BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Inkster police: Mom is suspect after baby found in bathtub dies

1-year-old boy's mother being held as suspect

By Halston Herrera - Digital news editor , Nick Monacelli - Reporter

Posted: 10:52 PM, April 25, 2016
Updated: 12:13 PM, April 26, 2016

INKSTER, Mich. - The mother of a 1-year-old boy who died after being found face down in a bathtub Monday night in an Inkster home is now being held as a suspect in her son's death, Local 4 has learned.

“We’re trying to put all the pieces together," Lt. Jeffrey Twardzik said. “At this point, she was the adult in the home at the time of this incident. We have some information that’s leading us to look at all directions.”

Twardzik said the mother has been cooperative with police.

Police said the boy was found in a home on Avondale Street after officers responded to an emergency call about the toddler not breathing...

He also said the boy and other children had recently been returned to the home after a Child Protective Services investigation.

“We’re in cooperation with CPS to find out what exactly happened the first time, and why the children were taken out of the home," Twardzik said...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/boy-found-burned-unresponsive-in-bathtub-in-inkster-police-say

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...inkster-boy-critical-pulled-hot-tub/83529194/

UPDATE: Child Fatally Burned In Hot Bathtub Just Days After Being Returned By CPS; Mom In Custody

April 26, 2016 9:40 AM

INKSTER (WWJ) – A 2-year-old boy who died after being pulled from a tub of scalding hot water had apparently just been returned to the family by Child Protective Services workers and now, police are wondering if his mother is responsible for his death.

The boy’s mother called police around 7 p.m. Monday after finding the child found face down in about three inches of water at her home on Avondale Street, just east of John Daly Road in Inkster.

When first responders arrived at the scene, the child was still in the upstairs bathtub...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/04...athtub-just-days-after-being-returned-by-cps/

I am sick about this poor child and his siblings. What have they been enduring. Also, just by casual glance as pictures the baby looked malnourished, this face was very thin.

Brother tried to save Inkster toddler, describes horrific scene
Anthony Rumford was just 20 months old when he climbed into a tub full of hot water. By the time his mother found him he was scalded all over and was struggling to breathe. His older brother tried to perform CPR, but it was too late. Now, his own mother is in police custody.

(...)

Inkster police arrived Monday night at the home on Avondale. The boy's mother was inside with the boy and three other children, including 13-year-old Brandon Rumford. He was sleeping when he woke up to her screams.

"She was like the baby, the baby. I was like where is he?" Brandon said. "I looked down and his skin was peeling. His eyes were closed and his face was turning red."

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/boy-found-burned-unresponsive-in-bathtub-in-inkster-police-say

Why did the responders have to remove him from bathtub? Surely, if you found your child, any child, face down in water your first instinct is to remove the child from the water? Poor little boy.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Why did the responders have to remove him from bathtub? Surely, if you found your child, any child, face down in water your first instinct is to remove the child from the water? Poor little boy.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Local media reports are (sadly) conflicted on where EMS techs found the toddler. Some sources suggest that the child was still in the tub, while others report that family member(s) attempted CPR on the toddler. I guess we'll have to await coroner's report for accuracy on what actually transpired. RIP, little one :rose:

I just seen this on FB where one of my hubby's relatives donated to a ******** page. This is absolutely horrific. This should NOT have happened to this precious child. Poor baby :(

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

UPDATE: Child Fatally Burned In Hot Bathtub Just Days After Being Returned By CPS; Mom In Custody

April 26, 2016 9:40 AM

INKSTER (WWJ) – A 2-year-old boy who died after being pulled from a tub of scalding hot water had apparently just been returned to the family by Child Protective Services workers and now, police are wondering if his mother is responsible for his death.

The boy’s mother called police around 7 p.m. Monday after finding the child found face down in about three inches of water at her home on Avondale Street, just east of John Daly Road in Inkster.

When first responders arrived at the scene, the child was still in the upstairs bathtub...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/04...athtub-just-days-after-being-returned-by-cps/
Disgusting [emoji35] Haven't read much on this case yet but my first guess is drugs were involved. The child was just returned by CPS?! This is why I do not watch my local news. I used to live close to Inkster. Horrible area. Lots of drugs, strip clubs, prostitution.

Well the clock ran out on them laying charges so they had to let her go. That doesn't mean they won't come back later to do it but I'm very concerned that they couldn't charge something right away.

Local media reports are (sadly) conflicted on where EMS techs found the toddler. Some sources suggest that the child was still in the tub, while others report that family member(s) attempted CPR on the toddler. I guess we'll have to await coroner's report for accuracy on what actually transpired. RIP, little one :rose:

It sounds to me that rescue crew said the child was found still in the bathtub but the brother of the child says he was going CPR. So these conflicting stories reported by the media are likely because of conflicting stories coming from witnesses. Was the brother attempting CPR with the child still in the bathtub? Obviously that is no way to do CPR but then he might not know any better?

"Police say they're getting conflicting stories and rescue crews said the child was still in the tub when they arrived. The autopsy has been completed and the results are pending."
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/132978231-story

Mother of Inkster boy found dead in bathtub released from custody

By John Steckroth - Digital news editor

Posted: 8:36 PM, April 29, 2016
Updated: 8:39 PM, April 29, 2016

INKSTER, Mich. - The mother of a 1-year-old boy who died after being found face down in a bathtub in an Inkster home was released from custody Friday, according to the Inkster Police Department.

Police said the boy, Anthony, was found in a home on Avondale Street after officers responded to an emergency call Monday night about the toddler not breathing. The boy was still in the bathtub when officers arrived. He suffered burns on 50 percent of his body...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mother-of-inkster-boy-found-dead-in-bathtub-released-from-custody

Well the clock ran out on them laying charges so they had to let her go. That doesn't mean they won't come back later to do it but I'm very concerned that they couldn't charge something right away.

It sounds like the family is claiming the victim could have gotten out of his crib and then into bathtub all by himself. So it might be very difficult to prove otherwise without anybody confessing.

Can not stop thinking about this little boy. So close to home it's really gotten to me. :( And this boy suffered horribly.

If this woman walks from this [emoji35] ....I hope they come back and arrest her.

It sounds to me that rescue crew said the child was found still in the bathtub but the brother of the child says he was going CPR. So these conflicting stories reported by the media are likely because of conflicting stories coming from witnesses. Was the brother attempting CPR with the child still in the bathtub? Obviously that is no way to do CPR but then he might not know any better?

"Police say they're getting conflicting stories and rescue crews said the child was still in the tub when they arrived. The autopsy has been completed and the results are pending."
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/132978231-story
Yup somebody's lying!!!! And I believe the rescue crew.

If he was still in the bathtub......OMG

I have no words.......

The other children - who had been removed from the home and returned to the mother - have been placed in protective custody. It was determined that the children are not safe with either parent. I hope the mother doesn't get the children back simply because she hasn't been charged in the little boy's drowning.

The other children - who had been removed from the home and returned to the mother - have been placed in protective custody. It was determined that the children are not safe with either parent. I hope the mother doesn't get the children back simply because she hasn't been charged in the little boy's drowning.
I these have been last issues with CPS, I pray not. I'd adopt those kids myself! So sad that poor baby didn't get that chance....

Disgusting [emoji35] Haven't read much on this case yet but my first guess is drugs were involved. The child was just returned by CPS?! This is why I do not watch my local news. I used to live close to Inkster. Horrible area. Lots of drugs, strip clubs, prostitution.

I live about 15 mins from Inkster< with traffic and lights> I avoid it if I can. I could have swore they closed Inkster Police Station. And somewhere in Inkster is referred to Little Saigon. My Grandma and aunts used to live there in the 60's. I don't really watch the local news either. RIP Anthony. This was no accident, IMO

I live about 15 mins from Inkster< with traffic and lights> I avoid it if I can. I could have swore they closed Inkster Police Station. And somewhere in Inkster is referred to Little Saigon. My Grandma and aunts used to live there in the 60's. I don't really watch the local news either. RIP Anthony. This was no accident, IMO
I avoided it when I lived near there too. Especially at night. It was just right up the road from me. You know, I thought they closed it too?

My apologies. I meant to include a link to news item about the recent court decision to remove the children from custody of both parents.

State: Siblings of boy killed in Inkster hot water not safe with mom or dad

By: Erika Erickson

Posted:Apr 27 2016 05:34PM EDT
Updated:Apr 27 2016 05:34PM EDT

INKSTER, Mich. (WJBK) - The siblings of a toddler who died after climbing into a hot tub of water in Inkster have been placed in foster families as the state says they are not safe with mom or dad. For these young children, this is unfortunately not the first time they've been taken away from their mother.

Leaving Detroit's Lincoln Hall of Juvenile Justice on Wednesday, Bruce Perfect, the father of 20-month-old Anthony Rumford, received a petition from the state that terminated his and their mother's parental rights of their three other children...

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/133609763-story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back