600 Pound Man Dies in Fire merged

MrsMush99

Former Member
Reaction score
Link

Obese Man Dies in Fire Despite Rescue Efforts
Sunday, October 16, 2005

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. — A fire destroyed a mobile home, killing a 600-pound, homebound man who could not be moved out in time despite the efforts of neighbors and firefighters.

Timothy Lee Morris, 45, called 911 from his home when it caught fire Saturday afternoon, fire officials said. His daughters, ages 8 and 13, summoned neighbors, pleading for them to help free their father.

"He was in the front room. We tried and tried to yank him out," said neighbor Clinton Turner. "He kept saying, 'Help,' but we couldn't get him out."

I know JBean. I felt so bad when I read the article. And his children were standing nearby watching all this take place. Really sad.

this is super sad. He sounded like such a nice guy from what the article listed too. How helpless everyone must've felt.

MrsMush99 said:
I know JBean. I felt so bad when I read the article. And his children were standing nearby watching all this take place. Really sad.
I have to admit, when I have read about some of these obese homebound people, it never occurred to me to think about their inability to escape in an emergency. I saw one guy on a documentary , who had to be removed by a special crew, special equipment, and a special vehicle to get to the doctor. But I still never thought about this and it surely is a major consideration.
Just awful.

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]poor Guy :( and his little girls too...
=====

A fire destroyed a mobile home, killing a 600-pound, homebound man who could not be moved out in time despite the efforts of neighbors and firefighters.
[/font] [font=Verdana,Sans-serif]Timothy Lee Morris, 45, called 911 from his home when it caught fire Saturday afternoon but couldn't get out by himself, fire officials said. His daughters, ages 8 and 13, summoned neighbors, but they were unable to move him.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]"He was in the front room. We tried and tried to yank him out," said neighbor Clinton Turner. "He kept saying, 'Help,' but we couldn't get him out."[/font]

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]Authorities said police and firefighters eventually were able to put Morris on a backboard and slide him out the front door. Morris had several health problems, including breathing complications.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]"Timmy probably didn't get burned at all," Battalion Chief John Nelson said. "He probably died from smoke inhalation."
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051016/D8D9B7H81.html
[/font]

OH my.. sad indeed... :eek: but 600 lbs? :eek:

:(

This breaks my heart! How helpless he must've felt...
how tragic for EVERYONE... him, his little girls...and
the people who desperately tried to rescue him.
I am kinda sorry in a way that I read this but will pray for
them... Tough story, but thanks for posting it, Cass.

love,

Ariel

I feel horribly sad for this family, and not just for what happened at the end. These girls have had to have been going through hell just dealing with a parent that obese. They've got to take on rolls that they're just not equipped to deal with and the parent can't fulfill the roll that they're supposed to fill. In this day and age with all our medical know-how, there's just no need to remain that obese. There IS help available.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back