• DM

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • MS

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

don_quixote

Reaction score
Does the prosecution hope to benefit from the Prisoner's Dilemma? MS must be very unhappy about DM trying to frame him. DM may think that he can manipulate the jury and/or finish off MS.

I think they both will. DM has even practiced his speech according to his jail house letters.

I think they both will. DM has even practiced his speech according to his jail house letters.

Ya right. Big problem is Millard wouldn't be able to give a speech even if he did testify. Only innocent people should take the stand, and even then they probably shouldn't.

Interesting question! Both will almost certainly be advised not to, but DM is hard to control and likely retains a delusional belief in his own powers of charm and persuasion and will likely see it as controlling his own destiny. From here it's hard to imagine a defense case game-changing enough that it doesn't still result in convictions for both of them, so they may feel they have nothing to lose. Still, conventional wisdom says they won't take the stand. And even though little has been conventional about any of this so far I'm going to gamble that DM has acquired some humility, or at least some appreciation of the power and skill of the state, and say no. Neither of them will take the stand.

Interesting question! Both will almost certainly be advised not to, but DM is hard to control and likely retains a delusional belief in his own powers of charm and persuasion and will likely see it as controlling his own destiny. From here it's hard to imagine a defense case game-changing enough that it doesn't still result in convictions for both of them, so they may feel they have nothing to lose. Still, conventional wisdom says they won't take the stand. And even though little has been conventional about any of this so far I'm going to gamble that DM has acquired some humility, or at least some appreciation of the power and skill of the state, and say no. Neither of them will take the stand.

My thoughts as well. DM wants to represent himself in the LB trial. Also, seems that now it's about getting a parole in 25. They secured 1st degree for themselves. Remorse and regret, empathy to the victim are essential. MS may be able to present his version where he is playing a "minor" role. That could also help him in 25 years. DM is delusional, exactly the word I had in mind, and may think he'll manipulate the jury. In probabilistic terms, I guesstimate the probability of talking @ 25% independently. But IMO, if one talks, then another one talks too. So a coin toss overall between both and neither.

Does the prosecution hope to benefit from the Prisoner's Dilemma? MS must be very unhappy about DM trying to frame him. DM may think that he can manipulate the jury and/or finish off MS.

I am thinking MS's lawyer might put him on the stand and it will go something like this ...

DUNGEY:.... were you with DM on the evening of May 6
MS: ...... yes
DUNGEY: ... did you plan to steal a truck
DUNGEY: ... did you kill TB
MS: ....... no
DUNGEY: ... did you help dispose of evidence and help clean up

But that's presuming DM actually did the killing , and that presumes DUNGEY knows what happened , and he is playing the angle that if one of the 2 guys should get a longer sentence it should not be MS

Yet the reverse could be true ..... if MS did the killing Pillay may put DM on the stand and do the same thing. But I doubt it because DM's goose is already cooked ,

(Further to above) ..... I dont know the law very well but I think if DEFENSE calls a witness (MS) to the stand DEFENSE gets to ask all the questions first .... and the crown can only cross examine on topics the defense brought up.

For example CROWN would obviously ask MS ..... where did you bury the gun ? .... but I dont think the CROWN could do that if DEFENSE did not first bring the gun topic up.

I could be wrong ... but I think in the USA it works that way.

Anyway , if DUNGEY calls MS to the stand I think there will only be a very few questions.

On the other hand I bet DM would love to take the stand and tell the world what a great guy he really is.

Neither one of them should but I'm not sure narcissistic DM can give up the opportunity to show us all how absolutely wonderful he is. Pillay and Sachak are going to have a hard time convincing him not to take the stand. On the other hand, I think MS is sitting pretty good right now. The letters show a concerted effort by DM to frame MS etc. etc. The more he says the worse it will get for him. He's guilty of course, and I think the Judge's instructions will leave no wiggle room for the jury. Dungey will tell MS to sit tight.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that DM will testify.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1h1 hour ago
I think there is a good chance Smich and Millard will take the stand. #Bosma

Personally, I think that's suicide...but we'll just have to wait and see I guess...

I don't know what to vote! If MS is legitimately not guilty of the murder (ie: didn't know it was going to go down/was in the Yukon when it happened/etc) then I think he SHOULD take the stand to get his story out......I think he has a sliver of a chance of getting off of 1st degree (albeit small due to his actions before and after). DM should not testify, but I think he might because he is a narcissist....and I would love to see a TD cross......MOO....still don't know what to vote...."I don't know" should be an option :)

I think MS has nothing to gain by taking the stand...the letters have already proved adequately that DM was setting up to frame him for the whole thing and if it is possible MS, has earned a small degree of sympathy for also being a victim of sorts.

DM on the other hand is delusional and has an immense ego problem.....until just a day or so ago, DM was still giving Smich the ' u effed up' look as if it was Mark alone who got them into this mess.
From comments through out the letters to CN, it is obvious that DM believes he is operant in his own defence....he has even written an address to be delivered to the jury---he may even believe that is is his given right to do so. DM is the loose canon at the naughty table.
MS has behaved like he was in church....thanks no doubt to his luck of the draw with the Dungeonator and I do not think he will volunteer to take the stand-----Unless of course, DM goes first that is and says something that sets off a sh&t storm.

I hear that DM is such a weirdo and based on his court behaviour, I would have to say that DM will take the stand.

Given that MS was admonished for violating no contact rule with his former g/f, and DM was not, perhaps there may be a chance that he would seize an opportunity to tip the scales a bit....in his own favour.

Poll threads are not general discussion threads. If you choose to explain why you voted the way you did, please just keep it reasonably brief without branching into other aspects of the case.

:wave:

I was hoping last week that both accused would take the stand because I wanted to hear what each of them had to say, especially MS. Now I think neither accused will testify. I want the trial finished and it could go on much longer if they each take the stand, IMO. I've come to believe that there is enough evidence against both DM and MS to secure convictions of first degree murder for them both, IMO. They each had their chance to talk when it mattered and now, IMO, it's far too late to make any difference at all. The evidence spoke for them, IMO. Soon we shall know what they decide.

MS will not
DM is 50/50. There is a stronger case for first degree, and he believes that he shines with unconventional approaches to conventional problems.

MS will not
DM is 50/50. There is a stronger case for first degree, and he believes that he shines with unconventional approaches to conventional problems.

I can't imagine what kind of evidence Dungey could introduce to change the outcome. IMO, MS has very little to lose. Could, as well, steer things up. And, depending on MS's testimony, DM may want to penalize him by giving his own evidence. Remember, there are a few more trials to come and the outcomes do matter for the accused. I think the odds of both testifying are significantly underestimated.

I can't imagine what kind of evidence Dungey could introduce to change the outcome. IMO, MS has very little to lose. Could, as well, steer things up. And, depending on MS's testimony, DM may want to penalize him by giving his own evidence. Remember, there are a few more trials to come and the outcomes do matter for the accused. I think the odds of both testifying are significantly underestimated.

At this point the only options are MS or neither. I saw Susan Clairmont tweet that if MS does decide to testify, DM can't decide to then testify after him. He can also not present any evidence without calling witnesses and he already decided not to call witnesses. He made his choice.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G14-Classified
Back