1313 users online (316 members and 997 guests)  

Websleuths News

VA - Lollie Winans, 26, & Julie Williams, 24, Shenandoah National Park, 24 May 1996

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...381600361.html

Family and friends of Julie Williams and Lollie Winans are marking a grim anniversary today. It's been 20 years since the women's bodies were found at their campsite along a scenic trail just off Skyline Drive. The women had been bound, their throats slashed.

The couple had been hiking in the park since May 19 but were due to return to summer jobs in Vermont May 28. The 24-year-old Williams' father reported the women missing May 31. Their bodies were discovered the next day.
    http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/c...1f186ae79.html

On Wednesday, the FBI sent out a news release, along with updated posters, asking for help solving the double homicide of Julianne “Julie” Williams and Laura “Lollie” Winans...

Williams, 24, of St. Cloud, Minn., and Winans, 26, of Unity, Maine, had set out on a camping trip with their golden retriever, Taj, in May 1996...

Although the case remains unsolved, there was at least one strong suspect: Darrell David Rice.

Any update of this case? Since there was DNA, it's possible to solve it if they can find the suspect.

Gosh I heard about this case many years ago - wasn't aware that there was a possible perp for a period of time. I hope the DNA can be matched to the POS that committed these awful murders and this case can be solved. It's good to hear that the FBI reviews the case every 90 days.

LE also looked at this case as being linked to the Colonial Parkway murders/missing people. I don't recall is they found any common threads or not.

Colonial Parkway Murders

The FBI did look at what they called "substantial similariities' between the murder of Julie Williams and Lollie Winans in 1996 and that of my sister Cathy Thomas and her girlfriend Becky Dowski, the first of the Colonial Parkway Murders in 1986. There are a lot of similarities, including athletic lesbian couples in their 20's, outdoorswomen, three day weekends, National Parks in Virginia, investigation by National Park Service rangers, binding of the two women, throats cut, no robbery, no sexual assault, bodies left in plain sight. So far, the FBI investigators continue to believe that the murders are not related.

We discuss some of the potential links in this new podcast series Real Crime Profile with retired FBI Profiler Jim Clemente and New Scotland Yard Behavioral Analyst Laura Richards. There are four episodes. Here is the first.

https://art19.com/shows/real-crime-p...3-a29858c28060

Bill Thomas
    Brother of Cathleen Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last edited by billthom56; 09-07-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Additional detail

The murder of Williams and Winans has some similarities to the Colonial Pkwy Murders but there were many differences and they were 200 miles apart. The "lesbian" angle is probably a red herring. In both cases, there is is no indication that sexual orientation was a factor; just women in a vulnerable position.

There is a POI in the Williams-Winans case named Darell Rice who had a history of assaulting women on the highway nearby but he had no known history of attacking women away from the road and there was some unexplained male DNA at the W-W crime scene that did not belong to Rice.

Has Gary Hilton been ruled out in this case?
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge

Reading up on this case I found some very interesting information.

The only forensic evidence that could be found was some male DNA on some thermal underwear (presumably belonging to one of the victims) that was used to bind Williams. It did not belong to Rice.

The defense was prepared to argue that this exonerated Rice. The prosecution believed that there were plenty of ways that some trace DNA could have gotten there but they decided to test two hairs that had been found that might yield DNA through recently developed methods. These hairs, one stuck on the sticky part of the duct tape used to bind one of the women and the other from the inside of a glove too big for either women, had no root attached so regular DNA could not be recovered, but now mitochondrial DNA could be.

Mitochondrial DNA can not be matched through CODIS, you can only compare it to a know donner and it is not unique to each individual, descendants of the same female ancestor will have identical M-DNA.

In this case there was some degradation in both samples but they appeared to be from the donner and only 8% of the US population could be a match. Rice was not in this group. Since the origins of these hairs very likely came from the killer, this pretty much ruled out Rice or at least, made prosecution impossible.

Richard Marc Evonitz was, however, a member of that 8%. He was a serial killer who killed three girls in Northern Virginia 150 miles away in late 1996-early 1997. He committed suicide when he was about to be arrested. His crimes were different but he cannot be ruled out by any means.

I can find no information about the a comparison of his DNA with what was found on the underwear but I would assume it was not a match. Otherwise the issue would be settled.

At this point it is hard to say what we have. People associated with the investigation still think Rice was involved but Evonitz is believed to have committed other murders yet no others close to his known crimes have been identified.

Kemo:

My sister, Cathy Thomas, along with her girlfriend Rebecca Dowski, were the first two victims in the Colonial Parkway Murders. Based on everything we know, I don't think that Richard Evonitz was connected with the Colonial Parkway Murders. The cases are very different-- the Colonial Parkway case involves four couples, one lesbian and three straight, in lovers lane situations. Very different from the crimes that Evonitz was associated with before his death.

I do agree that some killers will modify their techniques over time, and in the interest of being thorough, Evonitz should be checked against the Colonial Parkway Murders, the Julie Williams and Lollie Winans case and the Alicia Showalter Reynolds/Route 29 Stalker case, but it is a real long shot that they are a match.

This story runs in the Richmond Times Dispatch this Sunday, October 9, which is the 30th anniversary of the Colonial Parkway Murders, starting with the death of our sister Cathy Thomas and her friend Rebecca Dowski.

http://video.richmond.com/30-years-a...rders-31478839

There are other stories linked in the Colonial Parkway Murders section.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
    Brother of Cathleen Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA