832 users online (122 members and 710 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 137
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    681
    [QUOTE=

    BTW- in discussing venues, she referred to the trial lasting between 2-4 months, not weeks.[/QUOTE]
    I feel pretty sure I heard the judge say at one point recently , it may or may not have been yesterday, she expected 4-6 months. I took it maybe the judge was combining the time of testimony and maybe a sentencing phase. That would be a long time to sequester someone. I sort of think it works to the benefit of the defense to delay the trial a little longer and maybe some of the details will be forgotten before facts are presented at trial. I would guess the odds are there will be another similar hot car baby death this summer in GA and attention will be directed toward that case rather than Ross. If my guess is correct and there is a 2nd baby incident in GA this year, if the 2nd incident isn't indicted and parent(s) appear innocent, again, I think that works in Ross' favor. But it could easily go the other way as well.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,425
    Quote Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
    The phrase "jury of his peers" does not actually appear anywhere in the constitution. An "impartial jury" is required.

    The 6th Amendment in full:
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

    Case law has determined that jurors cannot be excluded from the jury, or from the jury pool, based on their race, gender, or other such traits. But there is no law, and no case law, anywhere that says that an accused has a right to a jury comprising people with a similar lifestyle to that of the accused.
    I realize what you say but like others I can have my opinion

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,769
    I am going to make a prediction. I have nothing to really back this up. It's just a feeling that I have and I want to put it out in the universe. I predict that the verdict in this case will come in within a week of the election so sometime between November 1 - November 15. This is not simply due to the judge saying the trial will start in the Fall and last 6-8 weeks, but it's more because since this case began, I have really been curious as to how much media coverage outside of Atlanta the trial will get and especially how much coverage the verdict will get. So now I predict that the verdict will come in extremely close to the election, and I will never have a true idea of just how much attention it could have gotten.

    It's probably best that the trial is not taking place during the spring/summer, and it's likely it could be overshadowed by the election and the colder weather might make it difficult to "market" the case since every single headline about the case nationally calls it "hot car death". The more coverage the trial gets, the more opportunities people will have to make $$ after it ends, and the more $$$ they will be offered. The amount of coverage the trial gets will determine how much Leanna gets for a book deal or how much she gets for her first sitdown interview. Look at the Martin MacNeil case, it was shown on HLN, but there is no way the people involved in that case have the same opportunties to make $$ as people involved in the Anthony case.
    Last edited by eileenhawkeye; 05-03-2016 at 12:03 PM.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20,018
    Staley said she and the court administrator will talk to courts in other parts of the state about hosting the trial and will consult with the lawyers for both sides.

    http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/co...sap=1&nav=5020

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by GA_Peach View Post
    I do wonder how a jury pool comprised of rural versus urban citizens affects the way the case is viewed (from the standpoint of a juror).
    I have sort of wondered the same. I think a rural jury possibly helps the defense. I think rural maybe a little less educated, cheaper cost of living , maybe people don't read as much news or keep up with as many current events. I would consider a rural jury less informed on current events jury. At all costs, the defense team had to try to get out of the hostile Atlanta environment. I was born in rural area and I mean no disrespect in this post. IJMO which may get you half a cup of coffee.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by kimi_SFC View Post
    Regarding the AC issue, when I watched the live stream yesterday, the Judge specifically stated there is at least one courthouse in GA that she was aware of that did not have air conditioning.

    Has anyone been able to find a link to yesterday's hearing (prior to her final ruling on the Change of Venue/COV)?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you check Wild's website?

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleTray View Post
    I have sort of wondered the same. I think a rural jury possibly helps the defense. I think rural maybe a little less educated, cheaper cost of living , maybe people don't read as much news or keep up with as many current events. I would consider a rural jury less informed on current events jury. At all costs, the defense team had to try to get out of the hostile Atlanta environment. I was born in rural area and I mean no disrespect in this post. IJMO which may get you half a cup of coffee.

    IMO a move to a rural county will benefit the State, not the defense, if it benefits either side in any meaningful way.

    The DT won the COV and lost an issue for appeal, rural jurors are less likely to have a 2 white collar , working parents-commuter- day care lifestyle and so are less likely to believe "forgetting" a child in a morning shuffle is even possible, and IMO are more likely, as a generalization, to be extremely put off by RH's adultery and by the sexting with minors charges, and to carry that over when considering what he's capable of when it came to Cooper.

    At the risk of sounding naive, I trust juries to get it right and think they do most of the time. I think jurors anywhere would be unlikely to find RH the slightest bit sympathetic even if they are persuaded Cooper's death was accidental.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    1,349
    People tend to forget that a) Georgia is mostly a red state with a big island of blue in the middle, that being Atlanta and some of the immediate environs, and b) the whole state is pretty much within the Atlanta media market. If they move the trial to an area south of Atlanta, keep in mind that the climate becomes much, much warmer. If they move it to an area west of Atlanta, they get closer to Alabama/Birmingham, where there are ties to the families and a lot of media interest. So, good luck with that, DT, especially in finding people out in the rural counties who are sympathetic to the child-free, sexually 'liberated' life-style preferred by Mr. Harris.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    811
    Here's a map of the Atlanta media market for anyone who is interested:



    http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/georgia.gif

    Since the DT requested a COV to outside the Atlanta media market, it's highly unlikely that the case will end up in any of the yellow counties. I don't know if the entire Macon market is excluded or just Macon itself.

  10. #70
    FWIW. Beth Karas said on her website she thought Staley has state-wide jurisdiction and will remain the judge for RH's case. It sounded that way from Staley's inclusive "we" and "us" yesterday. Does anyone know if that is definitely accurate?

    Also from BK. Apparently BK knows the court administrator Staley will work with to transfer venue. His name is Tom Charron and he is a former state DA who prosecuted capital cases. One of those cases he tried (has been referred to here) was transferred to Walker County, which according to BK, handled Cherron's high profile case just fine.


  11. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
    FWIW. Beth Karas said on her website she thought Staley has state-wide jurisdiction and will remain the judge for RH's case. It sounded that way from Staley's inclusive "we" and "us" yesterday. Does anyone know if that is definitely accurate?

    Also from BK. Apparently BK knows the court administrator Staley will work with to transfer venue. His name is Tom Charron and he is a former state DA who prosecuted capital cases. One of those cases he tried (has been referred to here) was transferred to Walker County, which according to BK, handled Cherron's high profile case just fine.
    While I cannot say with 100% certainty about this case, a former Georgia Superior Court judge told me yesterday that the presiding judge would normally stay with the case. He said that he has no reason to believe that there would be a new judge.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marietta
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
    FWIW. Beth Karas said on her website she thought Staley has state-wide jurisdiction and will remain the judge for RH's case. It sounded that way from Staley's inclusive "we" and "us" yesterday. Does anyone know if that is definitely accurate?

    Also from BK. Apparently BK knows the court administrator Staley will work with to transfer venue. His name is Tom Charron and he is a former state DA who prosecuted capital cases. One of those cases he tried (has been referred to here) was transferred to Walker County, which according to BK, handled Cherron's high profile case just fine.
    Yes, there is no reason Judge Staley would not hear the case, barring Kilgore et al filing a motion to recuse (and having it granted) which they have not done and as far as I know, they have no reason to.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by GA_Peach View Post
    While I cannot say with 100% certainty about this case, a former Georgia Superior Court judge told me yesterday that the presiding judge would normally stay with the case. He said that he has no reason to believe that there would be a new judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccalynne View Post
    Yes, there is no reason Judge Staley would not hear the case, barring Kilgore et al filing a motion to recuse (and having it granted) which they have not done and as far as I know, they have no reason to.


    Thank you both for the info. Procedures for COV vary by state. Where I live, the judge currently presiding would be replaced by a counterpart in the county to which the trial was transferred.

    One more reason why the DT wouldn't prefer a transfer if it could be avoided- now it has a judge who leans pro-prosecution AND she's cranky because her life will be disrupted for weeks if not months.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marietta
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
    Thank you both for the info. Procedures for COV vary by state. Where I live, the judge currently presiding would be replaced by a counterpart in the county to which the trial was transferred.

    One more reason why the DT wouldn't prefer a transfer if it could be avoided- now it has a judge who leans pro-prosecution AND she's cranky because her life will be disrupted for weeks if not months.
    You're welcome! I work for a defense attorney in Cobb (though not one of RH's attorneys) so I have been keeping up with the trial as much as I can. And you are right about Judge Staley being pro-prosecution.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccalynne View Post
    You're welcome! I work for a defense attorney in Cobb (though not one of RH's attorneys) so I have been keeping up with the trial as much as I can. And you are right about Judge Staley being pro-prosecution.

    I hope you stick around for the whole trial- I'd love to hear from an insider in Cobb's legal community how opinions are running..

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Change of Venue
    By Macushla in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Tags for this Thread