782 users online (120 members and 662 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    76
    interesting case. I think the key is those pictures of her. she does have a distinct look. too bad it'd not clear exactly where her body is located so they can make some tests on her. however. checking yearbooks from Minnesota would be a good idea. think she was mist likely native American and she was still a teen

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    I've been wanting to do a recon for this girl, but I haven't gotten around to it until now.

    Last edited by CarlK90245; 08-16-2017 at 08:32 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    I have an interesting lead on this case.

    (I can't say her name here because this info has not been confirmed with LE)

    A 14 year old Native American (Lakota) girl from Rapid City, South Dakota named either Sherry or Shannon L------. Leaves on a bus sometime around 1975 or 1976, along with an older female companion (who was "a little older" than she, to visit her father and grandmother in California. The father goes to the bus station to meet her, and she is not on the bus. She was never seen again.

    Her father spent the rest of his life looking for her, but he passed in 2008. The cousin does not know if a MP report is on file with Rapid City PD, but she did say that the father was contacted several times about unidentified bodies. That would seem to imply that law enforcement was made aware of her disappearance.

    Her cousin, who told me this story, is her only surviving close relative. Her cousin didn't know her very well, and says that her info was based on accounts told by the cousin's mother. The cousin provided me with the name of the girl's father. She doesn't remember the name of the girl's mother. The father remarried a couple of times, and his most recent wife passed in 2015. Neither a "Shannon" or "Sherry" is listed as a surviving (or deceased) relative in the father's obit, or that of the father's most recent wife.

    The cousin does not have any photos of Sherry/Shannon. But she believes that she went to elementary school at General Beadle Elementary School, and then probably North Middle School (both in Rapid City). But she wasn't sure that she went to school regularly because she was said to be "a wild teenager".

    Interesting info if it is true. I'll have to check with Rapid City PD tomorrow to see if they have any record of her.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    I have an interesting lead on this case.

    (I can't say her name here because this info has not been confirmed with LE)

    A 14 year old Native American (Lakota) girl from Rapid City, South Dakota named either Sherry or Shannon L------. Leaves on a bus sometime around 1975 or 1976, along with an older female companion (who was "a little older" than she, to visit her father and grandmother in California. The father goes to the bus station to meet her, and she is not on the bus. She was never seen again.

    Her father spent the rest of his life looking for her, but he passed in 2008. The cousin does not know if a MP report is on file with Rapid City PD, but she did say that the father was contacted several times about unidentified bodies. That would seem to imply that law enforcement was made aware of her disappearance.

    Her cousin, who told me this story, is her only surviving close relative. Her cousin didn't know her very well, and says that her info was based on accounts told by the cousin's mother. The cousin provided me with the name of the girl's father. She doesn't remember the name of the girl's mother. The father remarried a couple of times, and his most recent wife passed in 2015. Neither a "Shannon" or "Sherry" is listed as a surviving (or deceased) relative in the father's obit, or that of the father's most recent wife.

    The cousin does not have any photos of Sherry/Shannon. But she believes that she went to elementary school at General Beadle Elementary School, and then probably North Middle School (both in Rapid City). But she wasn't sure that she went to school regularly because she was said to be "a wild teenager".

    Interesting info if it is true. I'll have to check with Rapid City PD tomorrow to see if they have any record of her.
    I really hope this leads to something.
    Who was Walker County Jane Doe?




    John Doe - February 9, 1968 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread
    John Doe - October 31, 1967 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    I have an interesting lead on this case.

    (I can't say her name here because this info has not been confirmed with LE)

    A 14 year old Native American (Lakota) girl from Rapid City, South Dakota named either Sherry or Shannon L------. Leaves on a bus sometime around 1975 or 1976, along with an older female companion (who was "a little older" than she, to visit her father and grandmother in California. The father goes to the bus station to meet her, and she is not on the bus. She was never seen again.

    Her father spent the rest of his life looking for her, but he passed in 2008. The cousin does not know if a MP report is on file with Rapid City PD, but she did say that the father was contacted several times about unidentified bodies. That would seem to imply that law enforcement was made aware of her disappearance.

    Her cousin, who told me this story, is her only surviving close relative. Her cousin didn't know her very well, and says that her info was based on accounts told by the cousin's mother. The cousin provided me with the name of the girl's father. She doesn't remember the name of the girl's mother. The father remarried a couple of times, and his most recent wife passed in 2015. Neither a "Shannon" or "Sherry" is listed as a surviving (or deceased) relative in the father's obit, or that of the father's most recent wife.

    The cousin does not have any photos of Sherry/Shannon. But she believes that she went to elementary school at General Beadle Elementary School, and then probably North Middle School (both in Rapid City). But she wasn't sure that she went to school regularly because she was said to be "a wild teenager".

    Interesting info if it is true. I'll have to check with Rapid City PD tomorrow to see if they have any record of her.
    The Rapid City cold case detective contacted me back to say he found some info on the girl in question. Her name wasn't Sherry or Shannon. Her name is Donna Marie Larrabee.

    She was reported missing in May 1976, and by LE located her shortly after that in Wyoming with two female friends. If in fact she was seen by LE in May, then she would not be our Jane Doe (who was found in March 1976). However, it appears that she was not seen after the brief LE contact in Wyoming. I am still interested in finding out more about her, if not for this Jane Doe, possibly for some other Jane Doe found between Rapid City South Dakota and California.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The Rapid City cold case detective contacted me back to say he found some info on the girl in question. Her name wasn't Sherry or Shannon. Her name is Donna Marie Larrabee.

    She was reported missing in May 1976, and by LE located her shortly after that in Wyoming with two female friends. If in fact she was seen by LE in May, then she would not be our Jane Doe (who was found in March 1976). However, it appears that she was not seen after the brief LE contact in Wyoming. I am still interested in finding out more about her, if not for this Jane Doe, possibly for some other Jane Doe found between Rapid City South Dakota and California.
    I see that the Rapid City PD did create a NamUs casefile for Donna Larrabee:
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/40010/0

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,155
    Do we know where in Wyoming Donna may have been spotted? I ask because in 1974, Carlene Brown and her friend, who was later found murdered, went missing in Rawlins. A few others did, too, right about that time, and I wonder if their disappearances could be related. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Alleykins; 10-08-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleykins View Post
    Do we know where in Wyoming Donna may have been spotted? I ask because in 1974, Carlene Brown and her friend, who was later found murdered, went missing in Rawlins. A few others did, too, right about that time, and I wonder if their disappearances could be related. Just a thought.
    Good thought. I'd been thinking if Donna was trying to get to San Francisco/Northern California she'd try and hitch rides along I-80, and if she was trying to get to Southern California she'd probably find rides along I-80 to Salt Lake City, then take I-15 through Las Vegas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2017, 10:53 AM
  2. GUILTY TN - Tara Cole, 32, dies in Cumberland River, Nashville, 11 Aug 2006
    By Annie in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 02:32 PM
  3. Identified! WA - Spokane Co., Wht/NtvAmFem UP12065, Jan'14 - Maria Vega
    By astridxx in forum Identified!
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM
  4. Identified! NM - Shiprock, NtvAmFem found in canal, Jul'12 - Brenda Nez
    By sayd in forum Identified!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 11:47 AM
  5. Identified! TN - Nashville, Female body on river bank, Oct'07 - Caroline Grollnek
    By MelInTN in forum Identified!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Tags for this Thread