Cop tickets car-not noticing dead guy inside

Norma

Pook
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1236312

Car Ticketed With Dead Body at the Wheel
Traffic Officer Issues Parking Ticket on Car Without Noticing Dead Driver Slumped at the Wheel

SYDNEY, Australia Oct 21, 2005 — A traffic warden slapped a parking ticket on a car which had its dead driver slumped at the wheel outside an Australian shopping mall, an official said Friday.

The body of the 71-year-old man, whose identity was not immediately released, was discovered Thursday in a parking lot in the southern city of Melbourne, The Age newspaper reported Friday.

The man had been reported missing nine days earlier and was known to be seriously ill, the newspaper said.

Oct 21, 10:38 AM (ET)

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian authorities have apologized to the family of an elderly man who was given a parking ticket while he lay dead in his car in a suburban shopping center.

The 71-year-old man, known to be seriously ill, went missing nine days ago and his body was found in his car in a shopping mall car park in a Melbourne suburb, police said.

A parking ticket had been placed on the car the day before his body was found.

Link

Really strange how *parking* & traffic tickets are issued these days. :confused:

I have been receiving notices from the Courthouse in Gainesville, Florida that I have 182 overtime or improper zone parking tickets over the last 2-3 years. Fines now total well over $800.

The thing is ... I live in the Orlando area and haven't even been up to Gainesville (other than driving through non-stop) in probably 15-20 years. Not my car - not my responsibility - now I'm receiving threats to suspend my license. The bureaucracy & ridiculousness is never-ending. As an aside - I haven't received a traffic or parking ticket of any kind in over 25 years - maybe even 30 years.

Well - I guess, I'm grateful for something. At least, I didn't get a ticket while lying dead in my car. Geesh! Now, that's really bizarre! :banghead:

13th Juror

:banghead: :banghead:

It's always nice to see LE doing a good job for their citizens. :eek:

I take it that the missing elderly are held in high regard by these Police Officer's.
:(

Didn't they look in the car and see the man in there? I can see it now...

"You are gonna have to move this car." No responce. "Ok I am gonna give you a ticket then." :innocent:

13th Juror said:

Really strange how *parking* & traffic tickets are issued these days. :confused:

I have been receiving notices from the Courthouse in Gainesville, Florida that I have 182 overtime or improper zone parking tickets over the last 2-3 years. Fines now total well over $800.

The thing is ... I live in the Orlando area and haven't even been up to Gainesville (other than driving through non-stop) in probably 15-20 years. Not my car - not my responsibility - now I'm receiving threats to suspend my license. The bureaucracy & ridiculousness is never-ending. As an aside - I haven't received a traffic or parking ticket of any kind in over 25 years - maybe even 30 years.

Well - I guess, I'm grateful for something. At least, I didn't get a ticket while lying dead in my car. Geesh! Now, that's really bizarre! :banghead:

13th Juror

And I'm sure the conversations you've had trying to get this resolved are right out of a Carol Burnett skit!!! :dance: You should record some of them and sell the rights to pay the fine.

angelmom said:
And I'm sure the conversations you've had trying to get this resolved are right out of a Carol Burnett skit!!! :dance: You should record some of them and sell the rights to pay the fine.

LOL .. You're so right on, AngelMom! :laugh:

I didn't go into that part of this fiasco, but it's certainly a secondary *comedy of errors*. <lol>

I've called numerous times to a variety of bureaucratic entities - from the Clerk of Court in Gainesville to Div. of Motor Vehicles in Tallahassee & everywhere in between as I am shuffled from one bureaucrat to another - too many to count!

I've sent several letters including a signed & notarized affidavit, proof of my license plates, vehicle registrations, clean driving record and a photocopy of a letter I received from the Gainesville Court clerk stating "their mistake" & it would be cleared up immediately. That letter arrived a year ago - and lo' & behold - I'm still receiving notices every month informing me of the same escalating charges for overtime-parking and other infractions.

Gotta laugh though - it's just another Florida circus! :laugh: (If they arrest me n' throw me in the pokey .. I'll quit laughing in a big hurry!) :banghead:

13th Juror :)

It's an incredibly long story, but I can say I feel for you, 13th. I spent months dealing long distance with the state of Florida's Dept of Motor Vehicles in an attempt to have an incorrect item removed from my husband's Florida driver's license. Their error caused his Michigan license to be suspended and kept him from being able to work for 6 months last year - he's a truck driver. We ended up paying a fine that he didn't owe 3 different times just because there was no other way to fix the problem. The error is still on his record but the state of Michigan, after dealing with Florida, has decided to ignore it.

And I don't even want to get into the child support that he sends to Florida but doesn't get credit for......thousands of dollars.....poof!!

Mabel that really sucks. :(

We have recieved a few tickets in the mail (parking type) for places we have never been! unless our car is Kit from KnightRider and going out by itself
KITT.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back