OH - Danielle Franklin, 13, beaten to death in her Norwood home, 13 Oct 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A Norwood father is behind bars after admitting he caused the death of his teenage daughter.

Danielle Franklin, 13, was found dead Thursday afternoon in her bedroom at 2075 Maple Avenue.

The Enquirer reports Danielle's mother, Katherine, found Danille's body.

Danielle's dad, Gordon Franklin, who also lived at the home, was immediately sought as a "person of interest."

After several residents reported seeing Franklin walking in the Newtown area, he was arrested at Eastgate Mall around midnight.

Franklin was charged with murder and taken to the Hamilton County Justice Center.

Danielle was a popular eighth grader and a member of the cheerleading squad, friends told 9News.
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/10/14/girl.html

Her cousin, Charlene Jump, told News 5 that Danielle had recently gotten into trouble with her dad for taking money and buying candy.

Police took golf clubs and bags of evidence from the home, Hawgood reported.
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/5095971/detail.html

Coroner: Girl Killed With Golf Putter While Sleeping
http://www.wkrc.com/breaking/story.aspx?content_id=751C874E-E460-4E1C-A738-2A0F4E3962A6

In 2002 Franklin was arrested for making a false report and resisting arrest when he went to the police station and reported that he had killed his son. His son was found alive and charges were filed against the father. The resisting arrest came from actions while this was going on. Here is the results of a search of the name Gordon Franklin at the Hamilton Co. Courts. It appears that the assault on a police officer was dismissed and that Franklin was given probation and a fine for the false report. The website won't let me do a direct link to the info. Go here: http://www.courtclerk.org/index.asp
Choose search court records, choose name search and enter his name Gordon Franklin to the search box.

The Hamilton County coroner has released gruesome details in the death of a Norwood teen who police say was killed by her own father.

Danielle Franklin, 13, died from repeated blunt force trauma to the head from a golf putter, said Coroner Dr. O'Dell Owens, during a Friday morning news conference.

There were no signs at defensive wounds, Owens said. "She was asleep. She didn't know it was coming," he said.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/10/14/girl_coroner.html

What a VERY sad story. What kind of father or person would kill their own child with a golf club while sleeping. This poor mother imagine what she is going through...she found her poor sweet daughter dead....and by the hands of her husband. Prayers to this mother. Rest in peace Danielle.

Did you see where in 2002, he went to the police station and reported he had killed his son? His son was found to be alive.

mysteriew said:
Did you see where in 2002, he went to the police station and reported he had killed his son? His son was found to be alive.

That's so weird. I think, if I were the mom, I'd have taken the kids and ran as far and as fast as I could from this nutcase.

mysteriew said:
No I didn't I saw your post an dclicekd on the link but I could not get it too work.

In the articel above I posted it says the beleive the mother was home and on the 2nd floor while her daughter was being killed by her father on the 3rd floor...........how horrilbe is that?!?!?!?!? This mother must feel incrediable guilt for not hearing something and being able to protect her own dauther.......what mother would ever feel she would need to protect her child from their own father.....what sad place this world as become.

MistyGirl said:
No I didn't I saw your post an dclicekd on the link but I could not get it too work.

The website won't allow a direct link, so I corrected the above link to find the court info.

This a very long article and really good article lots of more information about Danielle and who she was. It also mentions Gordon's prior arrest for claiming he killed his son.

Gordon Franklin was arrested three years ago on charges of making a false statement to the police. Court records say that Jan. 20, 2002, Franklin walked into a police station and told an officer that he and his wife had killed their son three months earlier.

"Gordon Franklin then admitted he was just joking around and trying to get disability so he would not have to work again," court records state. Franklin was placed on probation for the offense.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051014/NEWS01/510140412/-1/CINCI

When she left school Wednesday, Danielle Franklin was afraid.

Earlier, she and other cheerleaders had been in the principal's office confessing to the theft of candy bars and money for a school fund-raiser. Nine of them were given in-school suspensions for Friday and Monday.

Wednesday night, friends checked in with Danielle.

"I said, 'How much trouble are you going to be in?' " recalls Emily Carman, 13.

Danielle explained that her mom was furious and that she was grounded - allowed to leave her room only to eat or go to the bathroom.

Her father, Gordon Franklin, hadn't found out yet, Danielle added.

Some friends say Danielle was more worried about her father's reaction.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051015/NEWS01/510150374

:doh: Because "mom" stayed with him in spite of him being a "nut job" !

