779 users online (122 members and 657 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Teen charged with raping disabled juvenile inmate at detention center

Juvenile Justice guards allegedly assigned a teen sex offender to bathe and change a severely mentally retarded boy, who police say was then raped by the offender.

Two other teens in the detention center reported they twice saw the disabled boy being raped by 17-year-old Lee Donton, a convicted sex offender. One of the assaults was in a shower area, where Donton was assigned to bathe the boy, and the other in the 15-year-old disabled boy's cell, where Donton was changing the boy's diaper, according to police reports.

Tallahassee police charged Donton with two counts of sexual battery on a child. The Leon County detention center supervisor, Linda Edward-Ellis, was suspended with pay while the Department of Juvenile Justice investigates. Shift supervisor Lt. Don Williams submitted his resignation a week ago, effective Oct. 24, and was fired Thursday.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

What was a disabled child doing in that place? No way should he have been there!!!!! He needed constant supervision imo if he couldn't even go to the toilet by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    What was a disabled child doing in that place? No way should he have been there!!!!! He needed constant supervision imo if he couldn't even go to the toilet by himself.
    In the olden days some states kids that were deemed "incorrigble" were placed in state centers that also include the mentally ill and mentally handicapped. I know someone who had been deemed "incor" during the early 1970s, and that's exactly what they did to him, and other trouble teens. The "punishment" for misbehaving was tending to the vegetative, bed-ridden mental patients, changing their diapers, etc. This was a co-ed facility, and the punished teens were allowed to work unsupervised, and there was a lot of rape/sexual abuse going on. I'm surprised sticking juvenile delinquents in with the mentally retarded/mentally ill is still going on, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    In the olden days some states kids that were deemed "incorrigble" were placed in state centers that also include the mentally ill and mentally handicapped. I know someone who had been deemed "incor" during the early 1970s, and that's exactly what they did to him, and other trouble teens. The "punishment" for misbehaving was tending to the vegetative, bed-ridden mental patients, changing their diapers, etc. This was a co-ed facility, and the punished teens were allowed to work unsupervised, and there was a lot of rape/sexual abuse going on. I'm surprised sticking juvenile delinquents in with the mentally retarded/mentally ill is still going on, though.
    In this day and age I find this unbelievable it still happens and unacceptable. I just feel so sorry that young man had to go through the ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    In this day and age I find this unbelievable it still happens and unacceptable. I just feel so sorry that young man had to go through the ordeal.

More should happen that just someone losing their job. Someone, high up, should answer for this and changes made quickly. That boy should have been in a hospital and the one who raped him should go to prison.

This is hideous. After reading the entire article, I find myself just hoping against hope that maybe as stated toward the end of it, that it may not be true. I won't have it out of my mind today, thats for sure. I am going to find an email addy for every Fla. state rep. I can, and contact them today. There is no excuse whatsoever for a handicapped child, unable to verbalize, or care for himself in any way, being put in such an institution. I am really angry and upset over this. My younger sister has CP, and anything like this absolutely cuts me to the quick and hard, but I hope anyone who hears of a situation like this will try to do something to make their voice heard for those who cannot speak for themselves. I try to avoid actually posting on things this upsetting to me because I get very emotional, and will ramble on and on, but I had to on this one.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/...tors&Submenu=1
    Last edited by tompettyfan; 10-21-2005 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Adding this link I just found:
    My land is bare of chattering folk; the clouds are low along the ridges, and sweet's the air with curly smoke from all my burning bridges. Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by tompettyfan
    This is hideous. After reading the entire article, I find myself just hoping against hope that maybe as stated toward the end of it, that it may not be true. I won't have it out of my mind today, thats for sure. I am going to find an email addy for every Fla. state rep. I can, and contact them today. There is no excuse whatsoever for a handicapped child, unable to verbalize, or care for himself in any way, being put in such an institution. I am really angry and upset over this. My younger sister has CP, and anything like this absolutely cuts me to the quick and hard, but I hope anyone who hears of a situation like this will try to do something to make their voice heard for those who cannot speak for themselves. I try to avoid actually posting on things this upsetting to me because I get very emotional, and will ramble on and on, but I had to on this one.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/...tors&Submenu=1
    Yes the state and the courts should have been PROTECTING this child. Instead they put him in a place of torture and abuse. There are state run facilities for handicapped children and facilities for the criminal juveniles. How they confuse the two by puttig him there??? When you find the addresses please post them. I will DEFINITELY tell them what's on my mind about that case.

You are so right, SadieMae. The link in my last post is for Fl. Senate. I went back to add it after posting, and didn't make it clear. This link is one I found for Fl. Congress members. I'm glad you are going to write.

http://www.ccaflorida.org/updates/co...nal_e-mail.htm
    My land is bare of chattering folk; the clouds are low along the ridges, and sweet's the air with curly smoke from all my burning bridges. Dorothy Parker

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Six juvenile detention center employees were fired and five others disciplined after police said a mentally retarded boy was raped by a sex offender who was allegedly assigned to bathe and change his diaper.

Tallahassee police have charged Lee Donton, 17, with two counts of sexually assaulting the disabled boy, who has a 32 IQ and was 15 at the time.

http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editoria...der=y&ac=-2&ck=