1197 users online (272 members and 925 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AZ - Floyd Roberts, 52, Grand Canyon, 18 June 2016

Treasure Island, FL teacher missing from hiking group in Grand Canyon last Saturday.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...erts/86163018/

Oh my, missing 4 days in the Grand Canyon....I can't imagine. I wonder how he became separated from the rest of the group? Hope he is found quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    Oh my, missing 4 days in the Grand Canyon....I can't imagine. I wonder how he became separated from the rest of the group? Hope he is found quickly.
    i just bumped the morgan heimer thread, hard to believe it is over a year now and no sign of him has ever been found, he was with a group too.

Quote Originally Posted by drjones View Post
    i just bumped the morgan heimer thread, hard to believe it is over a year now and no sign of him has ever been found, he was with a group too.
    I don't recall following that thread. Heading over there now to read. Thanks drj.

He is missing from the extreme western portion of Grand Canyon National Park, near Kelly Tanks in Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument. Here it is on a map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ke...4d-113.4263236

There is an excessive heat warning in effect this week for the Grand Canyon National Park.

Floyd E. Roberts III, 52, of Treasure Island, FL was reported missing by a member of his hiking group. Roberts is described as 5'11" tall, 170 lbs, with gray hair.

Source: https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/...and-canyon.htm
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Last edited by ClaireNC; 06-22-2016 at 12:25 PM.

A lot more info here: Search continues for Treasure Island man missing in Grand Canyon

Paraphrased from the article:
    On Friday (6/17) they set out on the hike. Before they reached the trailhead, the friends and Roberts reached a hill. They decided to take different routes. The friends went up and over and Roberts "contoured around the hill."

When the friend and his daughter reached the other side of the hill, they waited for Roberts. They got anxious and started looking for him. They retraced theirs steps; they went back to the road. They set up camp and spent the night...By morning, still no Roberts.

His friend was first able to report Roberts missing to the National Park Service on Saturday (about 3 pm), due to poor cell reception in the area.

Roberts was last equipped with 2 gallons of water, a week's worth of food, and a map of their planned route. The map also includes information about terrain.

Any updates seen?

Interesting. Why would you purposefully isolate from your traveling companions in such a potentially hostile environment? Almost like it was planned.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

i read that they chose different trails - one over the mountain and one around. Not unusual.

I agree that it isn't unusual to take different trails ... some hikers enjoy the "climb" while others prefer the long way. At least he was well equipped. It sounds like he must have had some type of medical emergency. I hope they find him soon!

NPS June 24 update search scaled back

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/...ern-canyon.htm
    UPDATE: Hiker Remains Missing in Western Grand Canyon
    News Release Date: June 24, 2016
    Grand Canyon, Ariz. Floyd E. Roberts III of Treasure Island, FL, remains missing in a remote area of western Grand Canyon. Responding rescue teams and resources to date include ground teams from Grand Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument, Mohave County, Coconino County Search and Rescue, and aerial support from Mesa Verde Helitack Crew and aircraft. The search area covers over 10 square miles and is in an extremely remote, rugged area of the canyon. Transportation to the area takes several hours and has made rescue operations and communication a challenge.
    Roberts is described as a 52 year old male, 170 lbs, 5'11" tall, brown/grey hair, brown eyes and was last seen wearing a red long-sleeved shirt, blue denim jeans, multi-colored mesh Nike Free sneakers, large blue Lowe Alpine Contour backpack, and white-rimmed sunglasses with orange lenses.
    Floyd Roberts became separated from companions during extreme heat conditions on June 17, 2016 at approximately 4:45 pm. The group planned a 9 day hike on the Shivwits Plateau that would exit the canyon via Separation Canyon. He was last seen near Kelly Tank heading towards Trail Canyon/214 Mile Canyon (Shanley Spring area) towards the river, but may have descended into 209 Mile Canyon.
    Following an intensive 6 day search effort the incident remains unresolved. With no additional clues to guide search efforts, the search will be scaled back to a continuous, but limited mode in which rangers and pilots will continue to search for clues when in the area. In addition, flyers with Robert's picture and description remain posted at various South Rim locations and in the search area at Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument.
    The National Park Service conducted a Search and Rescue operation. A missing persons investigation is ongoing. No further information is available at this time.Any individual with information about Floyd Roberts should call the National Park Service Dispatch line at 928-638-7805.
    -NPS-

Hike Description and Maps

Hike Description and Maps
    214 – Separation Canyon Loop (CW) – June 18 to June 26, 2016
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbv5fk1aqw4yv6r/2016-1%20Hike%20Description.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by SeesSeas; 06-26-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Mod - please repair link

Social media pages of friends and family of the missing person are off-limits and not allowed to be linked here. Sorry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast