Found Deceased Costa Rica - Cody Dial, 27, Corcovado National Park, July 2014

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Cody Dial, 27-year old son of National Geographic explorer Roman Dial. Following in his father’s footsteps, Cody set out on a journey through Corcovado National Park in Costa Rica in 2014… and he hasn’t been seen since.

Here's Dial's story:
http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/lost-in-the-jungle-the-search-for-cody-dial-20150206
http://www.mensjournal.com/adventur...g-son-in-costa-rica-gets-no-response-20140815

Watch an exclusive sneak peek of the series in the video. Missing Dial premieres Sunday, May 22 at 10 p.m. ET on the National Geographic Channel. http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/03/national-geographic-missing-dial-true-crime

mj-618_348_cody-roman-tktktktk.jpg

I just read the attached article and it's fascinating. There doesn't seem to be any current information; early 2015 is the most recent. He could have gotten into trouble so many different ways

Anyone watch the show even with the remains being found?

Anyone watch the show even with the remains being found?

Yeah I watched it. His father hired a private eye to help him work on the disappearance, and the private eye could also speak spanish so he doubled as an interpreter. After interviewing numerous locals, they all said that Cody was seen running around with a known drug user and drug dealer prior to his disappearance. His father adamantly denied this aspect of his sons disappearance because he refused to accept that his son had been smoking dope with the POI in the case. The P.I. got pretty steamed because the father refused to even acknowledge that his son may have been running around with someone of that caliber, which hampered the P.I.'s ability to follow the case in the direction it seemed to be heading.

Long story short, the episode I watched left the impression that Cody had fallen in with some bad company and that his disappearance may have been more sinister than initially thought. The final inference was that Cody had made friends with a local drug dealer/user, and his vanishing may be due more to a criminal act than a hiking accident. Cody's mother and father refused to accept the idea that he may have got mixed up with local hoodlums, and instead opted to believe that he may have gotten lost or hurt out in the jungle.

End of episode.

I guess the autopsy will tell the tale. I hope they do a thorough one.

I've watched the first two episodes as well and find the show surprisingly compelling. While I understand both perspectives, I think if I was going to hire an expert I'd put my personal feelings aside and listen to him. Maybe Roman is and it's just edited to make him look more resistant than he is.

I was shocked when I Googled and saw remains were found. I find it pretty suspicious that suddenly these remains are found at this time.

As the mystery on the series deepens, so is what is unfolding in the case in real time. On May 19, two days before the premiere of Missing Dial, the Dials learned that human remains had been found in the jungle where Cody went missing.

On May 20, when Roman, a legendary explorer who taught his son how to survive in the wilderness, learned that the remains could belong to his son, he immediately flew to Costa Rica, with Peggy joining him soon after.

As the Dials grapple with the fact that their son may indeed, be dead, Costa Rican authorities are trying to determine whether dangers in the jungle killed Cody – or if he was murdered.

"This is still classified as a homicide," says Aengus James, who directed and executive produced the series.

On May 22, Roman joined investigators in a remote part of the jungle where the remains, along with some of Cody's belongings, including money and his passport, were found.

DNA extracted from the bones is being tested at the Judicial Forensics Laboratory in San Joaquin de Flores, Heredia.

Last week, the Dials provided Costa Rican authorities with dental records and samples of their own DNA to help officials identify the remains.

The Dials may not get the results of the testing for weeks.

While the Dials wait for the results, James is reworking the end of the series to include some of the latest developments.

http://www.people.com/article/watch-missing-dial-investigator-confronts-local-dark-secret-cody-dial

Wow this seems interesting!

So strange they find the remains just before it gets aired!

So do they still think it's the miners who murdered him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pata de Lora said he guided him from Dos Brazos to Carate and for most people that's a multiday hike. I'd be interested in seeing where his body was found in relation to the trail. The fact that he was found three to five hours from Dos Brazos doesn't rule out foul play for me.

The fact that he was found three to five hours from Dos Brazos doesn't rule out foul play for me.

Me either. I'm kind of confused about that statement. His money being found with the remains does make me doubt foul play.

The remains of Cody Roman Dial were positively identified after being found in Costa Rica this summer at Corcovado National Park.

His remains were found in May by a local miner in a ravine located in the central part of the Southwest Costa Rica park. Cody was last heard from in July 2014 when he emailed his father a rough itinerary of his trip.

His passport and money were found among the remains, helping to rule out robbery.

He was killed when a tree fell on his camp.

A memorial service for family and friends is scheduled for Wednesday.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/201...led-by-fallen-tree-in-costa-rica-father-says/

Cody's obiturary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn/obituary.aspx?n=cody-roman-dial&pid=183115306

:rose: RIP Cody :rose:

photo_042811_986f10f99f9541b6b24aa765d1f3_1_5af7391c2bf8e082b8369833bff6_20161217.jpg

Just finished watching this and also read about him being found ect.
I'm not sure how I feel about it, part of me isn't so sure a tree is the only thing that could have happened.

Part of me is unsure why Joe would say all the things he said, also how did his backpack end up at the hostel.
Am I the only one who feels this way?

I don't know what to think. Going backpacking and buying things double. Does not make much sense:
- TWO backpacks
- TWO stoves
- TWO sleepingpads
- TWO ...?

"his passport, money, map and compass, shoes, backpack, stove, machete, tarp, sleeping pad, mosquito net and more." .. The area had already been searched and it is unclear whether the remains have been there the whole time or if they were moved recently.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-old-Alaskan-explorer-went-missing-2014.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back