GUILTY UK - MP Jo Cox, 41, fatally shot & stabbed, Birstall, West Yorks, 16 June 2016

flutterby

Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...o-cox-shot-in-west-yorkshire?CMP=share_btn_fb

Jo Cox, the MP for Batley and Spen, is in a critical condition after being shot and stabbed multiple times in her West Yorkshire constituency.

Armed officers responded to the attack near a library in Birstall on Thursday afternoon, and a 52-year-old man was arrested in the area, police confirmed.

They added that the Labour politician had suffered “serious injuries and is in a critical condition”. She has been taken by helicopter to Leeds general infirmary.

Police also confirmed a man in his late 40s to early 50s nearby suffered slight injuries in the incident.

Witnesses said the attack was launched after the MP became involved in an altercation involving two men near her weekly advice surgery. A Labour source confirmed Cox was shot and stabbed after she had concluded the drop-in session for constituents at around 1pm.

Wow. Thinking of her and her family.

Wonder what the motive was? I hope nothing to do with the referendum?

[video=twitter;743443793043722241]https://twitter.com/BBCLookNorth/status/743443793043722241[/video]

arrest.jpg

This is so shocking, isn't it.

I have been following the Guardian Live Blog, which has described some very distressing eyewitness accounts. It is very worrying that this sicko attacked her 'face area'.

They have the culprit in custody, so all that remains is to hope she makes it. Hopefully the fact that she is still hanging onto life is a good sign.

A schoolgirl has told how she saw a man hiding in a cemetery following the shooting of MP Jo Cox.

(...)

A local teenager has told the Mirror how she witnessed a man "looking very suspicious" from her bedroom window around 30 minutes after she heard about the shooting this afternoon.

(...)

"I could hear the helicopter circling overhead.

"About 30 minutes later I was looking out of my bedroom window and I saw a man looking very suspicious.
"He was lying down on the floor between two graves.
"He was wearing a black hoodie and he had binoculars.
"He was only about 50metres away and then he saw me and ran off.
"He fled when he realised I had seen him.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo-cox-shooting-schoolgirl-saw-8210088

OMG, she has passed away from her injuries. This is horrific, her poor family and loved ones.

I'm so shocked. This is just a few miles from me, though she wasn't my local MP I knew about her. My age, young kids, trying to do her best for her community. Apparently the gun was "home made", wtf?! I'm stunned and so sad for her family and friends.

Can't believe she has died. Its all too horrific for words.

How absolutely awful. RIP Jo

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/16/labour-mp-jo-cox-shot-in-west-yorkshire

Police also confirmed a man in his late 40s to early 50s nearby suffered slight injuries in the incident. They are also investigating reports that the suspect shouted “Britain first”, a possible reference to the far-right political party of that name, as he launched the attack.

Police are understood to be talking to at least one witness who claimed to have heard the attacker shout the words, and the motivation for the incident will form part of their inquiry.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the country would be ‘in shock at the horrific murder’ of MP Jo Cox, who was a ‘much loved colleague’.

Witnesses said the 41-year-old was kicked by her attacker as she lay on the floor and that she was shot repeatedly. It’s also believed she was stabbed and dragged along by her hair.

The Batley and Spen MP was airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary and a 52-year-old man has been arrested. The man who was arrested was today locally named as ‘loner’ Tommy Mair.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/16/batley-and-spen-mp-shot-in-birstall-5948867/

This is just so desperately sad. what is the world coming to.

RIP Jo and condolences to her family

The attack was unbelievably brutal, poor lady.

image.jpg
Jo Cox

http://www.cp24.com/world/british-labour-mp-jo-cox-killed-in-shooting-1.2948384
Britain's Press Association news agency quoted eyewitness Hithem Ben Abdallah as saying Cox got involved in a scuffle between two men in Birstall, 200 miles (320 kilometres) north of London.

Abdallah said one of the men was fighting with Cox and then a gun went off twice and "she fell between two cars and I came and saw her bleeding on the floor."

Clarke Rothwell, who runs a nearby cafe, told the BBC he believed Cox had been shot and stabbed multiple times.

"Three times she was shot, the initial time which then she dropped to the floor and two more times," he said. "The third time he got close proximity he shot her around the head area."

"In the meantime he was stabbing her as well. He was stabbing her with his knife."

Shopkeeper Sanjeev Kumar told the BBC said he saw a woman lying on the ground "bleeding from the mouth and nose," with two women trying to help her.

After around 15 minutes, witnesses said emergency services arrived and tended to her with a drip.

Cox, a former worker for international development charities who is married with two young children, was elected to the House of Commons in the May 2015 general election.

She has been one of the most outspoken lawmakers on the subject of the Syrian civil war, and has been critical of Britain's reluctance to deepen its military involvement against the Islamic State group as part of efforts to end it.

Eyewitness Hithem Ben Abdallah, 56, was in the cafe next door to the library shortly after 1pm today when he heard screaming and went outside.

He said: ‘There was a guy who was being very brave and another guy with a white baseball cap who he was trying to control and the man in the baseball cap suddenly pulled a gun from his bag.’

He added: ‘He was fighting with her and wrestling with her and then the gun went off twice and then she fell between two cars and I came and saw her bleeding on the floor.’

According to the Labour Party website she has been ‘involved in working all over the world for charities fighting to tackle poverty, suffering and discrimination. She has worked with Oxfam, Save the Children and the NSPCC both here in the UK and in some of the world’s poorest and most war-torn regions.

‘Jo Cox is national chair of Labour Women’s Network and a senior advisor to the anti-slavery charity, the Freedom Fund.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/16/politicians-react-with-horror-to-jo-cox-mp-shooting-5948868/

Both sides have suspended campaigning in the referendum.

Who is Tommy Mair? The man police arrested after Labour MP Jo Cox was shot

Thomas Mair has been named locally as the man who shot Labour MP Jo Cox

TM.png

Labour MP Jo Cox has died after being shot and stabbed by an attacker on a West Yorkshire street.

According to local reports, the man has been named as 52-year-old Tommy Mair from Birstall.

But who is Tommy Mair? Who is the man police believe carried out the attack? And what could have inspired him?

I have to wonder if he wasn't some loner who got all ginned up on internet drivel connected with the upcoming Euro referendum.

I posted on another board that I fear we in the US are going to see some political assassinations before our own miserable election is over.

I feel sick to my stomach over this. I can't imagine how her husband is coping with their 3 and 5 year old children wondering where mummy is. My heart is breaking.

MOO but imo this is an assassination and an act of terror.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Cox’s husband, Brendan, said after her death was announced: “Today is the beginning of a new chapter in our lives. More difficult, more painful, less joyful, less full of love. I and Jo’s friends and family are going to work every moment of our lives to love and nurture our kids and to fight against the hate that killed Jo.

“Jo believed in a better world and she fought for it every day of her life with an energy and a zest for life that would exhaust most people. She would have wanted two things above all else to happen now – one, that our precious children are bathed in love and two, that we all unite to fight against the hatred that killed her. Hate doesn’t have a creed, race or religion, it is poisonous.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...o-cox-shot-in-west-yorkshire?CMP=share_btn_fb

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back