GUILTY NY - Twins Ises & Moorfiyah Mathurin, 3 mos, smothered, 20 Oct 2005

Norma

Pook
Reaction score
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3556899

Infant Twin Boys Found Dead - What Happened?
Detectives Focused On Baby Formula As Possible Cause

East New York, Brooklyn -WABC, October 20, 2005) - Three-month-old twin brothers were discovered dead Thursday afternoon in Brooklyn.

The twins were by all acounts happy, healthy and beautiful three-month old boys, but suddenly today, their mother couldn't wake them up.

Now a medical examiner will try to determine what went wrong.

Just moments ago, their distraught father holding his only surviving son in his arms, told us he has no idea why his twin boys are dead.

Father: "We gave as much information as we can and they said they're investigating. I don't know what's going on. It's overwhelming."

N.J. Burkett reported earlier that crime scene detectives and firefighters were at a loss for information.

The twin infants died within minutes of one another with no outward indications of foul play. Paramedics were called to the home by the mother of the children and they were pronounced dead a short time later.

http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=39346

Soy mixture being probed in twins' deaths

BROOKLYN, N.Y: New York police, investigating the deaths of 3-month-old twin boys in Brooklyn, are testing a soy milk mixture fed to the babies before their nap.

The babies died Thursday, reports the New York Post. Their 21-year-old mother frantically called 911 after she couldn't rouse her sons, the report said.

Neighbors said she ran out on the street with one child in her arms, wailing, "The baby's not moving! Not breathing!"

The cause of death has not been determined and is pending results of an autopsy.

Police questioned the parents and said the babies showed no signs of abuse. The soymilk mixture has been taken to a laboratory for testing. They also removed stocks of the soy milk and the cornmeal mixture from two nearby stores as a precaution.

Oh NO! I hope it wasn't something in the formula. Other babies could be at risk.

What a nightmare this must have been for the parents! To have one baby stop breathing only to find the other dying as well must have been horrifying. My heart breaks for this poor family, and especially the surviving brother.

I used to run a support group for families with vaccine injured children. Whenever I read a story such as this one, I always wonder if the children were recently vaccinated.

She mixed her own formula from soy milk and something else. It was not a prepared mix she purchased.

I hope they find out what happened. Maybe they were allergic to soy? My cousin has 3 sets of twins and the youngest set almost died a few days apart but one was saved. One died of SIDS in his sleep and their little girl passed out at their son's funeral from acid reflux. It was so scary, and I can't imagine losing two children at one time.

luthersmama said:
My prediction: somebody's heroin stash got mixed in with the formula.

Oh God. I didn't even think of that. That would be awful.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3560416

Few Clues In Twins' Death
Detectives Focus On Cornmeal Porridge

Few clues tonight in the deaths of infant twin brothers in Brooklyn. The autopsy results are inconclusive at this point, but investigators are focusing on a homemade porridge fed to the boys.

In the hours before they died, police say the twins were fed not formula but a mixture of soy milk and cornmeal.

In the West Indian community it is known as cornmeal porridge. The question tonight is why did the children die after eating it?

Investigators say the children died after drinking a light mixture of cornmeal and soy milk, a traditional recipe in the West Indian community, known as cornmeal porridge.
Jamaican cooks told us that their children are raised on cornmeal porridge.

Cook: "My kids drank cornmeal and they're still alive."

Tonight, the mystery has deepened because after several hours today, the medical examiner could not pinpoint the cause of death. Further test are apparently necessary.

Paradise said:
I hope they find out what happened. Maybe they were allergic to soy? My cousin has 3 sets of twins and the youngest set almost died a few days apart but one was saved. One died of SIDS in his sleep and their little girl passed out at their son's funeral from acid reflux. It was so scary, and I can't imagine losing two children at one time.
I haven't heard of allergic reaction to soy milk although it's possible I guess. Both of mine were allergic to regular baby formula and put on soy formula by their pediatrician. I would think cornmeal would not be a good thing for such a small babies digestive system. But apparently it's what they always fed their children.

MrsMush99 said:
Oh NO! I hope it wasn't something in the formula. Other babies could be at risk.

I was thinking the same - that OR vaccinations.... :( OMGosh. Those poor people. It surely doesn't sound like foul play though.

What a tragedy. This family must be devastated. :(

FWIW, I have no opinion on this case. I think the ME needs to release all of his findings first. Here are a few links to information about SIDS and twins. The first link comes to the conclusion that both children dying of SIDS is rare, however the second link is the sids-network and goes into detail of what can happen when both twins die. I really chopped up the article because of copy right laws, so you might want to take a look.

JMHO
fran

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10401808&dopt=Abstract

Sudden infant death syndrome among twins.

http://sids-network.org/fp/wood_marla10.htm
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000

Twins and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Each year, an estimated 7,000 babies die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), in the United States alone. More children die of SIDS than Aids, Cancer, Heart disease, Child Abuse, Cystic Fibrosis and Muscular Dystrophy combined (Holcher 1). It is by far the deadliest and the most mysterious syndrome known to effect children. Very little is known about SIDS, however, statistics show that 95 percent of SIDS deaths happen between 2 and 4 months of age.

......................snip...............
The rate for SIDS deaths in singleton babies is 1 baby per thousand births. The rate for SIDS deaths in twins has been as high as 9 babies per thousand births, but is usually documented as 4 deaths per thousand babies. (Beal 1039).

.............snip.................
He also examined the time span of the deaths, and found that in 9 of the 17 cases, the co-twins died on the same day, while the remaining 6 died within one month of their twin (Spiers 5). His data suggests that the time period when family should be most concerned about the surviving twin is one month.

............snip.............
The simultaneous death of both twins raises suspicion toward the parents or care givers. Dr. John E. Smialek, is considered to be a well-known expert in the studies of Simultaneous SIDS in twins. In his studies, he has encountered several cases of simultaneous SIDS as a respected Medical Examiner in the Baltimore, Maryland area. He has personally worked on 9 of these cases. In Wayne County, Mi., two cases of simultaneous SIDS occurred within 5 years of each other. During the first case the death of the twins resulted in an atmosphere of intense suspicion of the parents that was verbalized by members of the medical community and other person who were unaware of this medical phenomenon. The twins' deaths were labeled as SIDS after intense investigations involving both local police agencies and the medical examiner. After numerous tests came back negative, the cause of death was listed as SIDS (Smialek 817). When simultaneous twin deaths

Paradise said:

Paradise:

First, let me say how sorry I am about your cousin's baby. I know someone who lost a little one to SIDS, it's so tragic.

On the other hand, I find what happened to the second child curious. They've said for years they really don't know what causes SIDS for sure. From what I've always read, they usually put infant 'unexplained death' in that category. I wonder if it's something, or perhaps many of them, could be as simple as 'acid reflux.' I mean, when adults have it, we get an upset stomach or heartburn. But if an infant gets it, perhaps their body isn't equipped yet to handle it, causing death.

Did they study it any further? Did the little one ever experience this same symptom again?

Sorry to ask so many questions about something I'm sure still pains you, but I wonder if it's coincidental or???????????

JMHO
fran

luthersmama said:
My prediction: somebody's heroin stash got mixed in with the formula.
No, it is not the case. The autopsy would have shown that. As of now, it is still a mystery why the children died.:(

deandaniellws said:
No, because they would have already found out that if it was the case.

This morning when I posted my theory it was not so unlikely because they might not have gotten the tox tests back yet. Now it appears that if drugs had been the cause they would have figured it out by now.

fran said:
Paradise:

First, let me say how sorry I am about your cousin's baby. I know someone who lost a little one to SIDS, it's so tragic.

On the other hand, I find what happened to the second child curious. They've said for years they really don't know what causes SIDS for sure. From what I've always read, they usually put infant 'unexplained death' in that category. I wonder if it's something, or perhaps many of them, could be as simple as 'acid reflux.' I mean, when adults have it, we get an upset stomach or heartburn. But if an infant gets it, perhaps their body isn't equipped yet to handle it, causing death.

Did they study it any further? Did the little one ever experience this same symptom again?

Sorry to ask so many questions about something I'm sure still pains you, but I wonder if it's coincidental or???????????

JMHO
fran
Yes they studied it further and she was kept in the hospital on a breathing monitor for a couple days and was sent home with the breathing monitor and a feeding tube to regulate her formula intake. She was put on some acid reflux meds and my cousin was told to keep her upright after she ate, or at the very least put her in her carseat so she wasn't laying flat. Her brother's organs were sent out to be tested and my cousin said on his death certificate they listed SIDS.

This reminds me of that Ask Dr Baden show, Autopsy I think. I watched one night about a women who had mystreiously lost several (3 maybe?) children at young ages, maybe some twins, cannot remember. Of course the authorities were suspicious of her, but never chrged her. She went to DR B to find out what caused her children to keep passing.

He determined she was rolling over on them at night. Very strange. But fact can often be stranger than fiction.

here it is:

How Did Terrie Petrie's Babies Die?
In 2000, an Ontario woman named Terrie Petrie gave birth to a daughter, her second child. Eight days later, the baby was dead, and the cause of death was determined to be SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). A year and a half later, Terrie found out she was pregnant again, this time with twin boys. But three months and one week after the boys were born, they too died mysteriously - both on the same night. With police suspicious and newspapers vilifying her, Terrie wrote Dr. Baden on the Autopsy website, then flew to New York for an interview. Five months, myriad forensic analyses and a polygraph test later, Dr. Baden summoned Terrie back to deliver his opinion as to why the three babies died. As he explains to Terrie, there were four possibilities: 1) genetic abnormality; 2) SIDS; 3) accidental roll-over; and 4) homicide. Dr. Baden's verdict - based on evidence and interviews by both Terrie and her friend Tammy - is "not quite the answer I wanted to hear," confesses a sobbing Terrie.

http://www.hbo.com/autopsy/episode/10_index.html

JBean said:
here it is:

How Did Terrie Petrie's Babies Die?
In 2000, an Ontario woman named Terrie Petrie gave birth to a daughter, her second child. Eight days later, the baby was dead, and the cause of death was determined to be SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). A year and a half later, Terrie found out she was pregnant again, this time with twin boys. But three months and one week after the boys were born, they too died mysteriously - both on the same night. With police suspicious and newspapers vilifying her, Terrie wrote Dr. Baden on the Autopsy website, then flew to New York for an interview. Five months, myriad forensic analyses and a polygraph test later, Dr. Baden summoned Terrie back to deliver his opinion as to why the three babies died. As he explains to Terrie, there were four possibilities: 1) genetic abnormality; 2) SIDS; 3) accidental roll-over; and 4) homicide. Dr. Baden's verdict - based on evidence and interviews by both Terrie and her friend Tammy - is "not quite the answer I wanted to hear," confesses a sobbing Terrie.

http://www.hbo.com/autopsy/episode/10_index.html

Okay, I'll bite. What did he say?

angelmom said:
Okay, I'll bite. What did he say?
Oh sorry, I wasn't clear i guess. I said it in the ealrier post..accidental rollover, meaning the mom rolled over on the babies.
It was a very sad show. BTW, this is a true story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back