1223 users online (254 members and 969 guests)  

Websleuths News

Oklahoma Court: Forced oral sex not rape if victim is unconscious

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ent?CMP=twt_gu

An Oklahoma court has stunned local prosecutors with a declaration that state law doesn’t criminalize oral sex with a victim who is completely unconscious.

The ruling, a unanimous decision by the state’s criminal appeals court, is sparking outrage among critics who say the judicial system was engaged in victim-blaming and buying outdated notions about rape.

But legal experts and victims’ advocates said they viewed the ruling as a sign of something larger: the troubling gaps that still exist between the nation’s patchwork of laws and evolving ideas about rape and consent.
    http://www.newson6.com/story/3184128...re-unconscious

Although Oklahoma’s rape law says a rape can occur when the victim is intoxicated or unconscious, the forcible sodomy law does not contain that language...

Tulsa County assistant district attorney Benjamin Fu, also is director of the office's special victims unit, said he does not blame the Legislature for not addressing the issue earlier; rather he blames the court’s interpretation of the statute, Oklahoma Watch reported.

That's ridiculous, and they should do what they need to do to change this immediately! jmo
    "Crack up the music and dance!"

Most likely they were men who made that decision and I bet if it was them being forced into oral sex while unconscious this law would not be in place.

Yay! We continue our descent into the dark ages.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Is is April 1st? They have got to be kidding. Change that law now, please.

Coworker shared this story with me today. I was disbelieving. I thought surely this was some Onions story, you know, extreme satire.

I am livid. And incredulous. Seriously?
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

My God.