MI MI - Robert Dale, 33, Sault Ste Marie, 18 May 1996

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
Bob Dale has been missing for 20 years now. His family continues searching for answers.

NamUs

Doe Network

Find Bob Dale Facebook Page

Charley Project

dale_robert.jpg
dale_robert2.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: May 18, 1996 from Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Date of Birth: November 3, 1962
• Height and Weight: 5'7, 170 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Black hair, brown eyes. Dale's nickname is Bob. He has dimples and a mustache.
• Clothing/Jewelry Description: A bright yellow polo shirt, black dress pants or black jeans, and deck shoes, possibly with lug soles.

Details of Disappearance
Dale was last seen in Saulte Sainte Marie, Michigan between 11:30 p.m. and midnight on May 18, 1996. He attended a social gathering with friends at the Downtowner, a local bar, the evening of his disappearance. He got into an argument with his wife and afterwards left the establishment, supposedly to wait in the car. He was last seen walking westward down a paved road, Moloney's Alley. He has never been heard from again. Dale's wife stated the argument they had was a normal disagreement and not serious.

Dale was employed as a carpenter at Chi-Chuk Construction at the time of his disappearance, and has three sons. He is described as a dedicated family man who would not have abandoned his relatives. He was reported missing at 4:44 a.m. on May 20. Dale had little money and no credit cards with him at the time he went missing, and there is no evidence that he attempted to hitchhike or take a taxicab out of the area. Authorities do not believe he left of his own accord, and his family suspects foul play was involved in his disappearance. His case remains unsolved.

1996 disappearance of Bob Dale remains a mystery

“We just want to know where he is at,” said younger brother Scott Dale who long ago accepted the most likely outcome. “He has a burial spot already (next to his parents). He has a place to go. We just need to find him and get him there.”

For Scott, the passage of the years has not diminished his need for answers and he continues, along with his wife Kathy, to attempt to solve this mystery from their home in Lower Michigan long after departing from the Sault.

Scott wholeheartedly believes that he has figured out what happened on the day his brother went missing, but there are a few puzzle pieces that he needs help with to get them to fit.

“It’s going to take a little time,” he said, “or one or two people to come forward.”

Questions remain in 1996 disappearance of Bob Dale - May 2011

I lived in the Soo when this occurred. I didn't know him personally. Heard small town rumors and speculation. I hope he is found some day.

He went to sit in the car and then was last seen walking westward. Who saw him walking? Did him and his wife both have a set of keys or was the car left open?

Reddit gives a little more detail. I recently forwarded the story to podcast being from SSM myself. I hope they will cover it.

Reddit gives a little more detail. I recently forwarded the story to podcast being from SSM myself. I hope they will cover it.

Was a podcast episode ever made for this case?

Last seen with his wife Kristi Dale traveling northbound 6 mile on the Mackinac Trail until a second vehicle turn onto 6 mile.
Bob Dale stood 5'7 and weighed 170lbs. Notable features include dark hair and a mustache.
Places to get information on the case is the Sault Sainte Marie Police Department and the Find Bob Dale Facebook page.

Recently heard about this RD case from 1996. Very puzzling case - as are all MP cases where no trace of the person has ever been found and there's no evidence than anything other than a disappearance occurred, etc.

My first thought is this: By all accounts, RD was intoxicated when he vanished - so, he may have just wandered off from the bar/party where he was last seen - and someone ended up accidentally drowning in one of the many bodies of water that were in that area. Since this happened late at night & given his inebriated state, I find this explanation plausible - maybe. As to why he has never been located - it's possible the body got swept away & or sunk to the bottom of the body of water, etc. - and was never located because of this.

This seems the most likely explanation given the area, etc.

Side-note: In looking up this case, it's not surprising that RD is sometimes confused with the late Bob Dole, who ran for president in the same year RD went missing (1996).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back