1228 users online (234 members and 994 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Malicious "Flash Player" Redirect

One or more ads on Websleuths several times within the past week has redirected me to a false "Flash Player out of date" site and immediately starts downloading a file named "FlashPlayer.exe", which Chrome immediately identifies as malicious and blocks. Microsoft Security Essentials also detects the file and spawns an alert about it.

Because it redirects to another site, I haven't been able to figure out which ad is spawning it, but it's happening regularly now.

Quote Originally Posted by creepedout View Post
    One or more ads on Websleuths several times within the past week has redirected me to a false "Flash Player out of date" site and immediately starts downloading a file named "FlashPlayer.exe", which Chrome immediately identifies as malicious and blocks. Microsoft Security Essentials also detects the file and spawns an alert about it.

Because it redirects to another site, I haven't been able to figure out which ad is spawning it, but it's happening regularly now.
    This also has been happening during every session I'm on while using Websleuth, then computer bogs down and freezes. only on Websleuths

I have had it as well.

Extremely difficult to be on Websleuth except on phone

Quote Originally Posted by lonetraveler View Post
    This also has been happening during every session I'm on while using Websleuth, then computer bogs down and freezes. only on Websleuths
    Happened to me also using firefox 3-4 times. I just hit back button and I went back to the page I was on. It was odd for it to just pop up and redirect like that

My laptop is frequently getting bogged down and freezes these last few days as well. It's frustrating.

Bump.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    Hi Wfgodot,

Dave is on top of this. We have made some changes so please let me know if it happens again
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    We do not have any pop-up ads on Websleuths however there is a chance a pop-up can sneak through our advertisers and show up on Websleuths
    We have taken measures to stop this pop-up. If anyone sees it again please post there or send me a private message.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

Just happened to me while using Crome. I get the warning that Flash Player has crashed and then the page freezes. I will see if it happens using Internet Explorer.
    Praying for Jason.
    Find Beaner!
    Where is Kayla Berg?
    Justice for Stephanie Low, 9-22-14 RIP Stephanie

Animated Ads With Vocals Are Interfering

I'm using Microsoft Edge as my browser, I've also installed Windows 10 about 6 months ago. I'm using a fairly new and well taken care of home computer.
    In the past 3 or 4 weeks I've been seeing and hearing ads that are animated with sound making it just about impossible to read or post.

The ads that are not animated are fine; even the flashing animated ads without sound are fine.
    Additionally; once in a while I put my earphones on to block various household sounds (DH watching the telly, our dogs barking etc...) that make it difficult for me to read... when the ad starts the volume is at top level Yikes!
    On any given day I'm booted at least 10 times from the site.
    I've cleared my cookies, shut down and restarted, tried various solutions but have yet to solve the problem

Oh, I haven't gotten any sort of flash player warning.
    I've looked into my computer files and noted that I already have flash player installed.

Should I use a different browser? Download ad blocker?
    It's strange because once in a while the problems I'm having stop; for a half a day out of 7 days. On the 1/2 days that are trouble free, I've noticed that for some reason the animated ads with vocals are disabled.

I'm following the Bosma case; I started reading when the thread opened up this morning and only have gotten to page 18 or so.

I hope that this is the proper thread to ask for help.
    Any help would be very appreciated.
    ~all of my posts are imo~

It happens to me constantly. As soon as I "fix" it with a program, it messes up my computer again once I come back to Websleuths. It is very disturbing. It is messing up my whole computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    We do not have any pop-up ads on Websleuths however there is a chance a pop-up can sneak through our advertisers and show up on Websleuths
    We have taken measures to stop this pop-up. If anyone sees it again please post there or send me a private message.
    Are the ads supposed to be in between posts? It makes me think that another poster posted a picture.

Thats where mine are, too. And the videos auto-play. I'm sure that will be great for data usage.

Mine was so bad a couple of days ago I had to go back to using IE instead of Chrome. Tried the fix Tricia posted for Chrome users but it didn't help. Had no problems on IE! However, yesterday I tried Chrome again and it seemed to be better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast