862 users online (113 members and 749 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1002
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,159

    Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

    This story makes me sick to my stomach. This child had to breech a LOT of barriers to get into this cage, and now the rare young male gorilla is killed.

    I don't blame the zoo, what could they do when this child who was clearly unsupervised and insisted on breeching barriers went into the cage while the parents did nothing?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    This story makes me sick to my stomach. This child had to breech a LOT of barriers to get into this cage, and now the rare young male gorilla is killed.

    I don't blame the zoo, what could they do when this child who was clearly unsupervised and insisted on breeching barriers went into the cage while the parents did nothing?

    I was just at this zoo last week, and I'm familiar with the enclosure, and I knew he didn't fall in. I'm upset about this too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,159
    Thanks, Angiebla. I'm really upset. Maybe I should just stop it at that. I am not sure I agree that a very endangered and rare gorilla should be shot and killed because a completely unsupervised child wandered into his cage. The endangered and rare gorilla is held captive, for our personal pleasure, and this kid breeches all barriers and now the captive gorilla is shot for being in the same enclosure.

    I REALLY hope the family feels the need to give back, in an enormous way, for the loss of this male gorilla, because they were nowhere to be found when their child breeched 3 barriers to get into the enclosure.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,905
    I'm frustrated too but apparently the gorilla was hurting the boy and a tranquilizer shot would've taken several minutes to take effect. I understand why they had to do it but it never should've happened to begin with

    First responders "witnessed a gorilla who was violently dragging and throwing the child," Cincinnati Fire Department Chief Marc Monahan wrote in a statement.

    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...losure-n582211

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Outside Houston, TX
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    Thanks, Angiebla. I'm really upset. Maybe I should just stop it at that. I am not sure I agree that a very endangered and rare gorilla should be shot and killed because a completely unsupervised child wandered into his cage. The endangered and rare gorilla is held captive, for our personal pleasure, and this kid breeches all barriers and now the captive gorilla is shot for being in the same enclosure.

    I REALLY hope the family feels the need to give back, in an enormous way, for the loss of this male gorilla, because they were nowhere to be found when their child breeched 3 barriers to get into the enclosure.
    I was just commenting to my wife that in today's society this/these parent(s) are probably lining up lawyers to sue the zoo or the gorilla handlers or the architects of the enclosure or all of the above. While those responsible for the child should be taking a good look in the mirror, they will blame the gorilla or anyone else that comes to mind, much the same as my nine year old and most of our society. Okay, my rant is over.
    Last edited by dvhahn; 05-28-2016 at 11:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by dvhahn View Post
    I was just commenting to my wife that in today's society this/these parent(s) are probably lining up lawyers to sue the zoo or the gorilla handlers or the architects of the enclosure or all of the above. While those responsible for the child should be taking a good look in the mirror, they will blame the gorilla or anyone else that comes to mind, much the same as my nine year old and most of our society. Okay, my rant is over. Those of us on WS are excluded from my comments.
    I hope the zoo sues them for the death of an endangered animal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    718
    Poor gorilla. Stupid parents.

    Another animal dead because of people wanting "entertainment".
    .Find William, Kyron and all the other missing children. Thinking of the families


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,032
    Quote Originally Posted by MzOpinion8d View Post
    I hope the zoo sues them for the death of an endangered animal.
    I'll cosign this. I think it's about time that the "parents" in these situations are held financially responsible.

    Not only for the loss of the animals life, but for the trauma the staff went through for having to kill the Gorilla. I am sure it was very hard for them to do.
    Justice for Trayvon

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,227
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    This story makes me sick to my stomach. This child had to breech a LOT of barriers to get into this cage, and now the rare young male gorilla is killed.

    I don't blame the zoo, what could they do when this child who was clearly unsupervised and insisted on breeching barriers went into the cage while the parents did nothing?
    I blame the zoo. No way they should have an enclosure that a child could enter. Totally negligent.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Coos Bay, Oregon
    Posts
    2,586
    Well, zoos suck. If this isn't proof I don’t know what is. The zoo failed to protect their guests, they failed to protect the animals. They are 100% incompetent.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,015
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    Thanks, Angiebla. I'm really upset. Maybe I should just stop it at that. I am not sure I agree that a very endangered and rare gorilla should be shot and killed because a completely unsupervised child wandered into his cage. The endangered and rare gorilla is held captive, for our personal pleasure, and this kid breeches all barriers and now the captive gorilla is shot for being in the same enclosure.

    I REALLY hope the family feels the need to give back, in an enormous way, for the loss of this male gorilla, because they were nowhere to be found when their child breeched 3 barriers to get into the enclosure.
    I agree. The child should have been supervised. I'd like to know how the child could have possibly found a way into an enclosure though. Perhaps we will get more information in time.

    Many of the endangered animals that are in zoo's today are part of breeding programs geared towards saving the species. The destruction of their habitat in the wild coupled with poachers makes it very hard for many species to survive. Had our California Condors not been placed in captivity as part of a breeding program they may be gone today. MOO

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,047
    Can someone point me to a report that gives more info about what happened? I will say that while there are many neglectful parents I once had an expericence with my nephew at the National Zoo (DC) where he almost got over a fence with the Flamingo's.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    I blame the zoo. No way they should have an enclosure that a child could enter. Totally negligent.
    Well, parents could let their kids to crawl on the road then I suppose roads should be completely enclosed? A young child could get into a lot of trouble if not properly supervised.
    Just my opinion

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,047
    I don't know the full story or about the parents.....I made mistakes as a parent and I wouldn't want to be summarily judged for a mistake that would change my life. I just want to know more. I am not a zoo fan but they do save dying species.......IMO if it is a "rogue" child vs an Ape......really what choice, no matter how sad. I am gonna duck now.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    I'm frustrated too but apparently the gorilla was hurting the boy and a tranquilizer shot would've taken several minutes to take effect. I understand why they had to do it but it never should've happened to begin with

    First responders "witnessed a gorilla who was violently dragging and throwing the child," Cincinnati Fire Department Chief Marc Monahan wrote in a statement.

    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...losure-n582211
    Sounds like gorilla was just agitated.
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. OH OH - Reginald Jones, 35, Cincinnati, 19 Sept 2016
    By Gardener1850 in forum Missing Persons Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2016, 12:39 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 04:04 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-15-2016, 12:35 AM
  4. OH OH - Brittany Kidd, 26, Cincinnati, 13 March 2016
    By los2188 in forum Missing Persons Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 12:15 AM
  5. Canada - Hoarder/Ken Kreton collected child porn, wanted to buy a cage
    By Missizzy in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-29-2015, 03:55 PM