GUILTY WA - Jose Castillo-Cisneros, 3, brutally murdered, Battle Ground, 24 May 2016

PastTense

Reaction score
A Battle Ground man suspected of killing his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son Monday night allegedly beat and stabbed the boy to death after the child started crying over a movie that he didn’t want to watch, according to court records. The boy, identified in court records as Jose Castillo-Cisneros, but who went by Pepe, later died of his injuries at an area hospital. Police arrested Ricardo Gutierrez at the scene.

Gutierrez, 39, made his first court appearance Tuesday morning in Clark County Superior Court on suspicion of first-degree murder. Judge Daniel Stahnke set his bail at $1.5 million.

Gutierrez lived at the Battle Ground residence and was in a relationship with the victim’s mother but was not the boy’s father, Battle Ground Police Department spokeswoman Bonnie Gilberti said. Gutierrez had lived at the residence for only a couple of months, court records say. Pepe had autism...
http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/...3-dies-from-injuries-man-faces-murder-charge/
Jose-Castillo-Cisneros3.jpg

This article is a must-read, even though you will be in tears and :furious: by the time you're done. Thank you, PastTense, for starting a thread for this beautiful little boy, who everyone knew as Pepe....

More from the extensive write up in The Columbian
[...]
The mother’s account

Cisneros was washing dishes when she heard the children crying upstairs. She said she rushed upstairs and went into a bedroom to see Gutierrez throwing Pepe against the wall. There was a large hole in the drywall. She said Gutierrez was trying to choke Pepe, according to the affidavit.

Cisneros told Gutierrez that he was killing Pepe, she said, but he wouldn’t stop. She placed her 1-month-old son on top of Pepe to keep Gutierrez from assaulting him further. But that didn’t work, according to court documents. It’s unclear if the 1-month-old was injured.

Gutierrez stopped when it appeared Pepe was no longer breathing, court records said. Cisneros suffered injuries to her leg and neck, and a possible broken arm during the assault, police said.

The 9-year-old girl told police she was upstairs with her brother watching a movie when he started crying because he didn’t want to watch that movie. Pepe went into Gutierrez’s bedroom. Gutierrez became enraged by the boy’s crying, she said, and tried to pull him into the room, the affidavit said. The girl said Gutierrez hated Pepe.

Gutierrez told police that he doesn’t remember assaulting Pepe. He said he remembered going out to dinner with the family earlier that evening. After that, he was being handcuffed by police. Gutierrez said he has blacked out in the past from anger, the affidavit said.
[...]

He is set to be arraigned June 3.

The Battle Ground Police Department and the Clark County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit are continuing an investigation into the incident.
[...]

BBM1: Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot!!!! Who placed a one month old infant into harm's way like that?

(ETA: BIUBM: I'm also wondering if the one month old is biologically related to the murderer (and Pepe was not), and if that was part of the entire DV dynamic that was going on? In addition to the stressor of the daily life of raising Pepe? Not that there is ANY excuse! That said, it is still BEYOND the pale that a baby was used as a human shield. I'm trying to understand the thought process of using a one month old to "calm the beast" especially one in a murderous rage."

There's NO excuse for it, regardless! I can't imagine any parent doing something like that. Depending on development, some infants at that age can barely hold their heads up!

BBM2: Ugh, how many times have we heard this one? The article mentions a previous attempted murder charge, and a history of DV (his past victim was in a coma and on sa ventilator FCOL!). To say Gutierrez has "anger management issues" is the understatement of the Millenium. He had no business around any children (much less Pepe, OR an infant).

Both require patience and loving attention at all times! I implore my fellow WSers to read PastTense's linked article above. It describes Pepe's recent positive strides in his life.

[video=youtu;DDhvSwqh-7o]http://youtu.be/DDhvSwqh-7o[/video]
Memorial for Pepe linked by The Columbian's YouTube Channel

Look at this smile! I can't believe he's gone - forever. What's worse is how he suffered SO tremendously. It is cases like these that tear me apart. As a DV survivor, they bring trigger emotions I try to keep buried deep inside. :(

5deb1d7d58f88ff4d1bae3b84e2902cd.jpg

Image of Pepe from the slideshow

If / when the Probable Cause documents are released, then we will know more (and our hearts will break further). I just hope I am wrong. Our children deserve to grow up in a safe place.

The fire is lit for me, and I will not rest until this beautiful little boy's voice is heard...

#JusticeForPepe

:floating:
:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayes said it’s likely an assault charge will also be filed against Gutierrez in this case. He asked Stahnke to set Gutierrez’s bail at $1 million.

Gutierrez’s court-appointed defense attorney, Ed Dunkerly, said that bail amount is unreasonable.

“I also don’t think that’s reasonable,” Stahnke said. “I’ll set it at $1.5 million.”

