1402 users online (272 members and 1130 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks. The word "vehemently" does cause me some hesitation. I wonder what they have as evidence to prove she actually administered the Colchicine to her boss.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...s_innocen.html

Conley's lawyer, Christopher Pelli, said his client turned down the offer to plead guilty to second-degree murder with a sentence of 17 years to life. Conley, 23, of Sauquoit "vehemently maintains her innocence," Pelli said.
    "A tentative trial date has been set for Oct. 17, Oneida County court officials said."

She ordered the drug, but never heard of the drug. Well, I'm just curious -- How's her attorney going to argue that she didn't order the drug? Then, coincidentally, her boss dies from that particular drug.

... Conley reportedly wrote a Letter of Intent in January 2015 to “ArtChemicals and/or Spectrum Chemicals” to purchase colchicine.

The Onondaga County Medical Examiner’s Office determined Yoder’s cause of death was a result of colchicine toxicity, officials said. Colchicine is a drug used to treat gout. It has common side effects of diarrhea, nausea or vomiting and stomach pain.

In a court document obtained by the Observer-Dispatch through a Freedom of Information Act request from the Oneida County District Attorney’s Office, Conley reportedly “never heard” of colchicine and asked law enforcement to spell out the word when questioned in December 2015 by the Sheriff’s Office.

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20160718...nes-plea-offer

Interesting case. I haven't looked the drug up for toxic levels, but as an anti-inflammatory one would think it would take some sort of a whopping dose to kill a person. BUT if the woman was already taking the drug regularly for gout, she may have already had a high blood level of it. So then it would not take that much more to get up to a toxic level.

Ahh, but how do you get someone to ingest a lethal dose?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked View Post
    Interesting case. I haven't looked the drug up for toxic levels, but as an anti-inflammatory one would think it would take some sort of a whopping dose to kill a person. BUT if the woman was already taking the drug regularly for gout, she may have already had a high blood level of it. So then it would not take that much more to get up to a toxic level.
    This is my area of expertise, so I may able to be of some help here I have a few other thoughts to add also, but need to find some linkable sources to support my ideas.

TOXICOKINETICS:

Colchicine is readily absorbed after oral administration, but undergoes extensive first-pass metabolism. It is widely distributed and binds to intracellular elements. Colchicine is primarily metabolized by the liver, undergoes significant enterohepatic re-circulation, and is also excreted by the kidneys. THERAPEUTIC AND TOXIC DOSES: The usual adult oral doses for FMF is 1.2-2.4 mg/day; in acute gout 1.2 mg/day and for gout prophylaxis 0.5-0.6 mg/day three to four times a week. High fatality rate was reported after acute ingestions exceeding 0.5 mg/kg. The lowest reported lethal doses of oral colchicine are 7-26 mg.
    bbm
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20586571
    Last edited by KayElJay; 07-18-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo

Hmm...binds to intracellular elements and metabolized by the liver. I'm not sure if Dr. Yoder ever took the drug for a gout condition. I'm also not sure if they found it at the time of autopsy or later. I'll repost some news quotes below that I find interesting trying to put this all together.

Colchicine is commonly used to treat gout. Investigators say Conley obtained it legally, in purer form they referred to as, 'research grade'. They wouldn't say how they believe Conley administered the drug to Yoder.

http://www.wktv.com/news/Bail_set_at....BYxW0JF5.dpuf
    Conley is accused of poisoning Yoder, 60, with colchicine, a drug sometimes used to treat gout, he said. Deputies said she was given a single deadly dose.
    http://www.newyorkupstate.com/utica/...f_poisoni.html

Lisi added that Conley planned her boss's murder for 10 months, and that the 23-year-old tried to blame one of Yoder's own family members.

"It is also the people's position that the evidence will show that Kaitlyn Conley deliberately attempted to frame Mary Yoder's son, Adam Yoder, for this heinous crime."
    http://www.wktv.com/news/crime/Bail_..._employer.html

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked View Post

Ahh, but how do you get someone to ingest a lethal dose?
    I'm envisioning KC baking some delicious chocolate brownies and bringing them into the office. In one of the brownies, she ... never mind.

Okay, so she made some delicious muffins and brought them into the office to have with their morning coffee.

In a bowl, she mixed the muffin batter. In a separate bowl, she spooned out enough batter for 1 muffin, setting it aside. Using a 6-muffin pan, she spooned the rest of the batter into 5 of the muffin cups, leaving the 6th one empty. She baked the 5 muffins.

Into the batter that was set aside, she stirred some crushed poison tablets. She baked this muffin, #6, separately, so as not to get it mixed up with the "good" ones. She placed them on a serving plate, in a pyramid formation, with the poisoned muffin by itself on the very top. She securely covered the muffins and plate with plastic wrap.
    When she got to work, she offered her boss the first muffin off the top, and she took one of the remaining "poison-free" muffins.

Or, if she was afraid that the boss wouldn't pick the poison-laced muffin, maybe she just wrapped up the poisoned muffin, and another "good" muffin, in saran wrap, and pretended that she had bought them on the way to work. That way she could hand her boss the muffin she wanted her to eat. And if she didn't eat it right away, she would probably have eaten it later that morning.

