1015 users online (180 members and 835 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MI - David Cole, 16, & Timothy Fowler, 17, Lenawee County, 10 May 1982

Crime Stoppers is asking for help with this 1982 case. If anyone has any thoughts or wants to look deeper, please do whatever you can. Thank you.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/in...river_home_pop
    Decades after two teens burned to death, officials still hope for information

The double murder of David Cole and Timothy Fowler in the small Lenawee County town in 1982 haunted the town.

LENAWEE COUNTY, MI More than 30 years ago, two 17-year-old boys were locked inside a bathroom and burned alive in a Lenawee County farmhouse.

David Ray Cole and Timothy Paul Fowler's May 10, 1982, deaths were ruled a homicide and their case remains unsolved.

Now, Crime Stoppers seek tips in the case as they report police believe there are people in Lenawee and Monroe counties who "have knowledge of who is responsible."

Lenawee County Sheriff's Capt. Jeff Ewald said during a phone interview that a detective has been assigned to the case and has been working on it a couple of months.

He said the family had been in contact with the department, but that there were no new leads or evidence to report.

The captain said since the case was pre-computer, it required the detective to computerize and go over everything again. Ewald said he has made a lot of contact regarding the case.
    Police ruled David, who lived in the 5118 Pieh Highway residence, and Timothy were herded into the bathroom of the rural farmhouse and locked inside.

"Gasoline was splashed in front of the bathroom door and set afire," a March 20, 1983 Citizen Patriot article reads. "Ordered into the windowless bathroom by their assailants, the boys soon realized their danger as smoke seeped under the door, the room's only exit. One tried to survive by filling the bathtub with water.
    "His body was found with the fiberglass tub melted around him."

A five-gallon gasoline can, kept in the barn, was found along with the bodies of the boys in the rubble from the home.
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

This is from a small town in the southeastern part of Michigan.
    David Cole lived at the Pieh Rd. address in Blissfield, Michigan. Deerfield (where both boys went to school) is just north of Blissfield.

http://nbc24.com/news/local/officials-continue-to-ask-for-tips-in-1982-fatal-deerfield-fire-case

Cole's parents (mother and stepfather) were out of town at the time. Both were in street clothes, possibly awake when fire started. Fire was ruled arson, and means of death as homicide.

You can contact the following:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KayElJay; 06-28-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: small edit per user request :)
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I found this all a bit confusing regarding locations. If anyone has better info, correct me if I may be wrong.

Cole lived at Pieh Hwy. in Blissfield (farmhouse burned)
    Both attended Deerfield Schools
    It is possible this involved a disagreement with kids from Petersburg.

These are three small towns in SE Michigan farm country, very close together. It seems highly likely (to me) that someone knows or suspects someone. Rather amazing (again, to me) that if more than one person was involved nothing has turned up by now.
    Last edited by Spellbound; 06-27-2016 at 08:26 PM.
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

There has been rumors of who it was and it is my understanding they were questioned but nothing ever came about it. They may have been "seeing" a couple of girls from Petersburg/Summerfield school.

It is strange, the way the school districts are, we had people that had a Deerfield address attend Summerfield in Petersburg. I didn't realize they both went to Dundee, I thought they went to Deerfield. I'll have to double check that again

Last edited by dmc43613; 06-27-2016 at 08:12 PM.

I think it is OK to post the Justice for Tim Fowler and David Cole FB page. (Mod, please remove if not allowed)

https://www.facebook.com/timfowlerdavidcole/
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

Quote Originally Posted by dmc43613 View Post
    It is strange, the way the school districts are, we had people that had a Deerfield address attend Summerfield in Petersburg. I didn't realize they both went to Dundee, I thought they went to Deerfield. I'll have to double check that again

Either I typed it out of habit or auto correct turned Deerfield into Dundee. It was my mistake, dmc. Thanks for catching it so I could edit. It is fixed now. Both boys attended Deerfield.
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    I would assume that more than one person was involved so maybe it's time to put out that police "are close" and offer a deal to the first one to come forward. You hate to see this one person get off easy but two convictions out of three is better than no convictions ever.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

I would love to know what it was that got the 3 original questioned "off" so to speak.

rosesfromangels is offline "The trilling wire in the blood / Sings below inveterate scars." - Eliot
    How far away was the mother/step father? I know the article said out of town visiting someone sick. Where, how far?
    My posts are opinion and speculation only, and may not be used for any purpose outside of this forum.

The parents were out of town in West Virginia.

rosesfromangels is offline "The trilling wire in the blood / Sings below inveterate scars." - Eliot
    So...the gasoline can was from the barn. Now granted, it's not terribly unusual to find a gas can in a barn for tractors and what not. But either the Perp(s) knew the lay of that farm, or didn't premeditate and came upon the gas can. I suggest it was the former.
    My posts are opinion and speculation only, and may not be used for any purpose outside of this forum.

It was not coincidence that this happened while the parents were away. Who else besides the boys and the parents (of both) knew the farm owners would be away?

Kids do a lot of talking and it is possible many of their friends knew the parents were out of town. From the first article in the opening post:

The two best friends were staying at David's mother and stepfather's home while they were in West Virginia visiting a sick relative.
    "I'd told him I'd just as soon Tim not stay," Sandra Hall, David's mother, told the Citizen Patriot at the time, "but if David wanted to stay at Tim's, it was OK just as long he came back to turn on the lights and feed the animals."

Were they at David's house to spend the night, or just to feed the animals? Who would have known they were there?
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast