Ohio Police Arrest Woman For $1 In Unpaid Taxes

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
An Ohio woman was arrested after she didn't pay just more than $1 that she owed in income taxes, WLWT-TV in Cincinnati reported.

Deborah Combs owed the city of Loveland $1.16 last year, but she also hadn't filed her city income tax forms in five years, the television station said.

She said officers pulled her over and acted as though she were a violent criminal. http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/5093711/detail.html

Someone will undoubtedly tell me if I'm mistaken, but (1) when someone has a warrant out for their arrest, the police officers have NO discretion as to who they arrest and who they don't; (2) sometimes its not always possible for the arresting officer to know exactly what the warrant is for, so it could be anything, so why take a chance?

So they couldn't have just added a fee onto this and billed her? There must be more to this story than they're saying. How strange, I know times are tight but geez!!!:confused:

I wondered if this wasn't a case of the state cooperating with a city request. According to the article, she hadn't filed city taxes for 5 yrs.

Yes, but I think in Ohio if you don't earn anything you don't have to file, but I'm not positive about this. If she however earned money and and didn't file I'd say she had it coming.:)

Either way also I would say it was careless on her part. Personally being self-employed every year at the end of the year I always double-check to make sure they didn't tack on any late fees I wasn't aware of because sometimes the fine you just because they didn't process your payments on time and I always double-check just to cover my rump.

In some city's in Ohio you don't have to file city taxes. And in some places you have to file regardless if you have worked or not. Where I live at now you have to file if you work or not, but where I lived before you didn't have to if you didn't make alot. So when I moved here I assumed it was the same I was pretty young then and really didn't understand all that tax stuff. I didn't know till I lived her for 5 years that it was required when i recieved a letter telling me. So I got that taken care of and now I would make sure I know the laws. But no I don't think for 1 dollar she should have been arrested, billed and chared a fee yes. We have real crime to tend to.

A woman who hasn't paid a one-dollar and 16-cent income tax bill to the Cincinnati suburb of Loveland faces up to 18 months in jail and four-thousand dollars in fines.

City officials say Deborah Combs hasn't filed income tax returns for five years.

Combs says she has been mostly unemployed since 2000 and didn't realize she had to file the returns until the city notified her in February about the violation.
http://www.wkrc.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=31B1D955-3702-47D5-AA5E-D9697F6D1D79

I think it is rather insane that there are such differences in various cities in the same state. Also, if someone is not employed and files a tax return just to file it (by law), all that does is provide a job for someone to process the unnecessary return. Less government, please.

The IRS can do just about anything. But if it turns out she is owed a return for the years she didn't file, it is my understanding they would end up having to pay her.

But she will still have been arrested and have attorneys fees and such.
A relative did not file taxes while he was getting divorced thinking his wife had filed. Turned out she had filed seperately and he owed $250. He did not try to straighten it out for a couple of years and by then with interest and penalties he owed close to $6000. Then when he mailed the check to pay the amount, the irs applied it to someone elses account and were going to garnish his wages. He got a copy of the canceled check which proved what had happened but until then he was pretty scared.

A Loveland woman facing criminal charges as a result of $1.16 in back-taxes will make her first court appearance Monday.

Deborah Combs, the defendant in the case, is facing 18-months in jail and more than $3,000 in fines from taxes in the City of Loveland.

9News was also told that if the charges do go to a trial, Court TV is interested in carrying it live.
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/11/27/loveland_taxes.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back