Found Deceased Brazil - Rye Hunt, 25, Rio de Janeiro, 21 May 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Rye Hunt: Australian traveller goes missing at Brazil's Rio de Janeiro Airport
13312716_10156947707375464_9055489623917191824_n.jpg

The family of an Australian man who disappeared after going to buy a coffee at Rio de Janeiro International Airport in Brazil almost a week ago fear for his safety.

Rye Hunt, 25, was headed for Bolivia with a friend as part of a world adventure when the pair parted at the airport as Mr Hunt went to a shop.

His family in Hobart said he was an experienced traveller and his break of contact was out of character.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/australian-rye-hunt-missing-in-brazil/7450526

Snipped...
...The two mates, who met while working in Kalgoorlie, were part way through a six-month adventure that had already taken them to Thailand and then South America.

“Embarking on an adventure now to see the world over the next few months. Unsure of what the future has instore for us, stay safe everybody, hope to see you all upon our return,” was one of the last post’s Rye put on his Facebook page.

“It is really out of character not to hear from Rye,” his sister Romany Brodribb said.

“He did not return to meet up with his mate Mitchell after the pair had a spat at the airport and seems to have just vanished.

“Mitchell walked around the airport for hours and hours and went back to the hostel where they were staying in case Rye had gone there.”

The family spoke to Rye on his birthday last week but has not heard from him since.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...e/news-story/8958ba5156867c53f05e7026fbc7ee5d

Rye Hunt is missing in Rio de Janeiro
May 27, 2016

Snipped...
...“The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing consular assistance to the man’s family.

“Due to privacy obligations, we will not provide further comment.”

In March the department issued a warning for travellers to exercise a high degree of caution in Brazil due to high levels of serious and violent crime, particularly in major cities.

“You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times,” the warning said.

“The incidence of violent crime, including muggings, armed robbery, kidnappings and sexual assault, is significant.

“Tourists are targeted, particularly around festival periods.”
http://www.news.com.au/world/south-...o/news-story/f80845deb4b6ae23ee0d4dbcfa3b0495

Rye Hunt: Airport CCTV confirms missing man argued with friend before disappearing, family says
12 mins ago

Snipped...
...Ms Brodribb also said it appeared the pair had an argument and her brother left the airport, but it was unclear how he left.

"It indicates that they had an argument, a disagreement which his travel partner had previously told us," she said.

"The CCTV footage does also verify that. It also confirms the Rye left the airport and that he was alone.

"They had a verbal disagreement, I believe, and then they agreed to separate and cool off and to meet back in 30 minutes."

Mr Hunt never returned.

Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...-arguing-with-friend-rio-airport-cctv/7456914

Not to make light of the situation but how are you to travel with someone for 6months and you are already fighting at the start of the trip.I hope this is not a mental health problem like depression.I do not feel this is a robbery with his c.cards not being used.Could be either an accident or suicide.I wonder where his belongings were found?Near water?

Not to make light of the situation but how are you to travel with someone for 6months and you are already fighting at the start of the trip.I hope this is not a mental health problem like depression.I do not feel this is a robbery with his c.cards not being used.Could be either an accident or suicide.I wonder where his belongings were found?Near water?

I had not read where they found his belongings, do you happen to have a link? Thank you in advance

ETA...I found it....just being blind as bat as per the usual. This is very concerning, didn't his travel companion say he was going for coffee? I wonder if the footage shows his companion at Airport for hours searching as he alleges. IMHO

I think they had been traveling for some time at this point.

"The two mates, who met while working in Kalgoorlie, were part way through a six-month adventure that had already taken them to Thailand and then South America."

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...e/news-story/8958ba5156867c53f05e7026fbc7ee5d

I hope he's okay and contacts his family soon. Rio can be a dangerous place.

He sure does not look like a typical Australian - seems he speaks spanish. I am intrigued!! In the photos he looks like about 3 different people. The last few taken he appears thinner. I am afraid this is going to be a real eye opener. Thanks for reading JMO

Wow- this is concerning. You would think that as close as it is to the Olympic Games, that there should be cameras any/everywhere he might have gone.

And I'm guessing that the two of them never actually purchased tickets? That's how i read the story

He left the airport in a taxi. It doesn't sound like these guys were lifelong friends, more recent acquaintances. I wonder if one of them did not have the funds to finance their part of the trip or blew money on partying and this caused a rift between them? Or did Mr. Hunt meet a girl or go to party elsewhere? Perhaps he just wanted to dump his traveling companion? So hard to know what is in someone's mind. Hope they both return home safely.

Rye Hunt: Family may hire private investigator for man missing in Rio
May 30, 2016

Snipped...
...Brazilian police have recovered some of Mr Hunt's belongings, including his camera, laptop, and backpack.

Ms Brodribb said the family had not been told where those items were found.

"We asked DFAT around 24 hours ago for a list because we're very curious to know, especially, whether his iPhone, his wallet and his passport were found," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-30/rye-hunt-uncle-partner-fly-to-rio-to-join-search/7458156

Rye Hunt: apartment owner questioned after Australian man goes missing in Brazil
May 30, 2016

Snipped...
...Missing Australian man Rye Hunt booked into an apartment in Copacabana after leaving Rio airport 10 days ago, his family has revealed.

Hunt checked into the room one hour after leaving Galeão international airport at about 2.30pm on 21 May.

“At approximately 6.20pm Rye left the apartment leaving a number of personal items in the room including a laptop, travel bags, a camera and a number of other items,” his family said in a statement on Tuesday.

...Hunt’s family also revealed an item was bought on the 25-year-old’s bank card a few minutes after he left the apartment in Brazil’s beach district.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-after-australian-man-goes-missing-in-brazil

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back