OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Verified Expert
Reaction score
PIKE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- An act of violence that has shaken the small community of Piketon in Pike County, Ohio is leaving many in disbelief.

Eight people, including a teenager, were all killed execution-style in four separate locations Friday in the Peebles area of Pike County, Ohio near the Adams County line Friday.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Inv...376728131.html

Shootings with multiple fatalities reported in southern Ohio

Posted: 10:47 AM, April 22, 2016
Updated: 11:42 AM, April 22, 2016

CINCINNATI - A shooting involving multiple fatalities was reported in rural Ohio on Friday morning, but details on the number of deaths and the whereabouts of the suspect or suspects weren't immediately clear.

The attorney general's office said a dozen Bureau of Criminal Investigation agents had been called to Pike County, an economically struggling area in the Appalachian region some 80 miles east of Cincinnati. Spokesman Dan Tierney says the Pike County sheriff's office requested state help at 8:20 a.m.

Tierney had no information on whether a suspect was in custody. He also had no confirmation on the number of fatalities...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/n...ported-in-ohio

PIKE COUNTY, OH (WCMH/WDTN) — The Pike County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that there were seven adults and one 16-year-old juvenile who were killed execution-style Friday late morning. They were all members of the same family. Death notifications were still being made Friday night.

Three children survived; a 4-day-old, 6-month-old and 3-year-old. The newborn’s mother is among those victims shot. Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said it does not appear any of the victims committed suicide.

http://wdtn.com/2016/04/22/ohio-bci-...d=twitter_wdtn

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- The names and dates of birth for the eight victims killed in execution-style murders in Pike County, Ohio Friday have been released. The names are as follows:

• Hannah Gilley, DOB 02/28/1996
• Christopher Rhoden, Sr., DOB 09/17/1975
• Christopher Rhoden, Jr., DOB 11/04/1999
• Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, DOB 08/10/1995
• Dana Rhoden, DOB 08/29/1978
• Gary Rhoden, DOB 12/19/1977
• Hanna Rhoden, DOB 04/07/1997
• Kenneth Rhoden, DOB 03/30/1972

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Inv...376728131.html (this link also contains audio of the 911 calls)

A victim's advocate provided a short statement on behalf of the Rhoden family Saturday afternoon.

"The Rhoden family would like to thank everyone for all the outpouring for prayers and support for their family," she read. "They ask that you continue to keep them in your prayers. They'd like to thank all law enforcement from Pike County and all surrounding counties for their immediate response, especially to Sheriff Charlie Reader for all his hard work."

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/st...l-22/83380444/

They eight victims have been identified as: recent-father and husband-to-be Frankie Rhoden and his 20-year-old fiancee Hannah Hazel Gilley; 22-year-old mother Hanna May Rhoden; grandmother-to-be Dana Lynn Rhoden, 37; 16-year-old Chris Rhoden Jr; 40-year-old Chris Rhoden Sr; 38-year-old Gary Rhoden and 44-year-old Kenneth Rhoden.

[...]

During a news conference on Friday evening, Attorney General Mike DeWine said authorities have interviewed more than 30 people and will talk to more of them as the investigation continues.

'We will continue until the case is solved. We do not know whether we're talking about one individual or two or three or more,' DeWine added.
No person of interest has been apprehended and investigators are looking at different theories.

They believe the killers targeted the family specifically, and DeWine said there was no indication of a threat towards the rest of the community.

The rest of the family has been in touch with the sheriff's office for their protection.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz46h5rLZf2 (this link further describes who's who and the familial relationships of the victims to one another)

Investigators found three marijuana “grow operations” at residences where eight family members were slain in southern Ohio, state Attorney General Mike DeWine said Sunday at a news conference.

He didn’t say whether the marijuana was connected to the execution-style killings discovered last Friday at four residences in Piketon.

http://fox13now.com/2016/04/23/autho...e-county-ohio/

[video=youtube;DuIxUnk8gmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIxUnk8gmo[/video]

PRESSER: APRIL 27, 2016

MOD NOTE: Tricia has given permission for sleuths to discuss the criminal records of the family members who were murdered. In light of the grow operations they may be very relevant. Please refrain from posting criminal histories of other individuals who have not been named persons of interest or suspects by LE or simply because they have the last name of the victims or may be a distant cousin or aunt. Stick with the victims for now. That may change as more develops on this case.

MOD NOTE: Please don't speculate about the current custody of the minor children who were left alive. It is a blessing they are alive. If posting snips from articles regarding the children please redact their names. These babes are innocents. one day they will google their names. And plenty will come up. Thanks.

MOD NOTE: Do not sleuth every Tom, Dick and Harry who was ever associated with a victim. Unless law enforcement names someone a person of interest or suspect, TOS prohibits it.

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

CASE NOTES (courtesy of cujenn81) this link contains locations, distance, victim info, relationships and more.

MEDIA LINKS NO DISCUSSION

Update@5:56 p.m.:

A Pike County resident who said she’s familiar with the Rhoden family said Thursday that growing pot is a way of life in the county, so she’s not surprised that marijuana grow operations were found at three of the crime scenes.

“There’s little jobs down there. Everybody has to survive some way. This is how they survive,” said the resident, who asked not to be identified because she fears for her life.

She said the discovery of the grow operations has created a misconception of who the victims were, and she said the Rhodens are .

“It’s really sad to see how everybody turns them into monsters,” she said. “You have Mr. Ruby, who has now taken back his $25,000 reward because there’s now a criminal investigation. This is not a family of criminals. They were good-hearted people who loved their family.”

“These people did not live a luxurious, fancy lifestyle,” she continued. “They didn’t drive the best vehicles or wear the best clothes. These were just down–to-earth people just trying to get by.”

The woman added that she doesn’t believe Mexican drug cartels are responsible for the killings, as some believe. Instead, she believes the killings are the result of a common practice in the area known as “hillbilly justice” in which people take the law into their own hands as opposed to calling the police.

“There’s a lot of drugs that are relevant in the hills right now, and with meth and heroin being two of the main ones, I don’t think this is over pot,” she said.

http://m.springfieldnewssun.com/news...g-could/nrBzy/

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306257-OH-Pike-County-8-people-from-one-family-dead-as-police-hunt-for-killer(s)-4&p=12505946#post12505946

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...r-victims-says-killer-should-be-tortured.html

The first of eight family members gunned down in Pike County was laid to rest Thursday.

“It's a sad day very sad day", Kenneth*Rhoden, father of GaryRhoden, said.

In a slow moving procession down a red dirt road in Kentucky, the body of Gary*Rhoden*was taken to its final resting place.

[...]

His father says the coroner told him Gary was shot three times in the head.

Kenneth believes the person or persons responsible knew the family.

[...]

Kenneth said according to the coroner there were two different bullet casings found at the scene, leading him to believe this crimes were the acts of more than one person.

PIKE COUNTY — Two auxiliary deputies from the Gallia County Sheriff’s Office and deputies from the Meigs County Sheriff’s Office will be joining the investigation into the Pike County Rhoden family shootings case in which eight family members were executed.

Gallia County Sheriff Joe Browning confirmed the information after an Ohio Attorney General’s press release and press conference Wednesday, although he said that little more information could be given out at this time.

http://mydailytribune.com/news/6303/gallia-meigs-officers-to-join-piketon-shootings-investigation

A coroner's report released Tuesday showed new details of vicious violence in the shooting deaths of eight members of a rural southern OH family, finding most victims were shot three to nine times each and some of them were bruised. While the houses were still crime scenes, DeWine did not go inside. Having multiple victims and crime scenes added to the number of possibilities, and he and Reader both said they were focused on not only making an arrest, but having the killer or killers convicted. Some neighbors say they had heard rumors. And some said the marijuana-growing was a case of courting trouble.

http://www.tjcnewspaper.com/authorities-quiet-on-probe-into-slayings-of-8-family-members

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...r-victims-says-killer-should-be-tortured.html

The first of eight family members gunned down in Pike County was laid to rest Thursday.

“It's a sad day very sad day", Kenneth*Rhoden, father of GaryRhoden, said.

