998, Sudbury, ON, murder of Renee Sweeney, moved to North Bay some time after 1998 and was working as a lab technician in the North Bay hospital when he was arrested recently.

I wonder where he did his training. In the early 2000s, Cambrian College/Nipissing U at one time had student placement opportunities at the psych hspt.

Coincidence perhaps. I really don't have enough info to connect the Sweeney murder suspect and this missing persons case.

Not a medical expert, but some medicines are used off label.
I am in such case with another medication.
My doctor explained to me that brain damage changes sensitivity to psychotropic medications. He also explained to me that mood stabilizers can be prescribed when a depressive patient doesn't respond to antidepressants. Tegretol for depression without bipolar disorder is not common, but it happens (source: my doctor).

For Notice patient - TEGRETOL 200 mg, comprimé sécable - Base de données publique des médicaments, memory loss is a possible side effect of Tegretol.

However, brain injury can cause memory loss, but the Tegretol can cause it too.

View attachment 92567
The Doe Network: Dawn Eva Carisse - 3442DFON
Dawn Eva Carisse
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: August 10, 2001
Location Last Seen: North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Physical Description
** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: February 18, 1958
Age at Time of Disappearance: 43 yrs
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5' 6
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 114 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Green
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar Left Cheek, Faint; Mark Abdomen, two moles on her abdomen; She has short term memory loss due to Cardiac arrest several years earlier.

... photo found .... maybe a likeness of Dawn closer to the time of her disappearance ...

Attachments

• dawn.jpg
    dawn.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 22

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members