UNSOLVED PA - Somerset Co., Partial Skull found in Forbes State Forest, Apr'16

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score

A partial human skull found in a state forest last month had likely been there for at least 10 years.

Two park employees found the bones, about three-fourths of the top of a skull, on April 11.
<modsnip: broken link>

Dennis Dirkmaat, chairman of Mercyhurst University&#8217;s applied forensic sciences department... visited the wooded area where the partial skull was found April 11. The tour did not lead to additional bones...

&#8220;With the passage of time, other bones are likely covered up by leaf litter,&#8221; he said, adding that it&#8217;s also possible the skull was carried to the site years ago by an animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope they bring some dogs into that area. They're more likely to find bones than people.

I think UP15398 is probably one and the same. I read the article above that the first set of remains were found at some point prior to Mr D's "tour" of the site on 11 April. It was his visit to site on 11 April that failed to turn up additional bones.

No comparisons in Namus.

No PMI in Namus, but the article says the bones could have been there at least 10 years.

The only missing person from Somerset County in Namus, Shane Boone actually went missing in Maryland and doesn't fall in the approx 10 year range. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I think UP15398 is probably one and the same. I read the article above that the first set of remains were found at some point prior to Mr D's "tour" of the site on 11 April. It was his visit to site on 11 April that failed to turn up additional bones.

No comparisons in Namus.

No PMI in Namus, but the article says the bones could have been there at least 10 years.

The only missing person from Somerset County in Namus, Shane Boone actually went missing in Maryland and doesn't fall in the approx 10 year range. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Janet Shuglie and her daughter Marisa disappeared from Somerset County in 1985. Marisa's case is no longer viewable on NamUs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back