798 users online (96 members and 702 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
    Wild's livestream can still be viewed, and is worth watching in entirety. It wasn't even a close decision. She checked with the attys on their progress after an hour plus. They predictably said they were at an impasse. The State would concede 2 of 6 contested jurors and no more, the DT could accept no fewer than all 6.

Staley indicated that she wouldn't have been able to accept any agreement they made anyway. That the DT had met its burden of demonstrating both that pre-trial publicity had been pervasive, and that the publicity had clearly tainted the jury pool--deeply. She also seemed to call into question the reliability of what jurors had testified to ---that some who said on questionnaires they could be unbiased came into court and said they could not, and some who said in questionnaires they were biased also said otherwise in court. And last, she said that the "cold" record didn't begin to reflect the depth of sentiment against RH she had witnessed for herself.

Not even close.
    Do you have a link to the livestream? I would love to watch the whole thing.

I wonder how much more warmly JRH will be received elsewhere in Georgia. He is a very unlikeable defendent.

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Peach View Post

I wonder how much more warmly JRH will be received elsewhere in Georgia. He is a very unlikeable defendent.

Judge agrees to move hot SUV death trial. #JustinRossHarris #HotCarDeath Watch video replay here: http://www.wildabouttrial.com/judge-...v-death-trial/

After the first part, there's a loooooong stretch of just seal, then it picks up again around 1:30 in, iirc.

Staley actually specifically rejected that possibility.
    Why did she reject Macon? I missed that. Macon was the first place my mind went.

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Peach View Post

He's very unlikable, and people are likely to be resentful of a trial like this being imposed upon their county.

And last, she said that the "cold" record didn't begin to reflect the depth of sentiment against RH she had witnessed for herself.

Not even close.

BTW- in discussing venues, she referred to the trial lasting between 2-4 months, not weeks.
    What does cold record mean?

From day one, the more facts that came out about Ross Harris and his actions on the day he left little Cooper in that hot car, the more judgements and prejudices against Ross Harris built up!

As many of us thought, there was no way a jury would be seated that had not heard of this case.

While it took time and cost money, the advantage is the judge and both sides of lawyers heard directly from the prospective jurors as to how strong their feelings were against Ross Harris.

Now, how do they go about selecting where the trial will be? There has to be some prerequisites for this trial, so hopefully the county will be one with educated, working people and not one of the poorest, dumbest counties in the state! Another factor the lawyers will have to agree on, so I can see this part turning into a circus by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MzOpinion8d View Post
    It means the record on it's face. In other words, the transcripts and numbers, which can not reflect the facial expressions, intonations and body language of those called as potential jurors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily17 View Post
    Why did she reject Macon? I missed that. Macon was the first place my mind went.
    I didn't hear her give a reason. She just said NOT and kept going on to mention ill -equipped rural courts with few facilities, no security , and maybe not even air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by MzOpinion8d View Post

The written record.

Quote Originally Posted by 1&2&3 View Post
    From day one, the more facts that came out about Ross Harris and his actions on the day he left little Cooper in that hot car, the more judgements and prejudices against Ross Harris built up!

As many of us thought, there was no way a jury would be seated that had not heard of this case.

While it took time and cost money, the advantage is the judge and both sides of lawyers heard directly from the prospective jurors as to how strong their feelings were against Ross Harris.

Now, how do they go about selecting where the trial will be? There has to be some prerequisites for this trial, so hopefully the county will be one with educated, working people and not one of the poorest, dumbest counties in the state! Another factor the lawyers will have to agree on, so I can see this part turning into a circus by itself.

The DT didn’t have a choice about requesting a change in venue. If RH had been tried with that jury and convicted, he’d have the issue of ineffective counsel for appeal, as well as Staley’s acceptance of a demonstrably tainted jury pool.

IMO, RH might well end up with a less biased but equally unsympathetic jury, and if moved to a very rural area, jurors who are even less likely to understand how a parent can “forget’ a child in a car, because as a whole they are less likely to be living a life involving 2 working parents and on-site daycare.

JudyBolton is offline In memory: My dear friend Martha Mickel, kidnapped & murdered by Curtis Tyner.
    Brunswick was mentioned as a possibility by a local reporter. They moved another Cobb Co. trial there - Lynn Turner - but there is no way the jurors could commute daily from Cobb County.
    Judy ( posting only my opinion)

I didn't hear her give a reason. She just said NOT and kept going on to mention ill -equipped rural courts with few facilities, no security , and maybe not even air conditioning.
    No air conditioning ????? I'm pretty certain there's not a court-room in Georgia that doesn't have AC.

Wild's livestream can still be viewed, and is worth watching in entirety. It wasn't even a close decision. She checked with the attys on their progress after an hour plus. They predictably said they were at an impasse. The State would concede 2 of 6 contested jurors and no more, the DT could accept no fewer than all 6.

Staley indicated that she wouldn't have been able to accept any agreement they made anyway. That the DT had met its burden of demonstrating both that pre-trial publicity had been pervasive, and that the publicity had clearly tainted the jury pool--deeply. She also seemed to call into question the reliability of what jurors had testified to ---that some who said on questionnaires they could be unbiased came into court and said they could not be, and some who said in questionnaires they were biased also said otherwise in court. And last, she said that the "cold" record didn't begin to reflect the depth of sentiment against RH she had witnessed for herself.

Not even close.

BTW- in discussing venues, she referred to the trial lasting between 2-4 months, not weeks.
    I read they were predicting the trial to last 6 weeks...how did it increase to 4 months? I'm curious as to why the trial would last that long.

I really wonder why the judge keeps bringing up the most backwoods places in Georgia. Why not move the trial to Augusta, Columbus, Macon, or Savannah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1&2&3 View Post

The BBM is absolutely essential for this trial.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast