CA - Anton Yelchin, actor in 'Star Trek' films, dies

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Anton Yelchin, actor in 'Star Trek' films, dies in freak car accident at age 27
kazw4le3ne09kfcfslmi.png

Actor Anton Yelchin, perhaps best known for his role in the new “Star Trek” films, died early Sunday after his vehicle rolled down his Studio City driveway and trapped the actor against a mailbox, authorities confirmed.

Friends went to the 27-year-old actor’s home shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, when he didn’t show up for a rehearsal as expected, LAPD Officer Jenny Houser told The Times. Authorities believe Yelchin’s vehicle rolled backwards down the steep driveway, Houser said, pinning him against a brick mailbox and security gate.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-anton-yelchin-20160619-snap-story.html

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-ac...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

So sorry for his family and friends. Just so young !
Liked him in "Odd Thomas" and the Trek movies. Doesn't seem real.
He portrayed a sensitive soul very well. :(

Goodbye, Anton !

May you rest in eternal peace. :(

I am heartbroken by this. He was one of my favorite actors, we were the same age and I basically grew up with him on my screen. He was immensely talented and had so much to offer. There were awards and accolades in his future, I just know it.

I've been catching up on Twitter and absolutely everyone has something nice to say about him. He was universally loved and respected. I encourage everyone to watch his movies, especially Alpha Dog and Like Crazy. Also his Criminal Minds episode was probably the best I've ever seen.

What a shock for his parents, losing their only son on Father's Day.

RIP Anton.

33d02204eb778f4b0b8194f4ce5459b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so saddened by this. By all accounts he was a great guy. I enjoyed his work. Such a bummer.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Was his Grand Cherokee a 2014 or 2015 model? They were recalled for gearshift problems. I haven't been able to find anything stating what year his car was, just that it's a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Genuinely upset about this. He was a great talent and will be missed. RIP Anton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is so sad. I was so impressed with his acting in Alpha Dog......he was so good in that film. RIP Anton. Gone too soon.

I was an extra with him in the movie Middle of Nowhere, and also watched him in Alpha Dog. Sad that he lost his life so early

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Jeep fires back over death of Star Trek star: Company says it's too early to blame Anton Yelchin's death on his car - despite vehicle safety recall, as actor's distraught father steps out

Yelchin, 27, was found early Sunday morning on his steep driveway

His 2.5-ton Jeep had pinned him to a brick mailbox

The vehicle was in neutral and engine was still running

But Jeep company said it's too early to speculate that the car was faulty

Jeep Cherokees that had a confusing gear stick were recalled in April

The gear stick made it easy for drivers to forget the Jeep was in neutral when they got out the car

Blamed for 212 crashes, 308 property damage claims and 41 injuries

Rising star will next be seen in Star Trek Beyond, out in July

Distraught father Viktor pictured outside LA home, hours after son's death

Floral tributes have started to be placed outside the gates of Anton's home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...traught-father-steps-hours-son-s-tragic-death

Company might say it's too early to blame death on the car-but from the description sure sounds like this was the exact type of problem the recall was for. Drivers had a hard time figuring if the car was in park or in neutral, resulting in cars rolling over when drivers exited the car.

"The problem involves an electronic gearshift, whose operation is similar to that of a video-game joystick. It has confused many drivers, who thought they had left their cars in park, only to find they were in neutral, and started rolling away after the drivers stepped out."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/b...highlights-a-known-issue-with-jeeps.html?_r=0

Tragic. Doesn't sound too early to speculate in my opinion. The Jeep's malfunction seems clear.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin’s death sparks Jeep owners to sue for $5million in class action lawsuit against manufacturer

Lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler prominently mentions Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin, who was killed last weekend by an SUV under recall.

It was filed Thursday in California federal court on behalf of four people

Plaintiffs own cars that are among 1.1million Fiat Chrysler Automobiles that are under recall worldwide

The lawsuit says the shifter issue potentially caused the actor's death when his SUV rolled backward and pinned him against a brick mailbox

The plaintiffs are suing for 'breach of contract, unfair competition, false advertising and unjust enrichment, among other things

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tions-Anton-Yelchins-death.html#ixzz4CgxvNjc4

operator error, fatal in this case, sad, but important reminder to read your operator's manual, know your vehicle. oh and use parking brake.

I read an article just now about how recalls on cars are increasing year-on-year as manufacturers start to up "efficiency" i.e. they're cutting corners to cut costs.
"Recalls have been trending up every year for the last five years," said ACCC deputy chair Delia Rickard. "More and more, we are seeing suppliers seeking to keep costs down, sourcing from overseas countries without having direct oversight of every step of the supply chain."
Australian article, but in a globalised economy I'm sure it's the same everywhere.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/cons...easing-accc-results-show-20160801-gqi9zq.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back