GUILTY CA - Leticia Chavez, 26, pregnant, & 2 daughters murdered, San Jose, 10 Oct 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A San Jose man will be charged with killing his unborn child in addition to murder counts for slaying his pregnant girlfriend and the couple's two young daughters, prosecutors announced Wednesday.

Rodrigo Paniagua will also be charged with the special circumstance of committing multiple murders, meaning he could face the death penalty. Paniagua's arraignment on the murder charges is set for Thursday. However, Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Karyn Sinunu said a decision was still pending on whether or not the death penalty would be sought.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/5088861/detail.html

The San Jose man suspected of killing his two daughters and pregnant girlfriend already has a criminal conviction for making death threats against the same woman.

The district attorney's office plans to file homicide charges Wednesday against Rodrigo Paniagua.

Paniagua was in court Tuesday to face misdemeanor traffic and weapons charges not related to Monday's triple homicide.

NBC11's Daniel Garza took a deeper look at court records and found that in 2002 he was arrested and later convicted of making death threats against Leticia Cruz, the woman he allegedly killed.
http://www.nbc11.com/news/5087045/detail.html

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=3533150

Oct. 13 - The San Jose man suspected of stabbing to death his pregnant girlfriend and their two young daughters was charged with four counts of murder, including a charge for killing the 5-month fetus.

Rodrigo Ortiz Paniagua, an unemployed 29-year-old ex-Marine, was charged Wednesday by the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office. His arraignment was set for Thursday afternoon.

Each charge against Paniagua includes special circumstances of using a knife and mass murder, making him eligible for the death penalty, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office said.

But prosecutors have not determined yet whether they will seek capital punishment for Paniagua. He was held without bond at Santa Clara County jail and scheduled to be arraigned Thursday.

"The least that can happen to him if he's convicted is life without parole," said Karyn Sinunu, chief assistant district attorney.

...............more at link.....................

I can't take it anymore! :banghead: When will this madness stop?

MrsMush99 said:
I can't take it anymore! :banghead: When will this madness stop?

I'm with you. This is insane!

He not only kills his pregnant gf, but his kids too!!!

If you go to that link, there's two other day's info about this case. In one, he told her, 'go ahead and call police, you'll be dead before they get here.' :furious:

It breaks your heart to see what some people are capable of and what some have to put up with. :(

DA@#!!!!!!!!

fran

Gabe Chavez, victim's brother: "They were a happy family, they were the average family. They had family support. I never saw this coming."

Link

I got this quote from the link above. Anyway, isn't that usually the case? No one ever sees it coming. So sad.

I don't know how they could have hidden from the rest of the family, the fact that he had pled guilty a few years earlier. I think it's more like they're just in denial. :croc:

JMHO
fran

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=3528660

Oct. 12 - San Jose police claim a man who's accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend and their two daughters had threatened to kill her before.

..............................snip..........................

Gabe Chavez, victim's brother: "They were a happy family, they were the average family. They had family support. I never saw this coming."

But many of those family members insist they never knew Paniagua pleaded guilty to making threats against Chavez in 2002. A police report from that incident quotes Paniagua as saying, "You can go ahead and call the police, but you'll be dead before they get there."

I live in Morgan Hill, CA, it's about 15 minutes away from San Jose. I couldn't get this murder off my mind all day today. I can't even contemplate how a parent could murder their own children, especially by stabbing them.
My co-worker lives in the same neighborhood (of the killings) and she said her friend who lives next door actually witnessed the father stabbing the 3 year old in the kitchen. My co-worker told me that tonight and I was so tramatized I could hardly work the rest of my shift.
What bothers me the most is that children are supposed to take for granted that their parents will protect them, those poor children got the ultimate betrayal.

Polynomial said:
What bothers me the most is that children are supposed to take for granted that their parents will protect them, those poor children got the ultimate betrayal.
Great first post Polynomial! I agree completely!:clap:

Polynomial said:
I live in Morgan Hill, CA, it's about 15 minutes away from San Jose. I couldn't get this murder off my mind all day today. I can't even contemplate how a parent could murder their own children, especially by stabbing them.
My co-worker lives in the same neighborhood (of the killings) and she said her friend who lives next door actually witnessed the father stabbing the 3 year old in the kitchen. My co-worker told me that tonight and I was so tramatized I could hardly work the rest of my shift.

Welcome to WS.
It is disturbing to think that you could know these people, or even know someone who knows them. We always want to think that deaths like this would not touch our lives- but when it comes that close it is very scary.
Has your co-worker's friend talked with LE and given her statement?
Has she said anything about the family? I know the friends who were interviewed, and the family says they are shocked, but sometimes the neighbors know more than family knows.

***Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the boards, this forum is great***

Actually mysteriew, after I heard my co-workers remarks I couldn't say a word, I was too shocked. When I feel more comfortable I will probably will ask her some more details.

Polynomial:
Welcome to Websleuths!
Thank you for your contribution. This has to be difficult for you as well as your co-worker.

This is one of those crimes, whether you know the victims or not, you just stop and stare and say 'WHY?' It makes no sense that someone would do this to their pregnant spouse and even more, to innocent little children. One's own to boot! It's horrible what people do to get back at others.

Take care.
fran

"Rodrigo Ortiz Paniagua, an unemployed 29-year-old ex-Marine"

I wonder what kind of drugs he was exposed to? Hasn't there been a huge increase of spouse violence of ex military personnel? If I recall correctly someone is claiming it to be caused by mandatory meds?

I just don't understand women who stay in abusive relationships. I guess some just don't know how to get out. I would pray that anyone who knows of a situation where this is happening to speak up and try to get the person (and the children) out of there.

A San Jose man convicted of stabbing to death his pregnant girlfriend and two daughters has been sentenced to death after an emotional courtroom appeal by the victims' relatives.

Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Jerome Brock issued the sentence Thursday to Rodrigo Paniagua Jr., who was convicted June 10 of murdering five-months-pregnant Leticia Chavez and their daughters, 6-year-old Adrina and 3-year-old AnaLisa in October 2005. He had been accused of stabbing them multiple times as they tried to fight him off and then, after setting their bodies on fire, walking outside their house to smoke a cigarette.

more here

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_16885041

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member