NY NY - Lawrence Ricci, 60, Brooklyn, 7 Oct 2005

Paradise

Reaction score
Defense Attorney Does Not Believe His Client's Absence Is Voluntary
By LARRY McSHANE, AP

http://ar.atwola.com/link/93179288/592633052/aoladp?target=_blank&border=0
NEW YORK (Oct. 13) - A Genovese family capo, facing a five-year jail term in a Brooklyn mob case, disappeared in the middle of his trial - prompting speculation that he instead received a Mafia-imposed death penalty.

"I do not consider my client's absence to be a voluntary one," defense attorney Martin Schmukler said in court on Wednesday, the second consecutive day that Lawrence Ricci was missing from the courtroom. Ricci, who generally kept a low public profile, went on trial Sept. 20 in the waterfront corruption case.

Ricci was due in court Tuesday when the trial resumed, but never appeared. He was last seen a week ago; his trial was scheduled to resume Monday.

"We are looking for him" said FBI spokesman Matt Bertrand. "We still haven't arrested him, or have him in our sights yet."

The timing of the disappearance was one of the factors in the concerns about Ricci. Even if convicted, he faced only a five-year sentence. And Schmukler said it was "entirely out of character" for his client to not show up, particularly three weeks into the trial.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051013151809990011

Linda7NJ said:
NEW YORK (Oct. 13) - A Genovese family capo, facing a five-year jail term in a Brooklyn mob case, disappeared in the middle of his trial - prompting speculation that he instead received a Mafia-imposed death penalty.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051013151809990011
They wanted to make sure he didn't testify to anything that might involve any of them. The Mafia insurance policy.

I wonder why this guy was out of jail on bond? He is a part of the mafia so he had to have been well aware that he might get "taken out" before or during his trial. He would have been smarter to have stayed in jail.

Sorry, but the way I see it is...people make a choice about the type of life they want to live. If they chose to live a dangerous life where power and money are most important then they know the consequences if they mess up.
I have a hard time feeling real compassionate about a person who is a part of the mafia and who is normally hard core. There are just to many innocent missing people of all ages out there who have disappeared through no fault of their own.

Bobbisangel said:
There are just to many innocent missing people of all ages out there who have disappeared through no fault of their own.

There are soooo many that it's really frightening. I've started to look over my shoulder every time I go out alone. And, who do you trust anymore?

Perhaps the Mafia made him a deal he couldn't refuse..........an all expenses paid trip to another country with a new identity.

a mobster missing??? what a shocker. :crazy:

sorry for being facetious but why is this news?

Trino said:
There are soooo many that it's really frightening. I've started to look over my shoulder every time I go out alone. And, who do you trust anymore?

I know. I walk outside in the middle of the night to put my garbage cans out for pickup and I have to remind myself that it isn't real smart to be out here by myself. I remember the time that a female friend and I used to walk all over town for exercise around 11 at night. We didn't think a thing of it. Just walked and talked. Can't do that kind of thing anymore. Where have all of the sicko's come from? It seems to just be getting worse and worse.

I heard on the news tonight that the rate of crime has gone down...believe that one???? All except rape that is! I think someone is trying to pull our leg. Just look at this site and try to tell us that the rate of crime has gone down :furious: Someone needs to pull their head out of their rear end :banghead:

A body found in the trunk of a car behind a Union County diner yesterday is believed to be that of a New Jersey mobster who vanished eight weeks ago in the middle of a Mafia-studded Brooklyn trial.

Lawrence Ricci, a reputed capo in the New Jersey branch of the Genovese crime family and a defendant in the fraud and extortion trial, disappeared in early October, sparking fears he had been killed by his gangland associates.

Yesterday, FBI agents told Ricci's family the body found in Union Township is probably that of the 60-year-old Essex County man, said New York lawyer Martin Schmukler, who represented Ricci at trial.

"The FBI says they believe it's him," Schmukler said. "They haven't made any definitive announcement yet, but they did tell that to a family member."

Authorities said the diner's owner called police about 10 a.m., reporting the Acura had been sitting in his back parking lot for five or six weeks. The lot, with room for about 100 vehicles, is accessible by a side street and is occasionally used by people other than the diner's customers. The rear of the lot backs to Union High School's athletic fields.

Ricci, whose involvement in the Genovese family dated back decades, was acquitted in absentia last month.

"I'm sorry he couldn't have been around to see the outcome of this case, and I'm especially sorry for his family, who lost a wonderful human being," Schmukler said. "Everybody who knew him liked him, and liked him a lot. Including me."
.http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1133446821244160.xml&coll=1

Wow, I had kinda forgotten about this. At least he was found, and his family can have some closure. Thanks for the update.

Paradise said:
Wow, I had kinda forgotten about this. At least he was found, and his family can have some closure. Thanks for the update.
And don't forget, he was acquitted first.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back