Wildfires in Fort McMurray Alberta

Snoopster

Reaction score
A huge wildfire raging in Fort McMurray, Alta., has burned homes in some neighbourhoods, and residents fleeing the fire have caused gridlock on Highway 63 leading south out of the city.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fort-mcmurray-homes-destroyed-as-wildfire-forces-mandatory-evacuation-orders-1.3563977

Scary stuff....Check out the harrowing video that this guy posted on twitter....showing how tense the situation is right now. There is only one road into Fort McMurray and one road out.

https://twitter.com/jstuffcocrimlaw/status/727626031318753280?lang=en

It's been unseasonably hot in Fort McMurray, an oil-based city located in northern Alberta. Typical highs at this time of year are 15 celsius (just below 60f). It's 32 celsius (approximately 90f). If this is how spring is starting out, I hate to see what things will be like later in summer!

ChkRHphVIAENL-V.jpg:large

They've been evacuating areas in the north of the city, but here is an image from an industrial area in the south of the city.
:(

I was just coming here to post this. :( Horrible.

All of Fort McMurray evacuated as wildfire intensifies
Updated: May 3, 2016 9:04 pm

As of 6:20 p.m., all of Fort McMurray is under a mandatory evacuation order including MacDonald Island.

The mandatory evacuation order now means all of Fort McMurray’s more than 61,000 residents are being told to flee the city.
"This is going to be a rough 48 hours coming up,” Farnell warned."

The images coming out are terrifying.

Chj1mRKUkAAZIe6.jpg

The highway is gridlocked. The flames are bearing down on the city.

Take care everyone! Please get safely out of town.

The entire city of Fort McMurray (population 70-80k) is now under complete evacuation order. :(

Prayers for all affected. Glad for once that my boys are working elsewhere, but the whole province is tinder dry.

This is horrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another hit to the already crippled Canadian oil industry.

Canadian oilsands city goes up in smoke:

"A huge wildfire in Fort McMurray, Alta., raged through neighbourhoods Tuesday afternoon, threatening the downtown core.

The entire city of 60,000 has been ordered evacuated. Residents fleeing the fire have caused gridlock on Highway 63 leading north and south out of the city.

Homes in Beacon Hill and the Centennial Trailer Park were confirmed as destroyed, but other neighbourhoods are believed to lost homes as well.

CBC Radio presents live coverage

As CBC Edmonton is the only radio station currently on the air in Fort McMurray, we will continue with live fire coverage through the evening. We will stay on air as long as the situation warrants.

You can find CBC Edmonton at 93.9 FM and 740 AM"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...e-destroys-homes-threatens-downtown-1.3563977

It was 87F way up north in Fort McMurray today.

"This fire today with the temperature, the relative humidity … the fuel is very explosive out there right now," he said.

Muir said the province has nine air tankers, a dozen helicopters, and more than 100 firefighters, with more on the way.

Firefighters are expecting a cold front to move into the area by mid-afternoon Wednesday, with winds gusting up to 50 km/h.

"So tomorrow is expected to be a more intense burning day than today is," Muir said."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...e-destroys-homes-threatens-downtown-1.3563977

A gas station exploded, hotel burned down, restaurants burning, entire neighbourhoods turning to ash. RCMP are delivering gas to people whose cars have run out of gas on the highway. Residents are evacuated to oil sands camps, but the nearest one has already his full capacity.

It will be a miracle if everyone gets out alive.

How did the fire start?

How did the fire start?

Not sure. It has been warm and dry with record breaking warm temperatures (breaking records from 100 years ago), and it's not uncommon for fires to be started by lightning.

It seems at this point everyone has made it out safely.
Our prayers to all websluth members , family and friends, who have been displaced.
The surrounding community are amazing in opening there homes.

I am friends with a former fire captain and battalion chief in Fort McMurray. He is on a work trip to Dubai and has to watch from afar while his property is in great risk of burning down. And I know another person who is evacuating to Edmonton.

<modsnip>

I have some family in Fort Mac, they posted on their facebook page late last night that they evacuated to the north and are camping on the side of the road. They have a 3 year old and also pregnant so it must be incredibly stressful... Another friend works at their hospital, she posted about an hour ago she is safe in a small community to the south - her family continued south to Edmonton but she is staying nearby as she is a nurse. The images and videos are harrowing, so far NO reports of injuries. For anyone considering donating, please give through the Canadian Red Cross.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...help-fort-mcmurray-residents/article29857776/

Wildfire in Lac Ste. Anne County now threatening homes
Last Updated: May 04, 2016 3:11 PM MT

A second wildfire is burning out of control in Alberta, threatening three homes in Lac Ste. Anne County northwest of Edmonton. The wildfire is on the Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation Reserve.
The Alberta Emergency Alert system advises people on the reserve and in the hamlet of Glenevis to be prepared for evacuation with one hour notice.

Tears and prayers for Fort Mac !!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back