709 users online (105 members and 604 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Brazil - Rye Hunt, 25, Rio de Janeiro, 21 May 2016

Rye Hunt: Australian traveller goes missing at Brazil's Rio de Janeiro Airport

The family of an Australian man who disappeared after going to buy a coffee at Rio de Janeiro International Airport in Brazil almost a week ago fear for his safety.

Rye Hunt, 25, was headed for Bolivia with a friend as part of a world adventure when the pair parted at the airport as Mr Hunt went to a shop.

His family in Hobart said he was an experienced traveller and his break of contact was out of character.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-2...brazil/7450526

Former Goldfields worker Rye Hunt missing in Brazil
    May 26, 2016

Snipped...
    ..."They were staying in Rio and their next intended destination was Bolivia," Ms Brodribb said.

"When Rye didn't turn up [his friend] went looking around the airport, and talked to security for hours."

Unable to find Mr Hunt, his friend returned to their hostel in Rio to continue the search.
    http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/fo...26-gp4vm4.html

Justice for Jennifer

Rest in peace Danielle and Tammy

Australian TV show piece https://www.facebook.com/theprojectt...3642526008441/

Hopefully LE in Rio will want to be all over this and avoid more bad publicity ahead of the Olympics.
    Justice for Jennifer

Rest in peace Danielle and Tammy

Snipped...
    ...The two mates, who met while working in Kalgoorlie, were part way through a six-month adventure that had already taken them to Thailand and then South America.

“Embarking on an adventure now to see the world over the next few months. Unsure of what the future has instore for us, stay safe everybody, hope to see you all upon our return,” was one of the last post’s Rye put on his Facebook page.

“It is really out of character not to hear from Rye,” his sister Romany Brodribb said.

“He did not return to meet up with his mate Mitchell after the pair had a spat at the airport and seems to have just vanished.

“Mitchell walked around the airport for hours and hours and went back to the hostel where they were staying in case Rye had gone there.”

The family spoke to Rye on his birthday last week but has not heard from him since.
    http://www.themercury.com.au/news/ta...5e7026fbc7ee5d

Rye Hunt is missing in Rio de Janeiro
    May 27, 2016

Snipped...
    ...“The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing consular assistance to the man’s family.

“Due to privacy obligations, we will not provide further comment.”

In March the department issued a warning for travellers to exercise a high degree of caution in Brazil due to high levels of serious and violent crime, particularly in major cities.

“You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times,” the warning said.

“The incidence of violent crime, including muggings, armed robbery, kidnappings and sexual assault, is significant.

“Tourists are targeted, particularly around festival periods.”
    http://www.news.com.au/world/south-a...0d4dbcfa3b0495

Rye Hunt: Airport CCTV confirms missing man argued with friend before disappearing, family says
    12 mins ago

Snipped...
    ...Ms Brodribb also said it appeared the pair had an argument and her brother left the airport, but it was unclear how he left.

"It indicates that they had an argument, a disagreement which his travel partner had previously told us," she said.

"The CCTV footage does also verify that. It also confirms the Rye left the airport and that he was alone.

"They had a verbal disagreement, I believe, and then they agreed to separate and cool off and to meet back in 30 minutes."

Mr Hunt never returned.
    Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-2...t-cctv/7456914

Not to make light of the situation but how are you to travel with someone for 6months and you are already fighting at the start of the trip.I hope this is not a mental health problem like depression.I do not feel this is a robbery with his c.cards not being used.Could be either an accident or suicide.I wonder where his belongings were found?Near water?
    Last edited by cuffem; 05-29-2016 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cuffem View Post
    Not to make light of the situation but how are you to travel with someone for 6months and you are already fighting at the start of the trip.I hope this is not a mental health problem like depression.I do not feel this is a robbery with his c.cards not being used.Could be either an accident or suicide.I wonder where his belongings were found?Near water?
    I had not read where they found his belongings, do you happen to have a link? Thank you in advance

ETA...I found it....just being blind as bat as per the usual. This is very concerning, didn't his travel companion say he was going for coffee? I wonder if the footage shows his companion at Airport for hours searching as he alleges. IMHO

I really hope there able to track the taxi driver down!!

Quote Originally Posted by cuffem View Post
    I think they had been traveling for some time at this point.

"The two mates, who met while working in Kalgoorlie, were part way through a six-month adventure that had already taken them to Thailand and then South America."

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/ta...5e7026fbc7ee5d

I hope he's okay and contacts his family soon. Rio can be a dangerous place.

He sure does not look like a typical Australian - seems he speaks spanish. I am intrigued!! In the photos he looks like about 3 different people. The last few taken he appears thinner. I am afraid this is going to be a real eye opener. Thanks for reading JMO

Wow- this is concerning. You would think that as close as it is to the Olympic Games, that there should be cameras any/everywhere he might have gone.

And I'm guessing that the two of them never actually purchased tickets? That's how i read the story
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

He left the airport in a taxi. It doesn't sound like these guys were lifelong friends, more recent acquaintances. I wonder if one of them did not have the funds to finance their part of the trip or blew money on partying and this caused a rift between them? Or did Mr. Hunt meet a girl or go to party elsewhere? Perhaps he just wanted to dump his traveling companion? So hard to know what is in someone's mind. Hope they both return home safely.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast