947 users online (82 members and 865 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Speculation -- I'm guessing she tampered with the business records and forged checks, then decided if and when she was caught she'd use the drug on her employer/boyfriend's mother. She ordered the drug months before and she was still working there, so she wasn't caught yet, then her boss found out and was going to tell the whole family or call the police. Such drastic measures though? And she tries to frame the son!

I wonder if she meant to actually kill her employer or just drug her into sickness and confusion, but gave her too high a dose. It's hard to believe this young woman who got such good grades in school and was close to the family and business could be so cold-hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    colchicine (Wiki)
    Sounds like a particularly painful death.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Me View Post
    Speculation -- I'm guessing she tampered with the business records and forged checks, then decided if and when she was caught she'd use the drug on her employer/boyfriend's mother. She ordered the drug months before and she was still working there, so she wasn't caught yet, then her boss found out and was going to tell the whole family or call the police. Such drastic measures though? And she tries to frame the son!

I wonder if she meant to actually kill her employer or just drug her into sickness and confusion, but gave her too high a dose. It's hard to believe this young woman who got such good grades in school and was close to the family and business could be so cold-hearted.
    Unfortunately, good grades are unrelated to morals and character, as are good looks.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Here's what she wrote the day after poisoning the woman who was her employer and boyfriend's mother. The family included her in the obituary!

Conley talked about Mary Louis Yoder on July 23, 2015 on her Facebook:

"Yesterday was so sudden. You truly were a positive light in the world and I'm so lucky and thankful our lives crossed paths. There wasn't a day I didn't look forward to work with you.

"You taught me so much and had such a profound impact on my life. Everyone appreciated your attention, stories, and laughter. We will remember you for your light, energy, and strength, and the best way I can think to honor your life is to emulate your genuine, cheerful, and kind spirit.

"You will be sorely missed and lovingly remembered. God has gained the best angel. We love you,'' she said.

Conley went on to say of Yoder: "She's really special to have touched so many lives so deeply. I could write a book on her and still have more to say! I'm so blessed I carry her memory."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/utica/...f_poisoni.html

The terms [of the plea bargain] are not available.
    http://www.cnyhomepage.com/news/kait...nley-pre-trial

Terms this early? The case must be weak. Thoughts?

There's no mention of what the plea deal offers her. How much time in prison will she get? Will she do seven, ten, twenty years? Gee, there must be enough evidence to prove she poisoned her employer! Are there other reasons, other than a weak case, to offer a plea deal right off like this?

Does the victim's family have to agree or okay a plea deal to the person who killed their loved one?

MOO, I find this case extremely disturbing because this young woman, while accepted as a part of the family and worked closely with the doctor, was tampering with the finances of the business and then decided to poison a woman she described as being wonderful. It seems so devious and evil.

A very interesting plea offer, regardless of terms. To allow bargaining in a heinous crime like this must indicate a flawed case.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    http://www.cnyhomepage.com/news/kait...nley-pre-trial

Terms this early? The case must be weak. Thoughts?
    http://www.wktv.com/news/crime/Bail_..._employer.html

In this article the prosecutor herself says the evidence is circumstantial...though she also says it is "overwhelming."

I wonder which "concerned relatives" contacted the police months after Dr. Yoder's death and what they said. Were they pointing fingers in a specific direction? Or just pushing for further inquiry into the cause of death. Speaking of which, at what point did they determine it was colchicine poisoning? One of the articles previously posted said it wasn't something doctors would routinely screen for--I would have thought that months after her death it might be difficult to check on this.

Quote Originally Posted by radiator View Post
    http://www.wktv.com/news/crime/Bail_..._employer.html

In this article the prosecutor herself says the evidence is circumstantial...though she also says it is "overwhelming."

I wonder which "concerned relatives" contacted the police months after Dr. Yoder's death and what they said. Were they pointing fingers in a specific direction? Or just pushing for further inquiry into the cause of death. Speaking of which, at what point did they determine it was colchicine poisoning? One of the articles previously posted said it wasn't something doctors would routinely screen for--I would have thought that months after her death it might be difficult to check on this.
    Maybe they found it through a hair test?

Quote Originally Posted by ZooSleuth View Post
    Maybe they found it through a hair test?
    I don't think the poison would show up in a hair test because it was believed to be only one fatal dose. She died quickly and unexpectedly. I'd guess a lot of lab tests were done at the time. Seems like once the family pushed for more answers and the RX was found for the colchicine more tests were run months later. I don't know if they had to exhume the body to test further. I feel sorry for her family having to deal with their suspicions, and the gf trying to frame the victim's son.

Conley is accused of poisoning Yoder, 60, with colchicine, a drug sometimes used to treat gout, he said. Deputies said she was given a single deadly dose.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/utica/...f_poisoni.html

I'm guessing they can pin acquisition of the drug on her, but motive and especially connection to the act of administering the substance is weak.

The motive isn't so much a problem because we know this young lady tampered with the business finances and forged some checks. Her employer might have recently discovered this and lost her life before she could tell what this sneaky sneak had done. Of course, that is MOO, but before arriving at a motive they definitely have to prove she actually administered a poisonous dose to her boss.

I do agree that the weak part in this investigation, and an eventual conviction, may be the lack of evidence proving if and how the fatal dose of the drug was administered to the victim. From everything I've read on this case so far, they can prove she ordered and acquired the substance, but they don't seem to be able to prove how and if she administered the drug to the victim. (There's no evidence video showing her making the victim a lovely cup of tea.)

Oh-oh, this has me worried she'll wiggle out of this.

We know what she's been charged with doing, but not yet what she did.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast