Resolved CA - Watsonville - Off Hwy 129 - Fem 13-17 - UP14233 - Skeletal -Brown/Red hair - Mar'95 - namus removed

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an old case involving a teenaged female that I had not noticed before. The info is sparse, but I think given the estimated age of the victim, it warrants a thread.

NamUs UP 14233 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/14233

No Image Available

Unidentified Female

Located: March 22, 1995, Near Highway 129 @ Mile Marker 8.62 in Santa Cruz County, California
Body Condition: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death No Estimate Available

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15-18
Approximate Height: cannot estimate.
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate.
Hair Color: Red/Auburn - 1-2" red hair located with the remains
Eye Color: Unknown

Clothing & Accessories

Clothing/Footwear/Accessories: None

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is currently not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later
DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted

Case History
Partial remains located in the river bed below Mile Marker 8.62 on Highway 129

I am looking at Becky Cook as a possible for this Jane Doe. Other than the distance, everything lines up pretty well. Since there are no circumstances indicated for Becky's case, it isn't clear whether the distance would be a problem.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23797/0

************************Becky Cook ************************ UP14233 ************************ Comparison ************
Age1715-18Within Range
HairRed/AuburnRed/AuburnMatch
Date LKA/Date of Discovery19-Feb-199522-Mar-199531 Days
Loc LKA/Loc of DiscoveryHartshorne, OKChittenden (Watsonville), CA1,700 miles

Since hair was located with the bones, and they were found outdoors in the open air, the girl's death was probably recent to the discovery.

BTW, I checked the yearbooks Classmates for Hartshorne High School (1991-1995) to see if there was a photo of her. Apparently, she didn't attend HS in the city where she was LKA.

Chittenden? I'm sure this area is Watsonville.

I've spent some time in this area. She must have been dumped or camped out under that tiny bridge between Chitteden pass and Parajo gap.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/NQ9W9eb4Rh72

This area is heavy agri industry. Dairy farms and processing plants, IIRC. A lot of commercial vehicles pass CA-129 everyday. The route truncates at U.S. 101 at the east end and the Pacific Highway at the west end (CA route 1). There is also a railroad right where she was found so this victim could be from anywhere.

Possibly a crust punk train riding transient? A female with short hair in that world might have been trying to pass as a man for safety reasons.

Chittenden? I'm sure this area is Watsonville.

I've spent some time in this area. She must have been dumped or camped out under that tiny bridge between Chitteden pass and Parajo gap.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/NQ9W9eb4Rh72

This area is heavy agri industry. Dairy farms and processing plants, IIRC. A lot of commercial vehicles pass CA-129 everyday. The route truncates at U.S. 101 at the east end and the Pacific Highway at the west end (CA route 1). There is also a railroad right where she was found so this victim could be from anywhere.

Yes, the Camflor plant has a mailing address in Watsonville, but the location is in the unincorporated area called Chittenden.

Mile Marker 8.62 is adjacent to where the railroad bridge passes over the Pajaro river between the Camflor plant (Quarry Lake) and Highway 129

Yes, the Camflor plant has a mailing address in Watsonville, but the location is in the unincorporated area called Crittenden.

Mile Marker 8.62 is adjacent to where the railroad bridge passes over the Pajaro river between the Camflor plant (Quarry Lake) and Highway 129
I see.

That makes perfect sense. I kept thinking by the road. I believe this is more closer than my previous attempt. https://goo.gl/maps/DbNwPkw9aBT2

Possibly a crust punk train riding transient? A female with short hair in that world might have been trying to pass as a man for safety reasons.

I hadn't thought of that. That is a good possibility. I always think of the highway first thing. She was found on the river bed. It's a possibility she was there one day cleaning after herself at the river. No CoD is listed. The torso and some limbs weren't recovered so we probably can't determine sexual activity, either.

The namus page of this girl not cites the race; where did you get the information that this girl is white race Carl?

Jennifer Wilmer looks promising. You can always comb out your dreadlocks but that takes months to do, if she were impatient she could have just shaved them off. Maybe she realized she couldn't afford a plane ticket back home and tried her hand at train-hopping. Even experienced riders get in accidents all the time.

that map makes sense... not too far off the 101 down 129 could be any traveler.

I see.

That makes perfect sense. I kept thinking by the road. I believe this is more closer than my previous attempt. https://goo.gl/maps/DbNwPkw9aBT2

I hadn't thought of that. That is a good possibility. I always think of the highway first thing. She was found on the river bed. It's a possibility she was there one day cleaning after herself at the river. No CoD is listed. The torso and some limbs weren't recovered so we probably can't determine sexual activity, either.

Original

IMO, Elisha Eittreim makes a decent potential match for this UID.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Google Maps

2 - 2 1/2 Hours between Napa, Ca where Elisha went missing and Highway 129 @ MM 8.62 in Ca where this UID's remains were located.

Elisha was 21 years old when she went missing which is 3 years beyond the estimated 15-18 yo age range. Her hair is described as "Shoulder length or longer, but wore it many different ways." Also note Elisha's hair style in one of the photos listed on her NamUs profile. It's quite short (1"-2") in certain areas of her head but it is listed as blonde/strawberry rather than red. As to that topic, NamUs lists the hair found with this UID as "red" and we all know red has many tones and shades and can be described differently depending on people's "interpretation" of color. Strawberry red and a lighter shade of red could be the same color described differently (IMO) .

The circumstances on Elisha's profile state that the "MP Left friend's residence to walk home. She never arrived at her destination. Friend became concerned and began to check the neighborhood but was unable to locate MP." So, Elisha supposedly was walking home. It's possible she hitched a ride or was abducted and eventually taken to where these partial remains located.

I'll keep pondering this potential match. Hopefully one or some of you will provide some input.
TIA.

Namus was recently updated www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/14233/details?nav

Age range lowered to 13-17
Ethnicity White or Hispanic
Estimated year of death 1977-1984
Approx height 5'1 to 5'7
Hair rooted hair on scalp is brown - Would I be correct in assuming brown is her natural colour and the red could have either been dyed or from sun exposure? In which case a LOT of other MPs could be possible matches.

Circumstances of Recovery Partial remains located in the river bed below MM 8.62 on Highway 129 - UPDATED: Case was initially believed to be a homestead burial and not forensic. Recent carbon dating of remains returned a DOB between 1964 -1967, with an estimated date of death between 1977- 1984
UPDATED BIO: Female, 13-17 years at death, between 5'1" and 5'7", possible European ancestry. Rooted hair on scalp is brown.

I'll report this post and ask Admin to update the case title.

Now that Jane Doe may have had brown hair, I noticed Diane Dye disappeared less than an hour to an hour away. Jane Doe has no exclusions on NamUs. Seems they have the remains though. Sorry if this match has been mentioned before.
Santa Cruz County Jane Doe UP14233Diane Genice Dye MP4020
SexFemaleFemale
RaceWhite/Caucasian and/or Hispanic/Latino (Possible European ancestry)White/Caucasian
Age13 - 1713
DLC/DOD1977 - 1984July 30, 1979
Height5'1 - 5'75'2
WeightUnknown110 pounds
Hair ColorBrown/RedBrown
Eye ColorUnknownHazel
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown/NoneScar on chin, pierced ears.
CircumstancesFound in river bed in Santa Cruz County.Last seen in San Jose, California
DistanceSan Jose - Watsonville44.3 miles

Adrianne Gilliam doesn't match as well as Diane IMO but I think a potential match between Jane Doe and Adrianne is worth a mention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12
Back