Stahnke ordered that Gutierrez is not to have contact with his girlfriend or her other children.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/...3-dies-from-injuries-man-faces-murder-charge/

I like this judge. Just sayin. Defense attorney whines and says the bail is unreasonable. Judge agrees and raises it.

omg I cant even. I have a 3 year old boy. this hurts me so bad, that poor baby.

This article is a must-read, even though you will be in tears and :furious: by the time you're done. Thank you, PastTense, for starting a thread for this beautiful little boy, who everyone knew as Pepe....

More from the extensive write up in The Columbian
[...]
The mother’s account

Cisneros was washing dishes when she heard the children crying upstairs. She said she rushed upstairs and went into a bedroom to see Gutierrez throwing Pepe against the wall. There was a large hole in the drywall. She said Gutierrez was trying to choke Pepe, according to the affidavit.

Cisneros told Gutierrez that he was killing Pepe, she said, but he wouldn’t stop. She placed her 1-month-old son on top of Pepe to keep Gutierrez from assaulting him further. But that didn’t work, according to court documents. It’s unclear if the 1-month-old was injured.

Gutierrez stopped when it appeared Pepe was no longer breathing, court records said. Cisneros suffered injuries to her leg and neck, and a possible broken arm during the assault, police said.

The 9-year-old girl told police she was upstairs with her brother watching a movie when he started crying because he didn’t want to watch that movie. Pepe went into Gutierrez’s bedroom. Gutierrez became enraged by the boy’s crying, she said, and tried to pull him into the room, the affidavit said. The girl said Gutierrez hated Pepe.

Gutierrez told police that he doesn’t remember assaulting Pepe. He said he remembered going out to dinner with the family earlier that evening. After that, he was being handcuffed by police. Gutierrez said he has blacked out in the past from anger, the affidavit said.
[...]

The Battle Ground Police Department and the Clark County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit are continuing an investigation into the incident.
[...]

BBM1: Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot!!!! Who placed a one month old infant into harm's way like that?

(ETA: BIUBM: I'm also wondering if the one month old is biologically related to the murderer (and Pepe was not), and if that was part of the entire DV dynamic that was going on? In addition to the stressor of the daily life of raising Pepe? Not that there is ANY excuse! That said, it is still BEYOND the pale that a baby was used as a human shield. I'm trying to understand the thought process of using a one month old to "calm the beast" especially one in a murderous rage."

There's NO excuse for it, regardless! I can't imagine any parent doing something like that. Depending on development, some infants at that age can barely hold their heads up!

BBM2: Ugh, how many times have we heard this one? The article mentions a previous attempted murder charge, and a history of DV (his past victim was in a coma and on sa ventilator FCOL!). To say Gutierrez has "anger management issues" is the understatement of the Millenium. He had no business around any children (much less Pepe, OR an infant).

Both require patience and loving attention at all times! I implore my fellow WSers to read PastTense's linked article above. It describes Pepe's recent positive strides in his life.

[video=youtu;DDhvSwqh-7o]http://youtu.be/DDhvSwqh-7o[/video]
Memorial for Pepe linked by The Columbian's YouTube Channel

Look at this smile! I can't believe he's gone - forever. What's worse is how he suffered SO tremendously. It is cases like these that tear me apart. As a DV survivor, they bring trigger emotions I try to keep buried deep inside. :(

5deb1d7d58f88ff4d1bae3b84e2902cd.jpg

Image of Pepe from the slideshow

If / when the Probable Cause documents are released, then we will know more (and our hearts will break further). I just hope I am wrong. Our children deserve to grow up in a safe place.

The fire is lit for me, and I will not rest until this beautiful little boy's voice is heard...

#JusticeForPepe

bumping because people need to know about this boy and this story. This has to stop.

I think of my own son who is growing and learning but still very much a baby and I cant imagine anyone wanting to stab or punch him. my heart :( I wish women would be discerning with their partners.

Absolutely devastating. I live very near this small community, and to say that hearts are broken over this sweet boy is an understatement.

I opened this and cried again. I cant even look at his pic :(

Thank you for the update OkieGranny :heart:

I'm disheartened to know that an insanity defense is being prepared in this case :cow:

Every time I look at Pepe's picture, with his beaming smile, I have a physical reaction, knowing he will never smile like that again on this earth, in THIS life! It is infuriating!

The adjudication process will now be drawn out even further. Once again, the rights of the defendant outweigh that of the victim. It is up to The State, and #WeThePeople, to ensure this little boy's voice is heard!

I know I sound like a broken record, but it's a fact: our laws must be changed. All victims (especially child victims) deserve to have a Bill of Rights on the books (or better yet, Constitutionally Guaranteed), that insures they are protected throughout the legal process.

Until this happens, the scales are not balanced - far from it. :moo:

#JusticeForPepe

hear hear! he was so damn cute. I cant even....

Thank you for the update OkieGranny :heart:

I'm disheartened to know that an insanity defense is being prepared in this case :cow:

Every time I look at Pepe's picture, with his beaming smile, I have a physical reaction, knowing he will never smile like that again on this earth, in THIS life! It is infuriating!

The adjudication process will now be drawn out even further. Once again, the rights of the defendant outweigh that of the victim. It is up to The State, and #WeThePeople, to ensure this little boy's voice is heard!

I know I sound like a broken record, but it's a fact: our laws must be changed. All victims (especially child victims) deserve to have a Bill of Rights on the books (or better yet, Constitutionally Guaranteed), that insures they are protected throughout the legal process.

Until this happens, the scales are not balanced - far from it. :moo:

#JusticeForPepe

September 2016:

Man arraigned in Battle Ground toddler’s death, pleads not guilty

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/sep/19/man-arraigned-in-battle-ground-toddlers-death-pleads-not-guilty/

A Battle Ground man accused of killing his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son entered not-guilty pleas Monday in Clark County Superior Court, though his attorney said he may enter an insanity plea at a later date.

Ricardo Gutierrez, 39, faces charges of first-degree domestic violence murder and second-degree domestic violence assault for allegedly beating and stabbing Jose “Pepe” Castillo-Cisneros to death May 23 at their Battle Ground home. He was not the boy’s father.

Judge Robert Lewis also granted the defense’s waiver of speedy trial and set Gutierrez’s trial date for June 26. His next hearing will be Nov. 8.

Murder trial begins in fatal beating of Battle Ground toddler

https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/jan/29/murder-trial-begins-in-fatal-beating-of-battle-ground-toddler/

Ricardo Gutierrez’s defense attorney told a Clark County Superior Court judge Monday morning that there’s no doubt his client killed his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son in May 2016. But he argues the slaying was not premeditated.

The brutal, fatal beating of Jose “Pepe” Castillo-Cisneros, stemmed from months of Gutierrez’s frustration over the boy’s behavior, defense attorney Ed Dunkerly said during opening statements in Gutierrez’s murder trial.

Prosecutors say the slaying was planned.

Murder trial looks at special needs of toddler who was killed

Testimony offered Tuesday in Ricardo Gutierrez Jr.’s murder trial indicates that he knew his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son was developmentally delayed and that the boy’s behavioral outbursts stemmed from those issues.

In December 2015, Callery spoke with Gutierrez during one of her visits about Pepe’s development delay, his outbursts and why he behaves that way. Gutierrez reportedly asked her if Pepe’s brain was “different” and specifically asked her about autism, she testified.

They also discussed whether enforcing stricter discipline, such as spanking, would help to deter Pepe’s behavior. Callery testified that she told Gutierrez that Pepe would not respond to physical discipline the same as a typical child. She used an example in which Pepe’s mother had spanked him, and he responded by smiling and laughing.

Testimony describes murder suspect’s dislike of 3-year-old

In one message, Gutierrez wrote to his brother, “Salimas mal,” which a Spanish interpreter translated to mean, “We ended up bad.” The message goes on to read, “…cause of punk *advertiser censored* Pepe. Lil (expletive) *advertiser censored* always yelling wanting everything so I yelled at him and told him to shut the (expletive) up lol. He started crying hella bad too. Like someone killing him.”

Later in the exchange, Gutierrez wrote that Pepe’s family could see that he didn’t like the boy and treated him differently because of it. He told his brother that he would buy the family stuff to try to gain favor.

Then, a former co-worker of Gutierrez’s took the stand.

He testified through a Spanish interpreter that Gutierrez confided in him often about his relationship issues and his dislike for Pepe. Gutierrez reportedly told the co-worker that Pepe was “not good.” The toddler would cry at home for no reason, and that upset Gutierrez.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/feb/01/gutierrez-guilty-in-death-of-battle-ground-3-year-old/

After months of growing exasperation, an “innocent event apparently broke the dam of frustration” that led Ricardo Gutierrez Jr. to kill his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son, a judge said Thursday.

Clark County Superior Court Judge Robert Lewis found Gutierrez, 41, guilty of first-degree murder in the beating death of Jose “Pepe” Castillo-Cisneros, with an aggravating factor that Pepe was a particularly vulnerable victim. The finding allows for a longer-than-normal sentence if the judge sees fit.

Gutierrez will be sentenced Feb. 13.

not enough years, since he'll be out in under 20, easy. EVERYONE needs to read this boy's story IMO. I am so sad that we failed this little boy... as a society, as a culture that thinks violence is ok...

Yeah, no wonder he wanted a bench trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back