Tropical Storm Alpha has now formed, for the first time ever!

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(AP) Tropical Storm Alpha formed Saturday in the Caribbean, setting the record for the most named storms in an Atlantic hurricane season and marking the first time forecasters had to turn to the Greek alphabet for names.

The previous record of 21 named storms had stood since 1933. Alpha was the 22nd to reach tropical storm strength this year, and the season doesn't end until Nov. 30.

At 5 p.m. EDT, Alpha had sustained winds of about 40 mph — 1 mph over the threshold for a tropical storm.

It was centered about 210 miles west-southwest of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and about 125 miles south-southeast of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, and moving northwest at about 15 mph, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

A tropical storm warning was in place for Haiti and parts of the Dominican Republic, and a tropical storm watch was in effect for the Turks and Caicos islands and the southeastern Bahamas.

WOW!!!! I kinda figured that it would happen, but it is
still hard to believe! Alpha!
What a crazy year!

love,

Ariel

Okay, I have a question. If Alpha were, God forbid, to become a storm that did severe damage - the kind where they won't reuse the name - and if, God forbid, we ever had another hurricane season like this one again, what name would they use for the 21st storm?

Or do I just need to go ahead and email the weather channel so they will have something to talk about while we wait?

angelmom said:
Okay, I have a question. If Alpha were, God forbid, to become a storm that did severe damage - the kind where they won't reuse the name - and if, God forbid, we ever had another hurricane season like this one again, what name would they use for the 21st storm?

Or do I just need to go ahead and email the weather channel so they will have something to talk about while we wait?
Wow, what an excellent question!!!! I'll bet you they haven't thought that far in advance, since we've never gotten to Alpha before in 60 years. Same would apply to Beta, Gamma, etc. Good question, indeed!

Dark Knight said:
Wow, what an excellent question!!!! I'll bet you they haven't thought that far in advance, since we've never gotten to Alpha before in 60 years. Same would apply to Beta, Gamma, etc. Good question, indeed!

:blushing: Thank you. According to my 9 year old son, I'm a professional worrier who can think of stuff no one has ever dreamed of. Please don't try this at home.

I think (yes, I do do that), if Alpha amounts to nothing and we end up with that many storms again next year, they will just call it Alpha again - until it becomes a major hurricance - once it becomes a major hurricane that does catastrophic damage, they "retire" the name. What happens after that I don't know, maybe just skip A and go to B.

Why do they have to be so doggone precise with these names anyway - once it gets this far, just pick a name. Who cares!

Pook said:
What happened to Xavier, Yvonne, or Zeus?
W is the last letter they use to name hurricanes, then they go to the greek alphabet. I don't get it! I think with the way people come up with weird names for their children today, surely they can come up with names for hurricanes!!

Zoe for example.

Cute name :)

Buzzm1 said:
How is this for a coincidence?? Tropical Storm Alpha and Hurricane Wilma are predicted, at this time, to possibly run parallel to each other up the East Coast, beginning on Monday.

Well, I'm certainly pleased to get THAT little bit of news!
tap1.gif

Buzz, you're such a bearer of good tidings sometimes.
hit29.gif

eureia.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni