OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
Ohio Shooting: Latest on Pike County murders
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio — No arrests have been made in the shooting investigation of eight execution-style killings of members of the Rhoden family last month in Pike County, Ohio.

[...]

The latest in the investigation in Pike County was that vehicles were towed on Tuesday from the various crime scenes as evidence, confirmed Jill Del Greco, a spokeswoman for the Attorney General.
There’s been no word on how many vehicles were being towed away or where they were taken

Ohio family massacre highlights rural region’s ties to illegal drugs
POSTED 6:00 PM, MAY 1, 2016, BY CNNWIRE

23-pike-county-mass-shooting.w529.h352.jpg

link

The gruesome slayings have rattled this southeast corner of Appalachian Ohio, a region that culturally identifies more closely with neighboring Kentucky and West Virginia than the state’s northern cities. As U.S. 23 leads away from Columbus, business parks and strip malls give way to lush stretches of farmland dotted with old farmhouses and rusted silos. Farther south into the Appalachian foothills, churches, pickup trucks and Confederate flags become more common.

[...]

Adding to the shock was the discovery of hundreds of illegal marijuana plants on Rhoden’s property, highlighting the region’s dependency on the illegal drug trade as jobs in agriculture and timber have dried up.

Audio 911 Calls

PRESSER: APRIL 27, 2016

MOD NOTE: Tricia has given permission for sleuths to discuss the criminal records of the family members who were murdered. In light of the grow operations they may be very relevant. Please refrain from posting criminal histories of other individuals who have not been named persons of interest or suspects by LE or simply because they have the last name of the victims or may be a distant cousin or aunt. Stick with the victims for now. That may change as more develops on this case.

MOD NOTE: Please don't speculate about the current custody of the minor children who were left alive. It is a blessing they are alive. If posting snips from articles regarding the children please redact their names. These babes are innocents. one day they will google their names. And plenty will come up. Thanks.

MOD NOTE: DO NOT SLEUTH STILL LIVING FAMILY MEMBERS' FACEBOOK PAGES AND POST ABOUT IT HERE. Just don't mention it. Period.

Rules Etiquette & Information

CASE NOTES (courtesy of cujenn81) this link contains locations, distance, victim info, relationships and more.

MEDIA LINKS NO DISCUSSION

CASE MAP (courtesy of K.L.Puyallup)

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16

Victims
Rhodens-all-2.jpg

link:rose:

From left, top row: Christopher Rhoden Jr., Christopher Rhoden Sr., Dana Rhoden, Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden; bottom row: Hanna Rhoden, Hannah Gilley, Kenneth Rhoden, Gary Rhoden

So in the new article it states some had soft tissue bruising meaning not just CR1. IMO this points to more than just 1 fighting back and being awake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In answer about the mail boxes being down. I'm sure that was to get the mobile homes out on the road.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-lookback.html

The ride-along part of the video gives better perspective as to just how far away DR's house was from CRsr/FRs trailers. There is no way that killing everyone at DRs was done because they could have seen or heard the actual murders of CRsr/GR/FR/HG - they are just too far away for that to be necessary.

So either DR/CRjr/HR were killed because on or more of them knew who had been with CRsr that night, or they knew enough to point the finger at the killer, or they were somehow involved in whatever was the motivation for the killing (either in reality or in the mind of the killer). And just like with KR, it does indicate that the killer was familiar enough with the family to know who lived where, especially since housing arrangements had recently changed for several family members.

I do think that FR/HG could possibly have been killed simply due to their proximity to CRsr/GR or vice versa.

Traveling a mile to DRs house is not that much different than going over to KRs. It had to be a deliberate move, not just a case of 'wrong place, wrong time'.

BTW, what the heck is the difference between a hilljack and a hillbilly? The mayor uses both terms in this interview and until now I'd never heard of a 'hilljack'.

DS has done three interviews on video that I'm aware of. Odd that only one is still available.
First, the video interview at the church by Daily Mail, where he first details the money scattered on KR's legs. Dailymail only has pics from that interview now.

Second, the interview at the Dogwood Festival, the weekend just after the murders, 1-2 days after..

Third, this one, http://nbc4i.com/2016/05/05/pike-co...-cousins-body-calling-911-on-day-of-massacre/

From his description and head movement, it does sound like he has to gain height in order to see KR's face.

I keep coming back to the part in this last interview where DS says "...and I draped...", then corrects himself saying "ahumm.. raised my head up and looked..."
"Draped"??? Quite a different word than "raised"

Quote messed up ... brought from last thread, first one is mine, the last line is a reply from PDub.

Hate to say why that bugs me, since it's so speculative, but I guess many posts here are.

Could be that he just caught himself misusing the word to describe craning his neck to see over the bed, but that wasn't my first thought. Would be interesting to hear what an expert in body language thinks about that interview.

As an aside... Sounds like he may be tired of repeating that story, either verbally to others or going over it with himself.

Would also be interesting to know how the cell phone signal is at the LF/KR location. Always thought that could be the reason for them going up the road before calling 911. However, that action comes into question if the cell signal is good there. I do know in some places, one cell carrier may have a usable signal, while others do not. They could also have gone looking for a box number since KR had no mailbox according to the 911 call.

The ride-along part of the video gives better perspective as to just how far away DR's house was from CRsr/FRs trailers. There is no way that killing everyone at DRs was done because they could have seen or heard the actual murders of CRsr/GR/FR/HG - they are just too far away for that to be necessary.

So either DR/CRjr/HR were killed because on or more of them knew who had been with CRsr that night, or they knew enough to point the finger at the killer, or they were somehow involved in whatever was the motivation for the killing (either in reality or in the mind of the killer). And just like with KR, it does indicate that the killer was familiar enough with the family to know who lived where, especially since housing arrangements had recently changed for several family members.

I do think that FR/HG could possibly have been killed simply due to their proximity to CRsr/GR or vice versa.

Traveling a mile to DRs house is not that much different than going over to KRs. It had to be a deliberate move, not just a case of 'wrong place, wrong time'.

BTW, what the heck is the difference between a hilljack and a hillbilly? The mayor uses both terms in this interview and until now I'd never heard of a 'hilljack'.

JMO. It's new slang. Hillbilly + Jack of all trades = hilljack.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rixey

JMO. It's new slang. Hillbilly + Jack of all trades = hilljack.

Almost interchangeable with hillbilly, but IMO meant to be more derogatory.

So the killer(s) could have accomplished the crimes in under 2 hours... that's allowing for torture time spent with CRsr... Also, if killer was waiting for DR to get home because she was a "kill the messenger" victim and so, therefore, were her kids, she may have been restrained (soft tissue bruising) while her kids were killed... she could have unwittingly let the perp in.

first time I have seen this. "Hanna’s 4-day-old daughter, (mod snip), was found in the home unharmed"

First post, been following since the "day of".

I am looking for confirmation on something. When the death certificates were made public we were told that CR1 was shot in multiple places. (I think it was the Dispatch). They did not however report that he was the victim that was shot 9 times. I was updating my husband after the article came out and told him that my assumption/educated guess was that he was shot 9 times, but that it hadn't been specified.

Now, in today's Dispatch article, they do specifically state that "He was shot 9 times...".

So.... Has anyone seen any other source stating that CR1 was the victim with 9 gunshot wounds?
Also, are we certain that "gunshot wounds" = "shot"?

I have read so much here and so many articles that I wonder what assumptions I am making vs. what FACTS have been reported. I also wonder if some of the news reporters are doing the same thing.
:scared:

The article today further humanizes a sad situation, but has little that's factually new. I don't particularly care how much an investigation costs. It is what it is. Week six. Either they have their suspects already under scrutiny, or it's going to be a long slog. Hoping in those early first day interviews, detectives swabbed lots of living hands and took clothes and shoes, maybe phones too or at least imaged them. If you don't get it early, you won't get it intact.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rixey

Almost interchangeable with hillbilly, but IMO meant to be more derogatory.

Urban dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hilljack

Seems to be interchangeable with hillbilly, hick, redneck.

Video from Porter Ridge*:

Terry on being a hilljack:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/porter-ridge/videos/terrys-take-on-being-a-hilljack/

Hilljack games:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/porter-ridge/videos/the-hilljack-games/

*Discovery show about hilljacks. Who knew.

The article today further humanizes a sad situation, but has little that's factually new. I don't particularly care how much an investigation costs. It is what it is. Week six. Either they have their suspects already under scrutiny, or it's going to be a long slog. Hoping in those early first day interviews, detectives swabbed lots of living hands and took clothes and shoes, maybe phones too or at least imaged them. If you don't get it early, you won't get it intact.

I'm not much encouraged by the article. On the one hand Reader maintains optimism that there will be an arrest but the costs are becoming prohibitive. Wanda M., sister to the brothers speaks of learning to live with the fact that they may never learn who did this. I hope she is wrong.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

First post, been following since the "day of".

I am looking for confirmation on something. When the death certificates were made public we were told that CR1 was shot in multiple places. (I think it was the Dispatch). They did not however report that he was the victim that was shot 9 times. I was updating my husband after the article came out and told him that my assumption/educated guess was that he was shot 9 times, but that it hadn't been specified.

Now, in today's Dispatch article, they do specifically state that "He was shot 9 times...".

So.... Has anyone seen any other source stating that CR1 was the victim with 9 gunshot wounds?
Also, are we certain that "gunshot wounds" = "shot"?

I have read so much here and so many articles that I wonder what assumptions I am making vs. what FACTS have been reported. I also wonder if some of the news reporters are doing the same thing.
:scared:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/05/29/pike-county-lookback.html

All eight victims had been shot to death, but Chris Sr. took the worst of it. He was shot nine times, and the coroner wrote on the death certificate that it was in the head, torso and an extremity. Kenneth took a single shot to the head. The others were each shot between two and five times in the head. The coroner said some had bruises, too.

Not to be tacky but... Could an "extremity" be a male specific body part? Wondered why they didn't just say arm or leg, etc.?

So the killer(s) could have accomplished the crimes in under 2 hours... that's allowing for torture time spent with CRsr... Also, if killer was waiting for DR to get home because she was a "kill the messenger" victim and so, therefore, were her kids, she may have been restrained (soft tissue bruising) while her kids were killed... she could have unwittingly let the perp in.

I don't think anyone was tortured. I believe our assailant(s) were planning to catch everyone sleeping soundly in their beds. Murder them while sleeping, gather any evidence, and be gone. It just so happened that something went a bit askew at the CR1/GR trailer and possibly at DR's. It most likely didn't phase the primary assailant (if there were more than one) other than to annoy this person a bit. But the assailant had probably figured in something possibly going askew in planning this. Soft tissue bruising is pretty much just a bruise. They could have gotten that from falling when they were shot, but before they died. If there were multiple contusions, blunt force trauma, etc... then I'd be more inclined to believe there was an actual fight or struggle to be free from something. The bruise on FR's eye could very well have just been where he was shot through the eye socket. jmo

I did notice in the new article that it wasn't three grow sites at three different crime scenes now like I've been thinking. It was THREE grow sites at TWO different places....which means one had two hidden somewhere, and at least one of them was indoors and described it as sophisticated. We know Donald Stone said he found some "plants in a tray" in a building at KR's, so there is one. I don't know exactly what the building at KR's looked like, so I'm not sure if he was referring to this one or not. I'm going to assume that CSR had them on his property in one of the many buildings, possibly the garage with that strange separate story in the back of it with the stairs, or maybe in the old house of his dad's that sits on the property? Or, maybe at Dana's....but it seems like she hasn't lived there long enough to set up anything like this. It's hard telling.

Does anyone have a picture of KR's building for reference? I am drawing a blank on whether or not we've seen it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998