He murdered his little girl because she got into trouble at school along with 9 other 8th grade students? Sure she was wrong doing what she did but good Lord it wasn't that bad! I'm sure we will hear a lot more about the kind of person this father was.

I can't imagine going to the police and telling them I had murdered my son so that I wouldn't have to work anymore. Well, guess what Bud, you won't have to work anymore but you aren't going to like the alternative.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/health/5106807/detail.html

NORWOOD, Ohio -- Frances Franklin is haunted by the last conversation she had with her son. It was last Thursday morning, moments before he allegedly beat his 13-year-old daughter to death with a golf club.

A tearful Franklin poured out her shock and horror in an exclusive interview with News 5's Courtis Fuller.

"I said, 'OK, then, I'll probably see you later today,' and he said, 'I love you, Mom.' He always told me that. And that was the end of it. What did he do, get off the phone with me and do what he's accused of doing? I mean, within that five minutes?" Franklin said.

I have read a lot about bipolar disorder recently. Almost all of it was medical journals, research papers etc. We also have several members here who have bipolar and take meds for this. All of what I have read and members first hand accounts don't take this brutality into play. Most of the people affected would hurt themselves first not the other way around.So, I am wondering if some of these cases in the news lately arem't misdiagnosed.

In this case, early on he hurt himself but said he killed his son. He wanted disability so he wouldn't have to work so he used another excuse when his self-injury wasn't enough. This indicates to me more going on that bipolar.

I certainly don't know what his overall condition is but I have my doubts about it only being bipolar.

CP a lot of what is happening lately, is defense attorney's grasping at anything to mitigate their clients punishment.
Don't get me wrong, some persons with bipolar, esp ones in a manic state, can have extreme uncontrolled violent outbursts. It is not that they don't know it is wrong to kill, it is that their entire being is focused on their anger and rage. Later they may acknowlege that they were in the wrong, but at that time- they will completely deny it. All they see when they are in that state, is what they are angry about.
Most persons with bipolar won't go that far. Some will turn the rage in on themselves. Some just plain old don't get that bad.
This guy really has me puzzled, I wonder if he doesn't have other mental health problems, but so far there is nothing in what the family is saying. And LE is not talking. LE says that he has told them why he killed his dau. but they have so far refused to give that info to the media.

MistyGirl said:
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/health/5106807/detail.html

NORWOOD, Ohio -- Frances Franklin is haunted by the last conversation she had with her son. It was last Thursday morning, moments before he allegedly beat his 13-year-old daughter to death with a golf club.

A tearful Franklin poured out her shock and horror in an exclusive interview with News 5's Courtis Fuller.

"I said, 'OK, then, I'll probably see you later today,' and he said, 'I love you, Mom.' He always told me that. And that was the end of it. What did he do, get off the phone with me and do what he's accused of doing? I mean, within that five minutes?" Franklin said.

At last - a parent who calls it like it is. I have serious respect for this heartbroken mother and grandmother. I feel so badly for her.

Brefie said:
At last - a parent who calls it like it is. I have serious respect for this heartbroken mother and grandmother. I feel so badly for her.

Me too Brefie, for once a parent comes across with real feelings and not doing the denial thing.

That's a strange headline, isn't it? It leads you to believe he used a cheap space heater and burned the house down, or knowingly drove a car with bad brakes.

In a crazy rage this man beat his daughter to death. Reminds me exactly of that dad this summer who beat his daughter and her best friend to death in the woods because he believed she had taken money from her mom's purse.

With all the social services and community support we have, why do murderous fathers with a history of crazy violence still have access to their children? Nothing can bring this poor girl back, but maybe this can be a public lesson - did his mother and wife NOT see this coming?

KatherineQ said:
That's a strange headline, isn't it? It leads you to believe he used a cheap space heater and burned the house down, or knowingly drove a car with bad brakes.

In a crazy rage this man beat his daughter to death. Reminds me exactly of that dad this summer who beat his daughter and her best friend to death in the woods because he believed she had taken money from her mom's purse.

With all the social services and community support we have, why do murderous fathers with a history of crazy violence still have access to their children? Nothing can bring this poor girl back, but maybe this can be a public lesson - did his mother and wife NOT see this coming?

Yes, that guy that beat his daughter and her friend was close to me. Unbelievable what some parents can do to their own.

Gordon A. Franklin

Housed: Chillicothe Correctional Institution
Admission Date: 05/18/2006

Offense: Murder
Sentence: 15 years - Life

First Parole Hearing: 08/2020

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics