Websleuths mod featured on Vocativ: Meet the man who draws dead bodies

Vail

Justice for Kara & Jessica
Reaction score
Forgive me if this was posted somewhere else but I wanted to share this wonderful story about one of our mods Carl Koppelman who has been featured in Vocativ mag for his work on artist reconstruction.

Carl Koppelman has a morbid hobby—with a noble aim

“Everybody likes a good mystery,” Koppelman says. “I’ve been kind of always been intrigued by mysteries. Unsolved mysteries and crime stories and that sort of thing.”

Koppelman is an accountant by trade but had recently been laid off and was taking care of his ill mother in 2009. He’d become interested in amateur crime-solving websites around this time (he’s a moderator at WebSleuths, one of the largest of such communities), specifically the forums that try to match unidentified bodies to missing persons, not without some success. It’s easier than ever to do this with the internet, and publicly accessible databases that list both missing persons and unidentified people, like NamUs, have helped them give names to bodies found decades ago.

At least one of Koppelman’s drawings has led to the identification of a body, he says. Kenneth Ecker fell or jumped off a Brooklyn apartment building in September 2011, but was still unidentified two months later despite being a height and weight (6’8″ and about 550 pounds) that would make it hard to disappear in a crowd. Koppelman drew an image and posted it in Websleuths, including a photo of a Spider-Man beanie Ecker had been wearing when he was found. One of this friends came across Koppelman’s post on Websleuths by Googling for large men wearing Spider-Man caps and recognized Ecker from Koppelman’s drawing.

http://www.vocativ.com/328851/meet-the-man-who-draws-dead-bodies/

Congrats Carl! Your work is amazing.

I saw this and was so proud! I said "hey, I 'know' this guy!!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea I agree GREAT WORK! I've always been impressed with how good he is. Way to go Carl!

Congratulations, Carl!!! Amazing work helping loved ones find their lost. What a wonderful gift you have and thank you for using it for something so worth while. What a blessing you are!

Congratulations, CarlK!! What great work you do - you are very talented!!

I have always been in awe of your work- thank you!

Carl, you are absolutely amazing. You are truly and angel for what you do for the lost. :tyou::yourock:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back