830 users online (140 members and 690 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Haddix Mulkey, 8 mos, dies of Benadryl OD, Reynoldsburg, 13 May 2016

A heartbroken Katie Mulkey held up a collage of photos of her infant son and told the world that she didn't want this story to be all about the babysitter who Reynoldsburg police arrested on Friday and charged with giving the baby what turned out to be a fatal dose of Benadryl to stop his fussing.

She wants the story to instead be about Haddix and the steps he never got to take, the birthdays he never got to have, the words he never got to say. He was 8 months old on May 13 when, Reynoldsburg police say, babysitter Lori Conley administered an adult dose of the common allergy medicine and it killed him.

Conley, 43, now faces charges of murder and child endangering. She is being held in the Franklin County Jail; she is expected in Franklin County Municipal Court Saturday.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...er-charge.html

HaddixMulkey.jpg

While this is a tragedy I don't consider it to be murder: there was no criminal intent--just ignorance.

I consider it child abuse and manslaughter. She gave a tiny baby medicine which was not needed. She gave him medicine because she was a lazy POS.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

I agree Katydid! It wasn't ignorance as much as it was selfishness and negligence.

Sitter charged in Benadryl death of 8-month-old pleads guilty

http://kron4.com/2017/07/24/sitter-c...pleads-guilty/

Conley plead guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter, endangering a child and tampering with evidence and could receive as much as 17 years in prison.
    Sentencing is currently set for September 5th.

In my opinion she had absolutely no right to give the baby anything.
    She was not the baby's mother - just the babysitter. MOO

Ohio baby sitter gets 15 years in prison for child’s Benadryl death

Lori Conley, 45, was sentenced Tuesday in the 2016 death of Haddix Mulkey. She previously pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, child endangering and tampering with evidence.
    http://www.dispatch.com/news/2017090...adryl-overdose

“What happened that day was out of character for me,” Conley told a Franklin County judge on Tuesday.

Common Pleas Judge Julie M. Lynch wasn’t buying it.

“This court does not believe this was your first time doing this,” Lynch said.
    Katie Mulkey, who has two other children, said her son’s death left her so depressed that she had been unable to function until recently.

“You can’t charge her for a broken heart, but you should,” she told the judge. “Lori killed my son and I’m the one being punished.”

I am pleased the judge saw the situation correctly and gave the homicidal baby sitter an appropriate sentence.