Where to post?

rhapsdy

Reaction score
I never seem to know where to look for or to post new topics. I just did a search for a missing person and didn't find anything on our site about her.

Here is the news article:
http://www.wbrz.com/news/iberville-...ium=social&utm_source=facebook_WBRZ_Channel_2

"Deputies have identified the body of a woman that was found by a fisherman in Whiskey Bay over the weekend.Investigators say they were able to identify the woman as 29-year-old Elizabeth Ann Ferrell, of Humble, Texas, with assistance from the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab and AFIS."

Where would I put this and how do I format the title of the thread? (all threads seem to have similar titles, but I'm not sure if there is a specific template I'm supposed to use?)

Hi rhapsdy,

It looks like we have a thread located here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...rish-Female-25-35-found-in-Whiskey-Bay-Apr-16

It was created before her identity was known. We have a whole section devoted to trying to identified those poor souls who are unfortunate to be found deceased without theirs known.

Please go to the linked thread and update the thread by posting your link. Then alert on your own post so that mods can move the thread to identified and update it's title with the young woman's name.

you are right that when starting a thread there is a preferred titling method. It is State Abbreviation - person's name, age, city or county and day month year.

So if you had needed to start one for this young lady it would be

LA - Elizabeth Ann Ferrell, 29, Iberville Parish, Whiskey Bay, 24 April 2016

Regarding placement: If you had needed to start a thread for this case and the info you had was a missing person found deceased with the case being investigated as a homicide, I'd put it in Crimes in the News (if the victim was a minor, it would go in Crimes-Spotlight on Children). It goes in Missing Discussion only when the person has not yet been located.

As tlcya said, there are indeed preferred title formats we use. Let me expand on that just a little bit. In Missing, for example, it's just the very basic info:

Location code - Name, age, city/town, date

In the Crimes forums, it's pretty much the same, but you're allowed to use whatever space is left between age and city to briefly describe what happened to the victim. We use victims' names in titles because we prefer to highlight them rather than perps, but sometimes a victim's name hasn't been released yet and so you go with whatever info you have.

In the Unidentified forum, we don't have names and usually not even a date of death, so the titles there are more location-based and descriptive.

I hope that helps clear up any confusion! :seeya:

ETA: Also, since Elizabeth was identified so quickly, I think her case would get the most attention in Crimes in the News, so I'll go ahead and move it there.

thanks for all the info and help clarifying everything! I added the news story and identification information to the original missing persons found deceased thread. Hope that helps!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back