765 users online (147 members and 618 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

TX - Samantha Broberg, 33, missing from Carnival cruise ship, 13 May 2016

Coast Guard searching for woman missing from Carnival cruise ship
    The 33-year-old woman, who hasn’t been identified, was reported missing by traveling companions on the Liberty cruise ship Friday, according to Carnival.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/coast...ship/190794575

Omg. Terrible. I actually found an interesting website once that keeps track of all people that fall overboard/disappear/or get killed on cruise ships. Who even knew it was a thing. I hope for her families sake they can recover her.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How sad. I can't imagine losing a loved one that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snipped...
    ...In a statement, Carnival says Samantha Broberg was initially reported missing by her traveling companions. Crew members were unable to locate her during an extensive ship-wide search, and surveillance camera footage appears to show the woman going overboard around 2am.
    Read more: http://abc13.com/news/cruise-ship-pa...-gulf/1337990/

[video @ link]

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
    Arlington woman missing in Gulf of Mexico after falling off cruise ship

http://www.fox4news.com/news/140950460-story

As I understand it, you can't fall off a cruise ship.

You can jump off, or be thrown off, but you can't fall off.

I'm guessing this woman jumped off.

I remember seeing that website someone mentioned as well. Lots of missing folks from cruise ships. It's scary! Then the legal situation involved because they are in water, not on land, so who is in charge of the investigation? I know people commit suicide daily. I know some people chose to drown. I don't understand spending that much money on a cruise, something most people only dream of doing, and committing suicide. Doesn't make sense to me. I often wonder if there's more foul play involved but easier for the cruise line, who want to make that money, to say video shows them going overboard, therefore suicide, case closed?

It's like when a crime happens in a tourist area on land, sometimes media doesn't want to report on it, and locals complain because crime happens, but to keep the tourist coming, it isn't reported to the public! All about that money...gotta keep the money coming...

Prayers for Samantha and the family!!!
    Fibromyalgia Fog at it's finest! Temporary loss of vocabulary may occur at any time.

I'm sure you can fall off the boat. The rails go just below chest level. There's many people that have fallen/gone missing on boats vacation.
    How terrible for her and her family.

If you are tipsy I bet you can fall

Frequent cruiser here. You would definitely have to climb up on something or otherwise hoist yourself over the rail. There are definitely a lot of suicides, and occasional foul play. But you won't accidentally fall off unless you decide to climb up on *something*.

Did the man overboard situation last year with the gay couple make it to Websleuths? It was pretty awful. The guy jumped after a fight with his partner, would not let crew help as they tried to reach down to help (he'd landed on an attached lifeboat, I believe) then finally slipped off and drowned. All on video.
    Last edited by ArianeEmory; 05-13-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by cvaldez1975 View Post
    If you are tipsy I bet you can fall
    Absolutely. Leaning, climbing and stepping up on the railings or balconies with the movement of the ship would make someone fall, especially in the wee hours of the morning when crew members "scrub the decks".which could make it slippery. It was the first night of the cruise, I wonder if it was her first cruise.

Prayers to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by ArianeEmory View Post
    Frequent cruiser here. You would definitely have to climb up on something or otherwise hoist yourself over the rail. There are definitely a lot of suicides, and occasional foul play. But you won't accidentally fall off unless you decide to climb up on *something*.

Did the man overboard situation last year with the gay couple make it to Websleuths? It was pretty awful. The guy jumped after a fight with his partner, would not let crew help as they tried to reach down to help (he'd landed on an attached lifeboat, I believe) then finally slipped off and drowned. All on video.
    Thank you.

You can not "fall" off a commercial cruise liner as a normal passenger.

Just leaning on the railing isn't going to make you fall over, and most newer ships have really good stabilizers. It's very hard for anyone to accidentally fall off, otherwise cruise lines would be out of business for lawsuits.

Relevant thread over here. Note that snark is high over here, but there are people like chengpk75 who really know their stuff about maritime law and engineering.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...5#post49976025
    Last edited by ArianeEmory; 05-13-2016 at 11:57 PM.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    Absolutely. Leaning, climbing and stepping up on the railings or balconies with the movement of the ship would make someone fall, especially in the wee hours of the morning when crew members "scrub the decks".which could make it slippery. It was the first night of the cruise, I wonder if it was her first cruise.

Prayers to the family.
    Have you ever been on a commercial cruise? I'm sorry to seem insistent, but a regular passenger can not slip and fall off a commercial cruise ship accidentally after a crew member "scrubs the decks".

I think this is her. She belongs to a garage sale swap site in Arlington. Also she looks like the woman on the flyers the cruise ship had poster.

https://m.facebook.com/samantha.stogner

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast