647 users online (76 members and 571 guests)  

Websleuths News

Tropical Storm Alpha has now formed, for the first time ever!

(AP) Tropical Storm Alpha formed Saturday in the Caribbean, setting the record for the most named storms in an Atlantic hurricane season and marking the first time forecasters had to turn to the Greek alphabet for names.

The previous record of 21 named storms had stood since 1933. Alpha was the 22nd to reach tropical storm strength this year, and the season doesn't end until Nov. 30.

At 5 p.m. EDT, Alpha had sustained winds of about 40 mph 1 mph over the threshold for a tropical storm.

It was centered about 210 miles west-southwest of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and about 125 miles south-southeast of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, and moving northwest at about 15 mph, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

A tropical storm warning was in place for Haiti and parts of the Dominican Republic, and a tropical storm watch was in effect for the Turks and Caicos islands and the southeastern Bahamas.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I am not having a celebration party!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    WOW!!!! I kinda figured that it would happen, but it is
    still hard to believe! Alpha!
    What a crazy year!

love,

Ariel

How is this for a coincidence?? Tropical Storm Alpha and Hurricane Wilma are predicted, at this time, to possibly run parallel to each other up the East Coast, beginning on Monday.

Tropical Storm Alpha Three Day Cone
    http://tinyurl.com/bfjvl

Hurricane Wilma Three Day Cone
    http://tinyurl.com/9xtwr

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    How is this for a coincidence?? Tropical Storm Alpha and Hurricane Wilma are predicted, at this time, to possibly run parallel to each other up the East Coast.

Tropical Storm Alpha Three Day Cone
    http://tinyurl.com/bfjvl

Hurricane Wilma Three Day Cone
    http://tinyurl.com/9xtwr
    If they run into each other will they become Tropicane Wilpha?

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    LOL!!

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Don't know, but Alpha being what it is, can swing either way. Could end up, Wilma & Alphena, one very happy couple.

Okay, I have a question. If Alpha were, God forbid, to become a storm that did severe damage - the kind where they won't reuse the name - and if, God forbid, we ever had another hurricane season like this one again, what name would they use for the 21st storm?

Or do I just need to go ahead and email the weather channel so they will have something to talk about while we wait?

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom
    Okay, I have a question. If Alpha were, God forbid, to become a storm that did severe damage - the kind where they won't reuse the name - and if, God forbid, we ever had another hurricane season like this one again, what name would they use for the 21st storm?

Or do I just need to go ahead and email the weather channel so they will have something to talk about while we wait?
    Wow, what an excellent question!!!! I'll bet you they haven't thought that far in advance, since we've never gotten to Alpha before in 60 years. Same would apply to Beta, Gamma, etc. Good question, indeed!

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Wow, what an excellent question!!!! I'll bet you they haven't thought that far in advance, since we've never gotten to Alpha before in 60 years. Same would apply to Beta, Gamma, etc. Good question, indeed!
    Thank you. According to my 9 year old son, I'm a professional worrier who can think of stuff no one has ever dreamed of. Please don't try this at home.

What happened to Xavier, Yvonne, or Zeus?

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    I think (yes, I do do that), if Alpha amounts to nothing and we end up with that many storms again next year, they will just call it Alpha again - until it becomes a major hurricance - once it becomes a major hurricane that does catastrophic damage, they "retire" the name. What happens after that I don't know, maybe just skip A and go to B.

Why do they have to be so doggone precise with these names anyway - once it gets this far, just pick a name. Who cares!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by Pook
    What happened to Xavier, Yvonne, or Zeus?
    W is the last letter they use to name hurricanes, then they go to the greek alphabet. I don't get it! I think with the way people come up with weird names for their children today, surely they can come up with names for hurricanes!!

Zoe for example.

Cute name

Angry Geesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    How is this for a coincidence?? Tropical Storm Alpha and Hurricane Wilma are predicted, at this time, to possibly run parallel to each other up the East Coast, beginning on Monday.
    Well, I'm certainly pleased to get THAT little bit of news!

Buzz, you're such a bearer of good tidings sometimes.

Talking

Maybe it could be Hurrical Alma!