In a slow moving procession down a red dirt road in Kentucky, the body of Gary*Rhoden*was taken to its final resting place.

[...]

His father says the coroner told him Gary was shot three times in the head.

Kenneth believes the person or persons responsible knew the family.

[...]

Kenneth said according to the coroner there were two different bullet casings found at the scene, leading him to believe this crimes were the acts of more than one person.

Unless the perp was clever enough to use two handguns to throw LE off track....

I was asked:

"Are we talking facts of the case?"

Not really clear on what you are asking..

I was asked about if the perp had night vision if they could see the trail cams, again, not likely. I'm assuming they were quite well hidden, as they usually are, especially if they were for some sort of security. They are not made to be seen and are small and blend in. Most hunters have many set up, I'm assuming a grow operation has several around the house. If there were multiple trail cams set up at multiple locations, it would have to be someone that knew that and where. It wouldn't just be assumed they have x amount of cameras in x amount of spots. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was asked about if the perp had night vision if they could see the trail cams, again, not likely. I'm assuming they were quite well hidden, as they usually are, especially if they were for some sort of security. They are not made to be seen and are small and blend in. Most hunters have many set up, I'm assuming a grow operation has several around the house. If there were multiple trail cams set up at multiple locations, it would have to be someone that knew that and where. It wouldn't just be assumed they have x amount of cameras in x amount of spots. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trail cams can hide in trees easily. Trail cams can hide so well that you can lose some for a while if you have a lot.

Do we know how many were stolen? Was it just ones near his trailer or out in the woods, etc?

Trail cams can hide in trees easily. Trail cams van hide so well that you can lose some for a while if you have a lot.

Do we know how many were stolen? Was it just ones near his trailer or out in the woods, etc?

I'm not sure. It looked like someone quoted an article saying cams were stolen and saying well duh, people would take the cameras if they killed them, so I wanted to express that these aren't obvious cameras out, someone would have to know and be familiar with them if they were all truly stolen. They are definitely made to be hidden, night vision wouldn't change that they would be clearly out in the open.

Trail cams can hide in trees easily. Trail cams can hide so well that you can lose some for a while if you have a lot.

Which also can make me wonder.. Wonder if there was a possibility he had a map of where they were in the trailer. It would be easy to find something in the camper. So there is a possibility the killers didn't know where they were but found a map whole searching his camper.

Which also can make me wonder.. Wonder if there was a possibility he had a map of where they were in the trailer. It would be easy to find something in the camper. So there is a possibility the killers didn't know where they were but found a map whole searching his camper.

I wonder if these houses were even ransacked. Like someone mentioned earlier, would these people be sticking around any longer than necessary? Who knows. I can build so many theories and then build theories to go against those theories, and theories to go against all of those theories. It's confusing.

I'm not sure. It looked like someone quoted an article saying cams were stolen and saying well duh, people would take the cameras if they killed them, so I wanted to express that these aren't obvious cameras out, someone would have to know and be familiar with them if they were all truly stolen. They are definitely made to be hidden, night vision wouldn't change that they would be clearly out in the open.
They are made to not be noticeable, some wildlife will notice a box on a tree.

It would also require them knowing how many he had if they got them all. See my second post to your comment above.

Wouldn't the led lights go on when the perp waked in front of them, giving the location?

A comprehensive article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer about the murders, the history of pot growing in Pike County and the high poverty level in the area. Pike County has been producing pot for decades. Some good photos and interactive graphics

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/04/pike_county_murders_underscore.html

One in four Pike County residents were living in families or alone with incomes below the poverty line, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2010-2014 American Community Survey.
The poverty rate of 24.2 was the fourth-worst among Ohio's 88 counties.
The county's median household income is $39,989. That ranks 11th worst in the state. By comparison, Cuyahoga County's median household income is $44,203, and the state's is $48,849, according to the Census Bureau.
Pike County's unemployment rate is 8.6 percent; Ohio's rate is 5.4 percent.

"It's an impoverished area, and people need money to survive,'' said Dan Ramey, a morning host on WBEX 1490 AM radio in Chillicothe and a resident of Pike County. "I'm not condoning it, but it is the nature of today's society.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni