1025 users online (188 members and 837 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,889

    Prostitution in LA

    This story is just so disturbing....
    ~~~

    A few hours after a homeless guy named Virgil died of an overdose in the portable toilet, the blue plastic outhouse at 6th and San Julian streets was back in business. Not as a toilet, but as a house of prostitution.

    Five portable toilets stand at that corner in the darkened heart of skid row.

    T.J. says she sometimes has a customer in each of them — a john in every john — and scurries from one to the next, taking care of business.

    "I run this corner," says the stocky 52-year-old woman, whose initials stand for Thick and Juicy. "I'm the madam, and those are the cathouses."

    T.J., who keeps her wardrobe in one of the outhouses and changes every few hours, is wearing a sheer red top, nothing underneath, and skin-tight black pants. She's bummed a Newport and has it to her lips, but can't find a light.

    As she speaks, a rat skitters up from the sewer and through a grate, past a discarded brassiere, a smooshed apple and an empty bag of Fritos. Rats run into, under and around the portable toilets with a brazen sense of entitlement, as comfortable as house pets.

    Sights like this are common on L.A.'s skid row, a rock-bottom depository and national embarrassment. A place where disease, abuse, crime and hard-luck misery are on public display and have been for years, conveniently out of sight and mind for most Angelenos. No matter how many times I go in, I come out shocked all over again.

    A couple walk past the 6th and Julian toilets now, pulling shirts up over their noses to block the stench. At times, the toilets are actually used for their intended purpose, and the unspeakable odor that envelops the corner is toxic enough to buckle your legs.

    More if you are interested

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    806
    I have been to LA many times and have never seen this area.
    It sounds pretty gross.

    Perosnally, I feel that we should legalize prostitution
    and keep it safe and have them pay taxes.

    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but since it's going to happen
    anyway, why not make it safer?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    I have been to LA many times and have never seen this area.
    It sounds pretty gross.

    Perosnally, I feel that we should legalize prostitution
    and keep it safe and have them pay taxes.

    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but since it's going to happen
    anyway, why not make it safer?
    I agree with you. After all it's been called the oldest profession in the world. Why not legalize it? Heck, might be the answer to the deficit problem! Imagine that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711
    I agree..

    I don't understand why in this day and age if two consenting adults wish to persue these venues for money who it hurts??

    Regulated ... their are tests for STD's further protecting society.

    The illegal crack whores will not be participating making society have to recognize that problem and address it.

    I know that womens rights groups often fight this but IMO they are not helping.
    These women are then left to deal with pimps and porta potties and all the while fearing the cops will bust them, if not a serial killer will get them.
    I always wondered who Heidi Fleiss and the Mayfair Madame were hurting??
    They sold a product and obviously people bought it.

    DO tax dollars really need to fight this??
    The only arguement is a moral one and IMO its up to the adults involved if their morals dictate it or not..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,441

    Smile

    I think the only reason prositution is not legalized is because it can't be regulated like tobacco or alchohol. The government can trace where those come from because it involves some degree of processing and they have big money lobbyists. Anybody can be a prostitute, and keep a full time legitamite job (for tax purposes, hehe). I'm sooo sure those that are doing it are going to get registered and pay TAXES for their "work". It's a business operation until they get busted. I don't see how it can be regulated anyway. It's all about supply and demand, men and women. It surely won't make a difference in the divorce rate, the war on crime, the war on drugs, or the war in Iraq if it's legalized. And I really don't think it contributes to the AIDS crisis. Prostitutes pretty much are advocates of safe sex from what I know. I don't know any welders that don't wear protection, or any other trade that doesn't have safety gear relative to their profession.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    I have been to LA many times and have never seen this area.
    It sounds pretty gross.

    Perosnally, I feel that we should legalize prostitution
    and keep it safe and have them pay taxes.

    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but since it's going to happen
    anyway, why not make it safer?

    I agree with you 100%

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    I think the only reason prositution is not legalized is because it can't be regulated like tobacco or alchohol. The government can trace where those come from because it involves some degree of processing and they have big money lobbyists. Anybody can be a prostitute, and keep a full time legitamite job (for tax purposes, hehe). I'm sooo sure those that are doing it are going to get registered and pay TAXES for their "work". It's a business operation until they get busted. I don't see how it can be regulated anyway. It's all about supply and demand, men and women. It surely won't make a difference in the divorce rate, the war on crime, the war on drugs, or the war in Iraq if it's legalized. And I really don't think it contributes to the AIDS crisis. Prostitutes pretty much are advocates of safe sex from what I know. I don't know any welders that don't wear protection, or any other trade that doesn't have safety gear relative to their profession.

    They found a way to regulate it in Nevada. Sure, there are going to be the prostitutes who, for whatever reason, stay out of the "mainstream." However, I would think that if it were legal, people paying for sex would much rather visit a prostitute who they knew had a regular check up and didn't have any STDs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,682
    I can just imagine the look on George Bush's face, you know the god fearing, bible thumping, ultra right wing George Bush who wants to mandate the "moral fiber" of the USA if one of the people in his Government came to him and said:

    Let's legalize prostution.....so we can get more taxes to pay for War, natural diasters etc.

    I can just imagine............

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I agree with you 100%
    I disagree with this 100%. It is disgusting.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    I can just imagine the look on George Bush's face, you know the god fearing, bible thumping, ultra right wing George Bush who wants to mandate the "moral fiber" of the USA if one of the people in his Government came to him and said:

    Let's legalize prostution.....so we can get more taxes to pay for War, natural diasters etc.

    I can just imagine............


    LOL...I would want to be there to see his face for that.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SO CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    They found a way to regulate it in Nevada. Sure, there are going to be the prostitutes who, for whatever reason, stay out of the "mainstream." However, I would think that if it were legal, people paying for sex would much rather visit a prostitute who they knew had a regular check up and didn't have any STDs.
    They sure did Jeana. I knew it wasn't legal everywhere in Nevada, but I thought this was interesting reading.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada#The_legal_brothels


    Nevada is unique among the U.S. states in that it allows some legal prostitution: in most of its counties, brothels are legalized and heavily regulated.

    SNIP:
    Under Nevada law, any county with a population of less than 400,000 is allowed to license brothels if it so chooses (NRS 244.345). As of January 2005, Clark County (which contains Las Vegas) is the only county in Nevada with a population of over 400,000, but Washoe County will soon reach that point as well [1]. Incorporated towns and cities in counties that allow prostitution may regulate the trade further or prohibit it altogether.

    As of July 2004, brothels are illegal in Carson City, Douglas County, Lincoln County, and Washoe County. Eureka County neither permits nor prohibits brothels and does not have any. The other 11 counties permit licensed brothels in certain specified areas or cities.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SO CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    11,332
    SNIPPED TO SHORTEN POST:
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    This story is just so disturbing....
    From your thread title I at first thought you were speaking of Louisana (LA) until I read your post............

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    I have been to LA many times and have never seen this area.
    It sounds pretty gross.

    Perosnally, I feel that we should legalize prostitution
    and keep it safe and have them pay taxes.

    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but since it's going to happen
    anyway, why not make it safer?
    I'm not so sure you are in the minority..it is, after all, the oldest profession. I despise seeing or hearing of this gutter crap, be it from Jimmy Swagard(preacher delux)who got caught with a $20.00 hooker.. or Hugh Grant(english actor married to Miss too beautiful Liz Hurley)who was found getting a quickie from "marvin hagler with a wig" in LA..I agree...keep it safe and pay taxes!!!!To each his own...mpi

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,594
    I wonder how those who favor legalizing prostitution would feel if their daughters chose this as a legal profession.
    Anyway the following article points out some excellent reasons for not legalizing.

    http://www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca/i...egalizing.html[URL]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,403

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    I can just imagine the look on George Bush's face, you know the god fearing, bible thumping, ultra right wing George Bush who wants to mandate the "moral fiber" of the USA if one of the people in his Government came to him and said:

    Let's legalize prostution.....so we can get more taxes to pay for War, natural diasters etc.


    I can just imagine............
    ????
    How did this thread wind up in the Political Pavilion? That's weird!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Dems claim GW will cause more prostitution
    By TrackerSam in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM
  2. CA - Pasadena Prostitution Ring
    By songline in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 03:24 PM
  3. HS Principal Arrested for Prostitution
    By Pandora in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 02:29 AM