FL FL - Ace Kimberly & his 3 kids missing off coast near Englewood, 21 June 2016

drjones

Former Member
Reaction score
The man, his 13 and 15-year-old sons and 17-year-old daughter, departed from Sarasota around 7 a.m. aboard a 29-foot sailboat en-route to Fort Myers to repair the vessel.

Later that day, around 3 p.m., the man called his brother and said the boat was in six-foot seas, and he was attempting to survive with his children offshore of Englewood.

http://www.abc-7.com/story/32277725/3-minors-1-adult-sought-at-sea-by-coast-guard

I've been reading about this all morning and it sure doesn't sound good at all. I wasn't aware they were taking the boat to Ft. Myers for repair and have no radio onboard. It sure sounds like a horrific situation but am hoping against hope they are found quickly and safely.

supposed to be a coast guard update at 10am, will post a link if its being covered live.

I've been reading about this all morning and it sure doesn't sound good at all. I wasn't aware they were taking the boat to Ft. Myers for repair and have no radio onboard. It sure sounds like a horrific situation but am hoping against hope they are found quickly and safely.

no radio, no epirb = no good.

no radio, no epirb = no good.

No radio is bad news, but they did at least have a cell phone. Hopefully they can at least track that until it went dead. I don't really understand why the dad would have called his brother but not 911 though... Even if he didn't think things were bad enough to call 911 at the time, you'd think he'd have dialed once things got worse/if he realized his phone was dying. I hope that doesn't mean a big wave suddenly swamped the boat?:(

One of the WINK reporters said there are reports of a debris field 10 miles from Sanibel. That could be the delay.

oh no - debris field contained 6 life jackets, a tarp, etc - items were confirmed to be from the missing vessel

:(

They did 8 searches yesterday and last night. On the 9th search this morning they found a debris field :( with items that correlated with things that the family is known to have on the boat.

Prayers to the family...

They were know to have two kayaks that they were towing behind them. They found 6 life jackets while there were 7 on board. So there is some hope.

Debris field was found near Sanibel Island about 30 miles off-shore.

Awful. 😟

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Family was living in the boat anchored in Sarasota for about a year. It was not in great shape and they were traveling to Ft. Myers to his brothers place to do repairs.

UPDATE: Coast Guard identifies family missing off Florida coast

The U.S. Coast Guard has identified the missing father and three teenagers who were last seen on Sunday aboard a sailboat off Florida’s Gulf Coast.

The family members are Ace Kimberly, 45, and his teenagers Roger Kimberly, 13, Donny Kimberly, 15, and Rebecca Kimberly, 17 of Sarasota.

From the Coast Guard's announcement of the press conference: https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/4007/2857494/

An HC-130 Hercules fixed-wing rescue aircrew and an MH-60 Jayhawk aircrew from Air Station Clearwater, a 45-foot Response Boat-Medium boatcrew from Station Fort Myers Beach, a 45-foot Response Boat-Medium boatcrew from Station Cortez, Florida, and the Coast Guard Cutter Alligator are currently conducting searches.

Station Fort Myers Beach activated the Maritime Emergency Response Team which includes numerous state and local maritime emergency responders.

Air Station Miami also aided in the search.

Do you just NOT wear life jackets on a boat????? Especially a sailboat needing repairs? And he called his brother with the news he was in rough seas...yet nobody put a life jacket on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back