To make a long story short, she could have introduced the poison:

1. Into baked goods.
    2. Into a sandwich, such as chicken salad, that she picked up at lunchtime for her boss.
    3. If the poison was tasteless, or not easily detected, she could have stirred some crushed tablets into her boss' coffee or tea.

(All of the above are just my ruminations.)
    You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes ... you have to hold his head under

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    "She is scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 28 for a hearing to examine the statements she allegedly made to law enforcement."

"The trial date for Oct. 17. She remains free on bail."

Utica Observer-Dispatch:

Conley defense: Victim's husband did it
    The defense attorney representing a Sauquoit woman accused of fatally poisoning her
    employer offered a new suspect in recently filed court documents: the victim's husband.

The rest at link above.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Utica Observer-Dispatch:

Conley defense: Victim's husband did it
    The defense attorney representing a Sauquoit woman accused of fatally poisoning her
    employer offered a new suspect in recently filed court documents: the victim's husband.

The rest at link above.
    Thanks for the latest on this case.

WOW, I say it's worth considering. Imagine if this young women is on trial and had nothing to do with her employer's death! Apparently, the husband began dating the victim's sister at some point, maybe before his wife died. Best to look into these allegations.

William Yoder's phone records, texts and GPS data from the time of his wife's death to present; and the same phone records from Kathleen Richmond, a sister of the victim, from Jan. 30, 2015, to Sept. 30, 2015.
    The defense contends that Dr. William Yoder poisoned his wife on or about July 20, 2015, and that he had not only the means and opportunity but the motive as well," Pelli wrote.
    Hmm...The husband may have had gout and used colchicine.

In the motion, Pelli alleges that one of Mary Louise Yoder's patients claimed she overheard the victim say that her husband had gout during a medical visit on July 20, 2015, just two days before her death. It's something that could provide an alternate source of colchicine, the drug authorities believe was used to kill Yoder, Pelli argues in the document.
    "I just want to impress on everybody that Today is Jan. 10 and we're supposed to start this trial - we are going to start this trial - on Feb. 27 so we need to move quickly," he said.
    http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170110...husband-did-it

There was a delay, but she's still being put on trial. Gosh, did she purposely set out to kill her employer? It's hard for me to imagine a pressing enough motive for her to do so. It's quite an intriguing case.

The trial is scheduled to start April 24...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._her_boss.html

Utica Observer Dispatch:

Did Kaitlyn Conley poison her boss? Homicide trial starts today

---
    While investigating the case, deputies and the Onondaga County Medical Examiner’s Office began receiving anonymous letters purporting to have information about the case.

The letters claimed that Mary Yoder’s youngest child, Adam Yoder, was a person of interest and alleged that the murder weapon — a bottle of colchicine — could be found in the man’s vehicle. When investigators found the bottle and other items related to the drug right where the letter said it would be, they came to the conclusion it was planted, according to court proceedings. Adam Yoder was out of the area on July 15, 2015, to visit a family member. He didn’t return until July 22, 2015, the day his mother died.
    ---
    more at the link

Day she died? Still a person of interest then. Would love to watch this trial play out.
    Last edited by wfgodot; 04-24-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Yes, wfgodot, I'd love to watch this trial play out, too.
    Trial of CNY woman accused of poisoning, killing her boss starts today - what you need to know
    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._what_you.html

Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara said Friday he plans to call about 50 witnesses for the prosecution. The first witnesses are expected to testify Wednesday. McNamara said the trial should last two to three weeks.

Laurie Lisi is the lead prosecutor.
    Whoever poisoned Mary Louise Yoder almost got away with it! Which family member contacted the sheriff's office? Although, Kaitlyn "Katie" Conley has admitted to some of the paper trail evidence, I still am not totally convinced of her guilt.

Mary Louise Yoder's death in July 2015 wasn't originally deemed a murder.

Police have said a family member contacted the sheriff's office in October 2015 because they believed the death was suspicious, and in December 2015 Yoder's death was ruled a homicide. Conley was charged in June 2016.

The Oneida County District Attorney's office said during a court hearing in June that Conley tried to frame Adam Yoder, the victim's son and her on-again, off-again boyfriend. At the time of Yoder's death, police said they were friends and not in a romantic relationship.

Conley was close enough to the family that she was listed among the survivors and loved ones in Mary Louise Yoder's obituary.
    Prosecutors have said Conley tried to frame Adam Yoder for the murder. Authorities said they received an anonymous letter which pointed them to find a bottle of cochicine under Adam Yoder's car seat. Police have said Conley later admitted she wrote that letter.
    Conley's defense attorney, Christopher Pelli, has alleged in pre-trial paperwork that Conley is innocent, and that the victim's husband is allegedly the killer, according to the Rome Sentinel.

In that paperwork, the defense argues William Yoder had access to colchicine, and also is alleged to have started a relationship with the victim's sister a few months after his wife's death, the article said.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast